Tyren Jones to Bama

Dwyer's Twitter said:
congrats to my lil bro @tyrenjones2 for committing to bama. They are getting one hell of a running back the next big time player from #cobb

nm

Some of us (including me) can't access Twitter at work.
The post linked above:

"congrats to my lil bro @tyrenjones2 for committing to bama. They are getting one hell of a running back the next big time player from #cobb"

Another one referenced in this thread (when someone said it would've been nice to have him at Tech):

"@craigsclarke yea I know he wanted to run in a legit system and win national titles he said. I can't blame him for that."

Last edited:
For quoting what somebody said? The animosity towards Dwyer is getting old.

Dwyer does need to shut up. I'm surprised CPJ allows him to hang around the program. It's not the first time he's backhanded the program with stupid comments (whether they're his or not).

Saying that Alabama runs a "legit" system doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. There are still QBs who commit to teams because they run a "pro-style" system. Look at the classes Charlie Weis drew in for years at Notre Dame, didn't seem to help him much. At the same time look at kids like Pat White. He went to WVU because he would have the chance to play QB. For 4 years (and still) Alabama fan fretted about how they let him get out of Mobile. They seem to pay little attention to the fact that, under Shula, he may not have amounted to anything. Place Reggie Ball in our current system.

I do think running backs are a little bit different, but our system is also a little bit different. There are plenty of good lineman in the NFL who never played few snaps in college with a hand on the ground.

At the end, its not like this kid said he was going to Tennessee or Vandy because they ran a "legit" system. He has chosen to "commit" (such promises should be in quotes w/regards to that school) to the school that has won the last two national championships. If it weren't for my deep hatred for Alabama football I would probably jump at the chance too.

BTW. Speaking to Alabama again. The last time a team had a RB drafted in the first round in back to back years. 1989-1990: Sammie Smith and Dexter Carter
1985-1986. Florida: Lorenzo Hampton and John L. Williams.

(caveat: Rod Bernstine and Roger Vick were drafted from TAMU in 1987, Darren Mcfadden and Felix Jones from Arkansas in 2008)

Further. Tom Osborne's Running Backs at Nebraska

2001 6 29 192 Dan Alexander Titans
1999 4 21 116 Joel Makovicka Cardinals
1998 3 15 76 Ahman Green Seahawks
1996 1 6 6 Lawrence Phillips Rams
1995 6 21 192 Cory Schlesinger Lions
1994 3 15 80 Calvin Jones Raiders
1993 4 25 109 Derek Brown Saints
1993 7 16 184 Lance Lewis Colts
1992 6 27 167 Nate Turner Bills
1990 8 13 206 Ken Clark Colts
1990 12 15 319 Richard Bell Steelers
1988 6 10 147 Keith Jones Rams
1986 3 1 56 Tom Rathman 49ers
1986 7 15 181 Paul Miles Seahawks
1985 10 15 267 Jeff Smith Chiefs
1984u 1 2 2 Mike Rozier Oilers
1984u 3 24 80 Mark Schellen 49ers
1983 2 21 49 Roger Craig 49ers
1982 7 8 175 Phil Bates Lions
1981 2 24 52 Jarvis Redwine Vikings
1981 2 28 56 Andra Franklin Dolphins
1980 4 21 104 I.M. Hipp Falcons
1979 3 24 80 Rick Berns Buccaneers
1978 4 4 88 Dodie Donnell Jets
1978 8 24 218 Monte Anthony Colts
1976 4 14 106 Tony Davis Bengals
1976 12 11 330 John O'Leary Bears
1974 13 17 329 Ralph Powell Falcons
1973 3 9 61 Bill Olds Colts
1973 11 23 283 Jerry List Raiders

Plenty of kids drafted, only one first rounder. During that same period:
School First Rounders
Oklahoma 5
Alabama 2
Miami 5
Florida 6
Florida State 4
USC 4
Texas 3
Penn State 7

I realize this is quite arbitrary and if recruiting rankings were the same back then as they are now it might be a better measure....but it doesn't take a conventionally "talented" running back to win football games. I don't want to be simplistic as I believe recruiting, developing talent, and making players work with your system is far more complex than tables. But here's the data nonetheless.

(also, these nebraska teams had an ENORMOUS number of running backs get drafted)

He has chosen to "commit" (such promises should be in quotes w/regards to that school) to the school that has won the last two national championships. If it weren't for my deep hatred for Alabama football I would probably jump at the chance too.
auburn won previous year, not bama

Also, NFL has changed since the 90s, so that could be part of it. RBs having to catch out of backfield is now important, but not sure how much Ingram and Richardson did that at Bama.

Dwyer does need to shut up. I'm surprised CPJ allows him to hang around the program. It's not the first time he's backhanded the program with stupid comments (whether they're his or not).

What is stupid about his comment? Look at the number of players drafted coming out of Bama vs GT. Bama has also won 2 out of the last 3 MNC's. Seriously, to say our program competes to Bama is laughable. There is not much shame, because 115 our of 120 D-1A schools dont really compare to the success they have had in recent history.

What is stupid about his comment? Look at the number of players drafted coming out of Bama vs GT. Bama has also won 2 out of the last 3 MNC's. Seriously, to say our program competes to Bama is laughable. There is not much shame, because 115 our of 120 D-1A schools dont really compare to the success they have had in recent history.

I have no problem if he posts stuff like that if he never went to GT and never played football there on scholarship. But he did. I consider them backhanded comments. It's not the first time either.

I have no problem if he posts stuff like that if he never went to GT and never played football there on scholarship. But he did. I consider them backhanded comments. It's not the first time either.

This. It's called loyalty, respect and goodwill for an institution that is responsible for him (Dwyer) being where he is. You may say, truthfully, that he would been good anywhere he went. That is not the point. He went to GT, he is a Tech man and he owes it to the institution. If I were CPJ I would boot him off campus.

As NashvilleJacket says, this is not the first time either.

Reading other tweets, following that link, I saw where he tweeted wtte of goodnight tweeters #steelernation and #GaTech

I don't think he's hating. I think some of y'all just sensitive

Back