UConn: "We know we can play with the Georgia Techs, the Miamis, the BCs."

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Do the link, its a nice article on UConn football. It also gives an injury report for this week.
Winning is Everything

"We surprised a lot of people. We definitely didn't surprise ourselves," defensive tackle Sean Mulcahy said. "We knew we could do this. Coach told us a week ago that no one believes we can win except the people in the locker room. It's not satisfying, but it's definitely not a negative. It's a positive step. We've just got to finish better."
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Lets see how long did it take FSU to learn to play with the big boys 30 or 40 years? Yes UConn may be able to play with the big boys but not this year.

Delusional thinking on UConn's part.

We're going to wear them out like a cheap suit.

The UConn players will give it their all, and have nothing to be ashamed of, but it just will not be enough. They are out of their league.

This will be the equivalent of our 2nd preseason game. I expect the 1st string to earn it's keep by tacking about 27 points on the scoreboard in the 1Q, then be through for the day.

Virtually anyone GT is considering playing this year will get a chance to show what he has to offer (again).

We'll not use anything fancy on offense. We're saving our clever stuff for the next two games, which will be real tests.

UConn might score 3, 7, or even 10 points, when someone misses his assignment or makes a bad tackle on D; or the O turns the ball over.

GT will work hard on reducing penalties - especially those caused by O formation/execution errors.

The game should never have been scheduled, but (from what we hear) da Braine had few choices after MTSU pulled out late.

UConn will improve in time, and may be competitive in it's new conference in time. But it's a poodle in a pit bull fight this year.

Originally posted by Goldtimer:
The game should never have been scheduled, but (from what we hear) da Braine had few choices....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Braine-dead had few choices... as poor as the one he made to play @Uconn High.

There is an AP article by Paul Newberry in our local paper this morning basically giving us a big horse-laugh about scheduling to play @Uconn. He interviewed several of our players and they are sheepishly trying to defend the Braine-dead decision. (I will link the very damaging article if I can find it on-line.)

I am sure this article is running in many of the local papers all over the state and is giving all the ugag, UT, UA, fans etc just one more thing to laugh at TECH about....and this time they are right to laugh at TECH....it definitely was a Braine-dead decision.

puke.gif
playing @Uconn

I expect a beating on UConn to rival what we did last year to Navy. Maybe Chan will have mercy on them and call off the Jackets early.

This will be nothing more than a scrimmage.

Here's link to Newbery article:
http://augustachronicle.com/stories/090402/gat_124-4414.shtml

(You'll find links to most such articles at the Daily Buzz - as this one was.)

Seems like it was misrepresented a bit above.

Two interesting comments in it struck me, though:

Da Braine could have scheduled the game in Atlanta, but thought 6 home games were enough, and had concerns about whether the stadium would be ready. IMO, he should have scheduled it in Atlanta, even if it ended up being played in the Dome, as a reward to loyal season ticket holders.

Will Glover says the fans are only noticed by the players before the game. While we know this is not quite true - we've all seen players extolling the crowd to get into the game; it's probably true that whether fans or standing or sitting (a popular heated argument on the Hive) probably has LITTLE IMPACT on the final score. Better to be along YJAlley when they walk in and standing, cheering, and waving pom poms (where they heck were the boxes full of them Saturday - who dropped the ball on that?) when they run on and off the field before the game and at the half.

I'll throw in behind tha' Braine on this one (like a good little wiener) but I hope he makes a smarter call next time. This game should definitely be in Atlanta although it will be good for drumming up local UCONN support for season ticket sales (40,000 seats next year) but who cares about that? As far as playing in front of 16,200 fans is concerned, isn't that the avg turnout at a Duke game? Anyway, TECH by at least
3 TDs.

One thing to remember about this game....we won't have nearly as many players available as we did last week. We probably won't carry over 65 players up there.

If we do get ahead, the second team will probably get a lot of PT. A lot of the walkons, etc., won't be there to play.

Originally posted by Techster1:
One thing to remember about this game....we won't have nearly as many players available as we did last week. We probably won't carry over 65 players up there.

If we do get ahead, the second team will probably get a lot of PT. A lot of the walkons, etc., won't be there to play.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Does that mean we don't get to take our 'B' team??
Oh, sorry, I keep thinking it is a high school game since it is played at a high school field.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

It is a high school stadium, but what difference does the stadium itself make? The crowd will be twice what Duke drew against us last year. They're building a nice new stadium, so they have made a committment. I'd rather play them in front of 16,000 instead of 40,000.

As far as playing UConn on the road in general, that story has been beat to death, but we're not the only team "stepping down" on the road. Check out this list, from this year only....

Va. Tech @ Western Michigan
Minnesota @ La. Lafayette
Pitt @ UAB
Oklahoma @ Tulsa
Missouri @ Bowling Green
Iowa @ Miami, OH
Texas @ Tulane
Ohio St. @ Cincinnati

Some pretty big names, playing in some pretty small places. Scheduling is tough these days. We'll survive this trip, as long as we win.

Just keep in mind...UConn is better than Navy, and they're a LOT better than playing a AA school. Can you imaging the crap we'd be taking if we weren't even playing a 1-A school? Not to mention the BCS factor.

I agree about playing GSU. That would have been great after MTSU dropped us. We need to play GSU every now and then in our house. It'd be a great atmosphere and they'd bring some fans too.

Time to weigh in on the schedule.

First - I am also not pleased with a game so far away against a relatively new D1A team, but we need the game to fill 12 in the season and the extra game-time work won't hurt. I say let's cheer on the Jackets no matter where and who they play.

Second - on SEC fans bashing the UConn game:
As the good word says - To Hell with {fill in your problem school here}. A quick glance at SEC schedules will tell you that the pickin's are kind of slim for the non-conf patsies they schedule, too. I did a quick look at the pre-season Sporting News rankings of the 117 D1A teams to see what was up, and here is what I found. (I chose TSN because it was handy, but other mags rankings are similar.)

(TSN rankings in parentheses)

Tech plays UConn(111) and Vandy(94) in non-conf action.

Compare to:
UGa plays New Mexico St(93) and Northwestern State (not ranked - D1AA team)
UF plays UAB(101) and Ohio(98)
Auburn plays LA-Monroe(116) and Western Carolina (NR - D1AA)
LSU plays LA-Lafayette(105) and Citadel (NR-D1AA)
South Carolina plays New Mexico State(93) and Temple(83)
Tennessee plays Wyoming(96) and MTSU(81)
Alabama plays MTSU(81) and North Texas(102)
Arkansas plays South Florida(91) and LA-Lafayette(105)
Miss State plays Troy State(86) and Jacksonville State (ND-D1AA)
Ole Miss plays LA-Monroe(116) and Arkansas State(113)

I didn't list the UK and VU schedules, but I think you get the point. All of these high and mighty teams are playing teams near the bottom of D1A or below to D1AA. Also note that the D1AA teams they schedule aren't GSU, Montana, Furman, Delaware, etc. who rank near the top of the polls. I'm sure that some of the bottom programs will surprise the bigger boys - witness Troy State and MTSU last year against the SEC.

I guess if SEC fans are giving you a hard time, this could be something to help with your argument, but to be honest, I've never found arguing with SEC fans to be that much fun - the field of play just isn't level enough!

GO JACKETS (and to Hell with UConn)!!!!

We "will" be playing at Connecticut this weekend. There is nothing less than a catastrophic event that can change it. I prefer to use my energy toward issues where my arguments may have an impact.

This is beating a "dead orse".

rolleyes.gif

We are going to be on the Yankees TV network, covering a large area where we like to recruit. Everybody schedules creampuff games, but we are getting ours on TV in a great market.

Cory Collins, Dennis Davis, JP Foschi, I-Perfection Harris, Chris Morehouse, are all from up in that area, plus other past players like Charlie Rogers.

These SEC teams would consider playing a weak team like UConn but they would never consider playing @Uconn under any circumstances.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
We "will" be playing at Connecticut this weekend. There is nothing less than a catastrophic event that can change it. I prefer to use my energy toward issues where my arguments may have an impact.

This is beating a "dead orse".

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AMEN !! All this whining is pathetic...

Aiken.. thanks for the analysis... good info there

Originally posted by beeware:
Every SEC fan I know is giving me a hard time about TECH playing @Uconn.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How many SEC fans do you know Bwear? I figured you for one of those backroom EE guys working on ladder diagrams in the back office somewhere? You know where you didn't have to deal with real people?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Back