Uga doing uga things

GT98

Dodd-Like
The NCAA is corrupt. “College” football has become as illegitimate and soap opera scripted as professional wrestling.
The "has become" part could be replaced with "always has been" in many areas of college football.

:coolugh:

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
The NCAA is corrupt. “College” football has become as illegitimate and soap opera scripted as professional wrestling. The same teams end up in the college football playoff year after year after year, not because of good coaching or because of good, honest recruiting practices—- but because they are allowed to pay players and operate on a completely unfair playing level relative the remainder of colleges. Even the officiating in games has become increasingly bogus. It is designed to favor The Factories and avoid any possibility of an upset which could result in a college that can’t bring hundreds of thousands of fans, half of which have no affiliation with “their team” whatsoever to a bowl, and get millions more to tune in on television an opportunity in the CFB playoffs—- all in the name of $$$. I’m ready to turn college football off just like I don’t watch the NFL. The Braves make for fun entertainment.
When is the last time college football was fair and the big boys didnt cheat? You seem surprised by this and act as if this is a recent thing. What is so different about it now compared to say, the 60s and 70s when Bama and UGA paid players?

GoGATech

Big Dummy
UGa assistant Mike Cavan bought a house in Wrightsville so he could recruit Herschel on a daily basis.
I know folks local to the area that say Hershel came from a very low income household, yet was driving a brand new Trans Am his Senior year of high school.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
I know folks local to the area that say Hershel came from a very low income household, yet was driving a brand new Trans Am his Senior year of high school.
Yeah, his TransAm was well known.

John Sally drove a BMW on campus and was investigated. His brother bought it for him (was easily proved) and said John would easily pay him back one day.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When is the last time college football was fair and the big boys didnt cheat? You seem surprised by this and act as if this is a recent thing. What is so different about it now compared to say, the 60s and 70s when Bama and UGA paid players?
The talent discrepancies between the haves and have-nots is more now than its even been. That’s why you get the same 4-6 teams in the CFB playoffs for the past 10 years. Paul Johnson’s best football team wouldn’t have a chance against Clemson’s the past 4 years. It’s just ridiculous.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
I know someone who worked at another ACC institution and said a couple of the superstars would get nice cars to drive - when the students weren't around, like for spring break. Break ended, students came back, their usual rides went back into service.

You really want to know how players get paid, during the season?
Often, an unmarked, unsigned envelope with cash is slid under the door of their hotel room the night before a game.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Yeah, his TransAm was well known.

John Sally drove a BMW on campus and was investigated. His brother bought it for him (was easily proved) and said John would easily pay him back one day.
I thought he had a Peugeot. Didn't his brother have a or work at a dealership?

Best player with new car story comes, well, from PJ.
They had a defensive lineman who was always driving new cars. It wasn't coming from the staff. Wasn't coming from the boosters (to quote the old coach there, "we don't cheat. Because cheating takes money and we don't have any."). So the coaches didn't think much about it.
One night the kid gets pulled over - ran a stop sign or some such. So the cops ran the tag.
And ...
It was stolen.

Turns out the kid was going to dealerships, taking cars for test drives and making a copy of the key. He'd go back to the lot and drive the thing away.

PJ got that call every coach just loves - from the sheriff's office in the middle of the night.
Since the kid was crossing state lines to do this, he became a federal case.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Who was the Alabama player who had a single mom working drive thru but he had a luxury SUV with big rims on it?

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Scisson had a nice 3 series which was extravagant by car standards in 1990 but nobody didn't think his parents didn't buy it.

We had superstars then in basketball and nobody had a car of note. They rode stinger shuttle like everyone else.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
So the real thing that pisses me off about all this cheating is the NCAA turns its head to all the SEC/Ohio State/Oklahoma pay for players but goes after the little guys who break technicality rules, like $300 of clothes given to a player by an ex-teammate. However, a Bama recruit can tweet pictures of $100 bill stacks with the title "struggle over wit" and they wont even investigate. Hell, you have here a HS coach who is well known as a cheater and scammer who openly admits to Bama and UGA cheating but not even a whimper will come from the NCAA.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
So the real thing that pisses me off about all this cheating is the NCAA turns its head to all the SEC/Ohio State/Oklahoma pay for players but goes after the little guys who break technicality rules, like $300 of clothes given to a player by an ex-teammate. However, a Bama recruit can tweet pictures of $100 bill stacks with the title "struggle over wit" and they wont even investigate. Hell, you have here a HS coach who is well known as a cheater and scammer who openly admits to Bama and UGA cheating but not even a whimper will come from the NCAA.
It was proven in court and an LSU booster went to jail for embezzling $150,000 from a charity to the parent of a recruit.

What happened? LSU won a national championship 6 months later and not a peep from the NCAA.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
It was proven in court and an LSU booster went to jail for embezzling $150,000 from a charity to the parent of a recruit.
This is what I just will never get about the SEC fans and their value system. How can one value being an influential booster enough that you are willing to give and even steal thousands of dollars to recruits? I mean are they that insecure about themselves where they need to do this to feel important? I love GT and could even spare a thousand or two without much of a blink but damn if I'm giving it to some 4-star to come to GT, even if everyone else is doing it. I dont value GT football that much in my life just to vaporize money and I absolutely *love* GT football.

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
...I mean are they that insecure about themselves where they need to do this to feel important? ...
Yes.

The high point and biggest accomplishment of their miserable lives is being connected with a big time, winning D1 college football team.