Uga doing uga things

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
WOW this is a must listen. Fast forward and start around the 44:30 mark, and caution NSFW language so use headphones. This is the same organization that posted the tweet about it that blew up.

LOL....Said "Clemson is 'Kirby-Smarting' along around the east coast"

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So the real thing that pisses me off about all this cheating is the NCAA turns its head to all the SEC/Ohio State/Oklahoma pay for players but goes after the little guys who break technicality rules, like $300 of clothes given to a player by an ex-teammate. However, a Bama recruit can tweet pictures of $100 bill stacks with the title "struggle over wit" and they wont even investigate. Hell, you have here a HS coach who is well known as a cheater and scammer who openly admits to Bama and UGA cheating but not even a whimper will come from the NCAA.
I understand it. But that’s the truth. The only thing I can figure is The NCAA officials are being paid off.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
Ya'll remember that whole BS with North Carolina creating classes specifically to keep players eligible to play? If ever there was an open and shut case to give a school the death penalty, and basically nothing happened. I knew recruiting and lots of things were really sketch, but after that, I just quit caring. The whole thing is a hot mess. Just makes it satisfying when we do win, that most of the GT students are actually managing to be excellent at sports and academics at the same time, and will have something to show for it after their athletic career is over.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Ya'll remember that whole BS with North Carolina creating classes specifically to keep players eligible to play? If ever there was an open and shut case to give a school the death penalty, and basically nothing happened. I knew recruiting and lots of things were really sketch, but after that, I just quit caring. The whole thing is a hot mess. Just makes it satisfying when we do win, that most of the GT students are actually managing to be excellent at sports and academics at the same time, and will have something to show for it after their athletic career is over.
Not to defend the NCAA but...

The NCAA did try to come down on UNC. UNC's lawyers successfully argued that academics were not in the purview of the NCAA and that as long as students were academically eligible from an accredited college (even fraudulently) the NCAA has no jurisdiction. Basically, if you have a problem, take it up with their accrediting agency.

The accrediting agency did get involved, but by that time UNC has corrected the problems leading to the fake classes. Accrediting agencies just look at the current situation and don't penalize for past issues, so nothing happened there, either. And it wouldn't have mattered because if UNC lost their accreditation, the State of North Carolina was ready to accredit them via legislation, which would still make them eligible for federal student loans and NCAA athletics.

This is why you hire a good lawyer (which GT seems to never do, which is why we get hammered so often).

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like

The NCAA did try to come down on UNC. UNC's lawyers successfully argued that academics were not in the purview of the NCAA and that as long as students were academically eligible from an accredited college (even fraudulently) the NCAA has no jurisdiction. Basically, if you have a problem, take it up with their accrediting agency.

The accrediting agency did get involved, but by that time UNC has corrected the problems leading to the fake classes. Accrediting agencies just look at the current situation and don't penalize for past issues, so nothing happened there, either. And it wouldn't have mattered because if UNC lost their accreditation, the State of North Carolina was ready to accredit them via legislation, which would still make them eligible for federal student loans and NCAA athletics.

This is why you hire a good lawyer (which GT seems to never do, which is why we get hammered so often).
If academics are not the purview of the NCAA, how can they require progress towards a degree and set APR standards?

Last edited:

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Didn't UNC get away with it because the classes were listed and any student could take them?

WreckRod

Dodd-Like

Yes, and reading you explain this again makes me just as angry as when this all went down.

None of the lawyer BS really matters, the NCAA was just hoping that UNC would say something that sounded good enough to work with so they didn’t have to do anything.

NCAA doesn’t have to be an accrediting institution, that’s the dumbest argument ever. They ARE in charge of athletics and set things like APR and progress toward degree requirements. To say that they can’t punish UNC for, and I almost shake as I say this, making fake classes for the express purpose of keeping athletes academically eligible (as in eligible according to the NCAA’s standard) is completely asinine. If they can’t punish UNC in this case then every school should just ignore anything the NCAA has to say about academics at all.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Yes, and reading you explain this again makes me just as angry as when this all went down.

None of the lawyer BS really matters, the NCAA was just hoping that UNC would say something that sounded good enough to work with so they didn’t have to do anything.

NCAA doesn’t have to be an accrediting institution, that’s the dumbest argument ever. They ARE in charge of athletics and set things like APR and progress toward degree requirements. To say that they can’t punish UNC for, and I almost shake as I say this, making fake classes for the express purpose of keeping athletes academically eligible (as in eligible according to the NCAA’s standard) is completely asinine. If they can’t punish UNC in this case then every school should just ignore anything the NCAA has to say about academics at all.
But the lawyers argument is that the NCAA doesn’t judge what is and what isn’t a qualified education. The NCAA can’t step in and say that Stanford’s poetry major is a joke compared to the rest of the school and athletes can’t major in that. They don’t rule that Aerospace Engineering at GT is more difficult than Communications at uga and therefore there is a different GPA requirement for eligibility. Their sole determining factor for academic is if the school is accredited or not.

And the NCAA wanted to hammer UNC. That was apparent from their letter. They were virtually screaming at the UNC argument.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
But the lawyers argument is that the NCAA doesn’t judge what is and what isn’t a qualified education. The NCAA can’t step in and say that Stanford’s poetry major is a joke compared to the rest of the school and athletes can’t major in that. They don’t rule that Aerospace Engineering at GT is more difficult than Communications at uga and therefore there is a different GPA requirement for eligibility. Their sole determining factor for academic is if the school is accredited or not.

And the NCAA wanted to hammer UNC. That was apparent from their letter. They were virtually screaming at the UNC argument.
None of this is news to me. But the fact remains that there was incontrovertible evidence that the class was fake. The NCAAs failure to giggle at UNC lawyers as they explained what the death penalty entails means that they are utterly toothless and pointless. I understand the argument the lawyers made.

It was like a judge being told that he couldn’t convict someone for arson because the judge isn’t a firefighter. And then the firefighters saying they couldn’t say there was a fire because the house had already burnt down by the time they got there. Even though there’s video evidence of the “suspect” throwing gas on the house and setting a match to it.

Which goes back to my original point, that when all this went down I threw my hands up and quit thinking that any of it matters or means anything. I'm still a GT fan, I watch football and basketball and baseball, but college athletics as a whole are a farce, and we don't cheat anywhere close to enough to be relevant except very occasionally. IIWII

Last edited:

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Meanwhile, lest we forget, the Dwags had a course where students had to know how many points you got for hitting a three-point shot.

It was on the test.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like

What did the NCAA think they were doing then with the Jan Kemp atrocity at ugag?