UGA's dirty lil secret

I did quite a bit of civil design for UGA when I worked locally. For one of the projects, we supported the architects that did the north stands expansion & plaza area about 10 years ago. Site problems are fairly well known. Similar to the Flats, they have a major sewer trunkline running under the place... not only that, but Tanyard Creek flows under it. There were fairly well known flooding issues due to too much uncontrolled runoff onto E. Campus Road as well. Yeah, it's a mess!

Every once in awhile, I'd hear a weird story. Like they had push back when wanting to inspect the Tanyard Creek box culverts, because some biologist was worried it would upset the mating of some bats living in it.

Adding seats without adding to the base amenities. Driving ticket revenues up without other expenditures

not so secret. they are just used to living in a rotten place. most of Athens downtown smells of vomit and rotting beer on any given Saturday and Sunday anyways. just par for the course

not so secret. they are just used to living in a rotten place. most of Athens downtown smells of vomit and rotting beer on any given Saturday and Sunday anyways. just par for the course

But it's the "classic city".

I don't see how anyone sees Athens as anything other than a dump college town. It is a ööööhole.

I don't know that I'd throw too many stones. While I love BDS, it is nearly as outdated as much of as Sanford is (particularly the west side where I sit - those are the same troughs I peed in as a kid 30 years ago). We do have a lot better signage than we used to though, and the food is significantly a step up.

Troughs are very efficient, and every time there is a line for urinals in the east stand or any pro-stadium, I wonder why more people don't have them.

Also, the food options at BDS are pretty good. I went to games at Colorado State and University of Colorado this season. BDS blows them out of the water, and while it isn't as good as some pro-stadiums, I think we do well for a college game.

Troughs are very efficient, and every time there is a line for urinals in the east stand or any pro-stadium, I wonder why more people don't have them.

Also, the food options at BDS are pretty good. I went to games at Colorado State and University of Colorado this season. BDS blows them out of the water, and while it isn't as good as some pro-stadiums, I think we do well for a college game.

The upper north has large bathrooms and never has a line. I wouldn't go back to the east after being in the UN almost since the year they opened it. I think I went up there in the second year.

To compare UGAg's stadium to a pro stadium like the article did is just dumb. A pro club would have imploded Sanford Stadium in the early 90's or sooner. It is no where near pro stadium quality. If a pro team played there, the players would revolt because of how ööööty the place is.

It is the same folks that like to say that several SEC teams could compete in the NFL. Hell, the worst NFL team would destroy the best SEC team.

To compare UGAg's stadium to a pro stadium like the article did is just dumb. A pro club would have imploded Sanford Stadium in the early 90's or sooner. It is no where near pro stadium quality. If a pro team played there, the players would revolt because of how ööööty the place is.
Hmmm... AFCS was a dump.

Turner Field had drainage problems. I went to consult on some club suites at field/dugout level. There was a dirt line at about 3.5' above the dugouts from where the flood waters had risen.

I suppose the pro-level locker rooms are nice for the home team. But I don't think as a whole, they're all that great. Particularly when it comes to "historic" venues. As far as NFL goes, I can't imagine how ööööty Soldier Field, Lambeau, or Candlestick must be.

Hmmm... AFCS was a dump.

Turner Field had drainage problems. I went to consult on some club suites at field/dugout level. There was a dirt line at about 3.5' above the dugouts from where the flood waters had risen.

I suppose the pro-level locker rooms are nice for the home team. But I don't think as a whole, they're all that great. Particularly when it comes to "historic" venues. As far as NFL goes, I can't imagine how ööööty Soldier Field, Lambeau, or Candlestick must be.

Pretty sure Soldier Field has been renovated, no?

Hmmm... AFCS was a dump.

Soldier Fields guts were torn down and rebuilt a decade ago or so. Only the outside facade remains. insides are modern. Candlestick is gone.

Back