Uniforms vs Pitt

Oh, I know. Blue helmets are coming. Surprised not to see it against UGAg this year. Maybe next home game in two years. I picked chicken wire for dramatic effect . . . even though I personally actually liked the chicken wire . . . I really don't understand why they can't just wear something like this all the time.

Tech Helmet.jpg

Why do you care SO much about what the team wears? Why does anyone care SO much. This is an argument I can never understand.

Why do you care SO much about what the team wears? Why does anyone care SO much. This is an argument I can never understand.

B/c college football is about tribalism. a sense of belonging.
it's not for gambling, tho some do.
it's not for getting piss fall down drunk, tho some do.

Simply, our tribe chose to put on Gold and White first.
Those are our identifiers.

Navy blue looks like someone or something else- Notre Dame, Berkeley, West Virginia, a 1000 high schools.

It's not us.

Based on what the rest of the athletics teams were wearing on Saturday, we must have been trying to gain some benefit by trolling Pitt by looking like Penn State (Navy and white), or like Pitt's old colors (navy and gold). The cheerleaders and dance teams all had on majority navy and white. Very odd, imo.

Based on what the rest of the athletics teams were wearing on Saturday, we must have been trying to gain some benefit by trolling Pitt by looking like Penn State (Navy and white), or like Pitt's old colors (navy and gold). The cheerleaders and dance teams all had on majority navy and white. Very odd, imo.

Very odd and very new and portends a continued muddy message. The only team on the field wearing gold was the flag team at halftime. Adidas and Stansbury are driving blue on everything.

On the other hand it looks like we're saving money by keeping the field the same, which ironically looks great in all white and gold.

Hell, why bother having team colors at all? Just roll out with whatever colors you feel like in any given week. Orange and Black for Halloween. Green and Red for December bowl games.

Hell, same for team name and mascots. We can be the Yellow Jackets one week, and the Tigers the next (the SEC has three - why can't the ACC have two?). Replace Buzz with Tech the Tiger that week. Maybe the Vampires for Halloween, and the Turkeys for Thanksgiving.

One week it's a 1930 Model A. Next week a 1963 Split-Window Stingray Corvette.

We good?

... The only team on the field wearing gold was the flag team at halftime. Adidas and Stansbury are driving blue on everything. ...

If you look at what our "fanbase" wears to games, it's hard to blame them. Hardly anybody actually wears gold. That's likely partially due to the lack of available quality gold stuff (and who knows which shade), but also it's just our fan base. Hell, I see tons of folks wearing black crap with GTs on it. We can't even get the majority of our fans to buy in to white-outs - the easiest of all the "-outs."

Hell, why bother having team colors at all? Just roll out with whatever colors you feel like in any given week. Orange and Black for Halloween. Green and Red for December bowl games.

Hell, same for team name and mascots. We can be the Yellow Jackets one week, and the Tigers the next (the SEC has three - why can't the ACC have two?). Replace Buzz with Tech the Tiger that week. Maybe the Vampires for Halloween, and the Turkeys for Thanksgiving.

We good?
We were the Nittany Jackets last week.

If you look at what our "fanbase" wears to games, it's hard to blame them. Hardly anybody actually wears gold. That's likely partially due to the lack of available quality gold stuff (and who knows which shade), but also it's just our fan base. Hell, I see tons of folks wearing black crap with GTs on it. We can't even get the majority of our fans to buy in to white-outs - the easiest of all the "-outs."

There's no way to discuss rationally with someone who says "hardly anybody", or that "the majority" don't buy into whiteouts. Obviously there are far too many people who don't, and the school/AA does nothing to promote wearing a single color. Some people claim they don't care, but go apoplectic on people who actually do. It's comical projection. It's a disagreement on branding and marketing, and when one side is winning, the other side gets branded as bitching. iiwii

There's no way to discuss rationally with someone who says "hardly anybody", or that "the majority" don't buy into whiteouts. Obviously there are far too many people who don't, and the school/AA does nothing to promote wearing a single color. Some people claim they don't care, but go apoplectic on people who actually do. It's comical projection. It's a disagreement on branding and marketing, and when one side is winning, the other side gets branded as bitching. iiwii

"Hardly anybody" and "Majority" were obvious hyperbole. And I don't disagree with the sentiment that we forever have a branding problem with our colors, or even that we should stick to white and gold to help with branding if for no other reason. However, for better or worse, I think a lot of Tech alums, and even some of our sidewalk fans, just aren't the type of people who give a damn about what color polo they wear to a game. Personally, I cannot bring myself to wear blue to a game and will always where white or gold unless we every go crazy and do a blue-out. Black is completely off of the table.

However, going back to the jerseys, I don't think mixing in blue jerseys here and there (I'd prefer once per season, but max twice) really does any additional harm. As you elude to, it's more about the school/AA not doing enough imo. I thought Adidas would help, and maybe to some extent it has, but still a lot of major issues with our branding and apparel.

I did think it was funny when they announced the “Gold Rush” dance team and they came out in blue.

(I also thought it was funny that they misspelled “Georiga” on the scoreboard when talking about the cheerleaders winning a championship.)

6D38ED2F-F51F-438E-83F3-6D09BDE4411A.jpeg

We good?

Well, it seems to work for Oregon.

Back