USA TODAY: First-half grades for first-year coaches in college football

Discussion in 'Football' started by gtchief, Oct 17, 2019.

1. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Man don't remind me of those guys. I still think we would've beaten FSU that year with Smelter. And who was the A-back that got hurt early in the game and didnt return? Zenon? That was also the same year Snoddy broke his own leg vs Clemson. Ugghhh.

2. GTStoner

GTStoner Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Virginia
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets
    That's fine then you can't make the argument about CGC is handicapped this year b/c he's working with CPJ recruits.

The facts are very simple; we haven't been this bad in about 25 years. It is highly likely we will go 1-11 (I'd love to be wrong). We've gone through 4 coaches since then and we've never had this bad of a year afterwards. If you want to blame this year on CPJ-that's fine, but next year is definitely on CGC. The schtick of blaming poor results on the field to the previous coach gets real old-real fast.

Say CGC is an awesome coach (that's an unproven if), sometimes awesome performers are put in bad situations-this happens all the time in business. And awesome performers learn one of several lessons when that happens. Either you weren't all that to begin with, you prove your worth and shine like a star, or you learn to never get in that situation again-i.e. your good but being great also means not putting yourself in a bad situation!

Next year we find out if CGC is a good coach or simply a great snake-oils salesman who could sell ice to an Eskimo.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 2
  3. GTRules

GTRules Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Orlando
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    What you said in this post is completely idiotic. Unless he is convicted of raping a coed, Collins will be here 6 years minimum. That’s nothing you getting mad will change.

4. GTRules

GTRules Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Orlando
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I remember when Dabo first took the Clempson job I felt good every time we played them, because I knew with him on the sidelines we had a good chance. I thought he was just a salesman.

Maybe having a salesman for a head coach is a pretty good idea.