USA Today says referee hit by bottle @GT

Belly is right, those two calls against Georgia were horrible. No one can explain that call - made by SEC officials on the phantom interference, as someone who simply made a quick misjudgement.

My point about the taunting, again, not to condone it, is this. We all, or most of us, do not want drinking or obnoxious fans around us. The realism of the situation, is that it still takes place. I don't sit in the student section, but I'm not naive enough to think there aren't more than few kids there "drinking their whiskey clear". That being the case, when representatives from the other school, supposedly adhering to a sportsmanship code, are in front of the section waving for the crowd to "come on" with taunting gestures, well, after the little gold pom-pom is thrown it is only natural to assume some drunk is going to throw his empty bourbon bottle. I say eject them, arrest them, and prohibit them from future entry.

This is exactly why I posted about Tech stomping on Georgia's "G", if that is indeed what they were doing (Furman Bisher seems to think so). Let's beat teams on the scoreboard and leave the trash talking to others.

Since when did officiating become like a Supreme court position - appointed for life? I'd like to see some guys fired every once in awhile. A few minor infractions, you work through and keep on. But you blow it bad enough your back on Friday nights somewhere. The Big Ten canned the crew that did Purdue-Wake this year. The SEC did not fire the crew that stole the Georgia game from us five years ago. I will repeat, the idiot who made that pass interference call had no business being on the field.

FatherWasp officials are fired every year at every level. The high school association I head up is lucky. This year we only had to fire one. Usually it is more.

I will never argue that officials don’t miss calls. In a football game there will be close to a thousand plus calls or no calls. If one call is missed that is the one that is remember not the other thousand. Do you do that well in your chosen career?

As for famous missed calls in GT history go back to 1990. Remember the famous Colorado 5th down that allowed them to go undefeated in the regular season. That is an inexcusable error. That crew was fired. Same season Orange Bowl Colorado vs Notre Dame. A clipping call with seconds to go that calls back the winning Notre Dame touchdown. I watched that call over and over. It could have gone either way based on the angle of the TV camera. From the angle I saw it I would not have called it because it was questionable at best.

Just a few years ago the famous Ugag fumble at the goal line. After watching replay after replay I realized that the fumble/no fumble wasn’t the missed call. There was an inadvertent whistle before the ball came out. If properly administered this would have allowed Ugag to regain possession and probably win the game. A huge blown call but I haven’t seen anyone at GT complain about it. My point is officials are like you – human and will make mistakes.

Famous Quote – Officiating is the only profession where you must be perfect to start with and then improve.

OK, looks like it's time for a recap!

1. Officiating is awful!!

A. It cuts both ways, officials are blind buffoons
B. Always goes against Tech, officials are Tech saboteurs
C. It’s understandable if the fans wish them harm and try to do so
D. Good grief, it’s a game and good people shouldn’t throw things or incite others to do so

2. FSU Cheerleaders have been seen cheering for their team right in our faces!!!

A. Always against Tech, FSU Cheerleaders are Tech saboteurs
B. It’s understandable if the fans wish them harm and try to do so
C. Good grief, it’s a game and good people shouldn’t throw things or incite others to do so.

Fellows, this post makes me long for yesterday (got be the makings of a song here), where athlete’s and their fans, played/cheered their hearts out; never did or said anything to dishonor themselves or their school. Heck, I hear Georgia and Georgia Tech used to sit down and have dinner together after the big game (just a rumor). Might have been food fight…

If the officials and opposing cheerleaders are really out to get us, shame on us! We aren’t matching the payola of our opponents. Call me a BOOer and a bottle tosser but don’t call me cheap.

I like to think, that the doggish behavior is far below Tech fans, bet even Father WASP didn’t throw anything (except a BOO or two).

wink.gif

Thanks for the humor 71bee. I am curious. Do some Tech fans really believe that the opposing cheerleaders sabotage us and have an effect on the outcome of the game? If this is so our program is beyond repair.

I'm pretty sure I saw a UGA cheerleader, the blond, about 5'2" tackle AJ after he was clearly out-of-bounds.

No whistle...

Cheer Leaders have been tackling football players since the inception of the game!

laugh.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Cheer Leaders have been tackling football players since the inception of the game!

laugh.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't laugh at your own jokes, Ahso, its not cool...

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Tackling? Somehow I'd think another word would typically come to mind...

I'm not saying anything more.

oldfoggy, do StingTalk posters get to be honorary groomsmen when the big day comes?

drinking.gif
blue.gif
laugh.gif

Back