Vanderbilt's SEC connection shaky? (Link)

gnats67

Dodd-Like
Vanderbilt\'s SEC connection shaky? (Link)

There's been a lot of hooha about Vanderbilt's possibly exiting (getting the boot) the SEC and opening up a slot for us or FSU or VT, etc.

Here's a thought provoking look from a local rag at Vandy's present situation.

-West End's dead end-

Re: Vanderbilt\'s SEC connection shaky? (Link)

Ive seen this plenty of times on SEC teams board. Such schools as UF, Bama, USC, UK etc have all wished GT would be switched out with Vandy. Same type of school but better athletics.

Do you think if Vandy got the boot, GT would have a good chance at getting back in the SEC?

Not if UGAly has a say so in it. I read the Bama boards frequently and they seem mostly positive to the idea. Here's just a sample from their board.
http://www.tidefans.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/036351.html

I think down the road in Athens has a much differing opinion of the subject and would exercise any veto they might have.

To the contrary JJ, UGA would probably be TECH's sponsor to get back into the SEC. UGA has always wanted TECH back in. If nothing else, it frees up their schedule for intersectional games. Since UGA and UF play a neutral site game and their main rivals are ACC schools, they each would like to see FSU and TECH join the SEC. UGA had nothing to do with TECH being turned down to reenter the SEC. Some other SEC schools, i.e. LSU, was getting even with TECH for what they thought was an uppity attitude about having to play at western SEC schools.

Originally posted by GTFish:
Do you think if Vandy got the boot, GT would have a good chance at getting back in the SEC?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">IF a vacancy came open in this day and age TECH would have a much, much greater chance than the last time around 20 years ago but might not be that interested. The ACC's been good for Tech.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTFish:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">IF a vacancy came open in this day and age TECH would have a much, much greater chance than the last time around 20 years ago but might not be that interested. The ACC's been good for Tech.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Trade NC State, NC, Duke, Wake and Maryland for Florida, UGA, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee?
I think the interest would be overwhelming. Why do you think we have such trouble filing BDS? Wake and Duke don't exactly pique my interest the way the Gators or Volunteers would.

That might be right but I think there's a popular sentiment that the ACC's importance to TECH overall outweighs SEC football alone. I don't see TECH "poised" to jump but the invite would probably be more likely than 25 years ago.

Originally posted by JJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by gnats 67:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTFish:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">IF a vacancy came open in this day and age TECH would have a much, much greater chance than the last time around 20 years ago but might not be that interested. The ACC's been good for Tech.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Trade NC State, NC, Duke, Wake and Maryland for Florida, UGA, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee?
I think the interest would be overwhelming. Why do you think we have such trouble filing BDS? Wake and Duke don't exactly pique my interest the way the Gators or Volunteers would.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No question about it, if Tech were back in the SEC we would sell more home game tickets. The Atlanta market would be a key draw for SEC fans not only in Atlanta but from throughout the South.

You wouldn't see as much white and gold in the stands but the seats would be filled.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by JJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by gnats 67:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No question about it, if Tech were back in the SEC we would sell more home game tickets. The Atlanta market would be a key draw for SEC fans not only in Atlanta but from throughout the South.

You wouldn't see as much white and gold in the stands but the seats would be filled.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We'd get back to filling it with the white and gold after a few years. It sure would be nice getting to make a trip to see Tech play every few years in Bryant-Denny or Jordan-Hare, or even Neyland.

Sorry swGAboy, but it was ugag who kept us from having any readmission shot back in the 70's. At meetings they kept saying if GT was readmitted they would quit, which of course they would not have. The bigger point is, of course they should sponser us to get back in considering their record against us since 64. Why would they not want all those W's to count as a conference game? (answer - STUPIDITY)

I think that if the ACC expansion falls apart this would be excellent. How about this, SEC dump Vandy and bring in Miami, FSU and GT. Top conference in the country then, guaranteed.

The Dawgs have a lot to lose if Tech comes back in the conference. It would boost our instate recruiting overnight...

No offense to Miami fans, but that is just too far for me (the more I think about it). My parents used to live in Miami. It takes about 13 or so hours to get there from the north side of Atlanta. The toll road in is awful. Most people don't realize that we on the north metro corridor are actually closer to Detroit than Miami. Plus, there is a time of the year when you go outside, the air hits you and you think "football weather!". It ain't ever like that in Miami.

I know this is all hypothetical and will probably never happen, but if I had my druthers, I'd want Clempson with us. That way we are really the center of the nest.
Sc, Clem, Tn, UGAg, Aub, Ala, Fla. Fairly easy drive to any of these.

I think if you are talking SEC. Vandy and Arkansas make logical boots. Maybe I'm just old school, but I believe Arkansas needs to be playing Ok, Ok St., TX, A&M, Neb., Baylor etc...

We know that UGAg would never let it happen and I don't think Gubernatorial help would be forthcoming. I think it is quite clear who our governor is a fan of. (Maybe I should have said Goobernatorial.)

Just for a little devil's advocate thinking - one of the alternatives to expansion was always the idea of keeping the ACC for its $$$s and BB and then scheduling the teams in the SEC we really want to play as our OOC games. Rotate AU, Tenn, UF and maybe Alabama but avoid the "riff raff".

This would also have had the advantage of cherry picking the SEC instead of playing a full SEC schedule. While everyone waxes eloquently about the good old days of playing in the SEC, I don't think Bobby Dodd would be any more excited about playing Ark or MSU than they are about Wake. Why come to think of it Vandy was just an average game with no real "SEC excitement".

But alas, with the coming ACC expansion (which I do think is going to happen) we have chosen to fill our schedule with a Miami team that doesn't travel worth a damn - plus BU and SU on occasion. And when you look at the ACC south with Miami, FSU and Clemson plus probably NCSU we will have to restrict our resurecting old SEC rivalries to keep from having to play our fourth string by the end of the year.

But hey, the TV $$$s will be rolling in.

And oh by the way - just to keep the devil going - if we were going back to the SEC it would have happened when we went to the ACC. We don't really bring a media market as Atlanta already has more SEC alumni than GT alumni and from their perspective we are tied for third to get back in at best - behind FSU and Miami and hopefully tied or ahead of Clemson or VT but maybe not. And that doesn't even look out west to see if there is anything in that direction.

From what I've read on the Bama boards (I know I'm probably repeating this), the majority seem to prefer Tech over FSU, Clemson, and Miami. VTech is never mentioned as an option. Perhaps 'Bama fans think a little more of Georgia Tech than our own fans?
Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd are certainly coaches that 'Bama and Auburn fans respected in their day. It's a shame for our own fans to put FSU, Miami, and especially VT in the same breadth with GT.

Actually, I prefer to play many teams more than Miami. Miami is so far down on the tip of Florida, I really don't see how any conference is thrilled to have them.

As someone else pointed out, we can travel North and play more teams closer than we can travelling to Miami. The trips through the mountains are much more appealing than the hot stretch of road between Atlanta and Miami.

The Carolina teams are much further removed from Miami. I am not even sure SEC teams would like the drive to Miami. Miami is really in a bad situation as far as travel is concerned. No wonder they do not have a fan base that travels.

If not for the past glories of Maimi Beach and its aura, Miami really has nothing going for it other than a good team. If it ever falls off the pedestal of a top ten team, I doubt Miami will attract many fans.

drinking.gif

It's always fun to speculate about the "what if's." In a way, I'd like to see TECH back in the SEC, but I really hope that ACC expansion goes through. If not, it could set off a chain reaction that could be mind boggling.

F$U has really had their way with the ACC since they came into the conference. They're on a downslide now but they have the ability to win big more consistently than most ACC schools. If Clumpson ever gets their coaching situation settled, they may come back. But I think having Miami in the conference assures a good race each year.

If you think about it, winning an ACC title would mean so much more beating such a strong field. I hope to see TECH do it very soon. GO JACKETS!
drinking.gif

Back