Wazzu QB Commits Suicide

I see this is being met with the typical Stingtalk asshole responses.

Depression makes people act irrationally. When I was in high school, my girlfriend's older brother killed himself. He was an honors student from the top school in Cobb County. Won't tell you which one, but that should be obvious. He had scholarship offers to several top schools. He ended up spending the year after high school tying to get help and working a job, no college. It was sad. He tried getting better, but in a moment of sadness and desperation he chose to take his life. He was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Friendly. Outgoing. Good looking. Treated me like I was no different than one of his friends

You can't just tell a suicidal/depressed person "Hey dude, don't be depressed" and then step back and say "done, fixed".

I see this is being met with the typical Stingtalk asshole responses.

Depression makes people act irrationally. When I was in high school, my girlfriend's older brother killed himself. He was an honors student from the top school in Cobb County. Won't tell you which one, but that should be obvious. He had scholarship offers to several top schools. He ended up spending the year after high school tying to get help and working a job, no college. It was sad. He tried getting better, but in a moment of sadness and desperation he chose to take his life. He was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Friendly. Outgoing. Good looking. Treated me like I was no different than one of his friends

You can't just tell a suicidal/depressed person "Hey dude, don't be depressed" and then step back and say "done, fixed".

Agreed. And as for the idea that suicide is always the selfish, jerk move, a person who is that depressed may 100% legitimately think/feel in their mind that everyone will be happier/better off without them. They aren't thinking like a normal person would and they can't necessarily control those thoughts.

Some of the toughest ministry I have done has involved caring for families of those who have taken their own lives. The effect of suicide on loved ones is enormous. My goal is to bring them whatever comfort and help I can. Just as we lose members of the church or members of the community suddenly to massive heart attacks, strokes or accidents and some slowly to cancers and other progressive diseases, we sometimes lose persons to sudden and unexpected suicide and at other times to suicide at the end of a long and difficult battle with depression or some other disorder. However it happens, most need to know their loved one died because of emotional, mental, psychological or spiritual illness just as surely as others die of physical causes. It is normal to feel anger at those who take their own lives and it needs to be expressed. But, even greater is the need to grieve the sad loss of a loved one. Yesterday, I had a first appointment post-funeral to talk with a fifteen year old whose Mom took her life Christmas Day. He found her. He has that anger over her action, but he has a greater need to grieve and seek to somehow understand the death of a mother he loved. What a long journey he faces. It seems if we want to help those left behind we need to try and demythologize suicide as much as we can and walk with them in much the same way we come alongside all others whose loved ones die.

Last edited:
Horrible.

The number of young people committing suicide is beyond comprehension to me.
Its estimated that 80% of the American population goes through severe depression at some point. Sad part is no one gets help because of social stigma. Its also why when Obama called obesity an epidemic I laughed. I'm still laughing. If obesity is an epidemic then mental health disorders are like the end of times right now. And no one is getting treated and we don't even really know why they're happening or what drugs actually work for most of them.

I'm a psychiatrist. I want to correct a few misconceptions. Suicide happens a lot of time in illnesses other than depression and sometimes without any clear mental illness at all. Suicide is not selfish. Many suicide-related actions or thoughts I deal with are without unequivocal intent to die. Others are very different. People who survive what was clearly not meant to leave possibility of survival do so with distorted belief that they are saving those they love from the burden of their existence. Often significant psychosis is involved. Societal attitudes that suicide is selfish leaves many people fearful that seeking help will provide them rejection instead. That is no good at all.

Back