We are kidding ourselves in regards to recruiting

Wrecked

Varsity Lurker
While I don't put much stock in the rating of recruiting classes (is no. 6 really better than no. 16), any rating in the Top 20 is a great class. While we are enjoying a nice recruiting season, we are kidding ourselves if Gailey is moving to accomplishing his stated goals, win the ACC and beat UGA. UGA is about to sign its second top 10 class in a row. Compare that to what we signed last year and our commits this year and who we are in on, and IMO, it doesn't look good. UGA has shown they are more talented than we are, and better coached. Is anything we are doing recruiting wise going to make up that gap?

As far as the conference goes, we are lagging behind Maryland and UVA, while waiting on FSU to announce their blue chip signees. In the past, we have made up the talent gap through hard work and coaching. I just don't have the feeling that Tech has the staff in place to do that now. I really would like to be proven wrong. Alot of posters are excited about our verbals. Somebody tell me what I am missing.

Well i think that Gaily still needs to learn some things about the team and the players and maybe we will win more games.I just hope we recruit well and get ready for the bowl game against Fresno.

No, we can not make up the difference in recruiting this year. Our team will have to coached up a whole lot more than Georgia's, and I don't think that is going to happen. Of course there is the factor of ol lady luck, but the dawgs got a sack full of that this year. Having said that I do believe we are having a very special recruiting year, but even at that we have got to finish strong or Ga. could even move even further away from us. Right now the spread is wider between the 2 than it was after our game in Athens. They do loose a lot on ol. but there is still Giles kid who could become better than their seniors. We have a long long way to go to catch up.

Personally, I don't think we will ever get large numbers of "blue-chip" talent at Tech. Instead we will need to rely on getting a few and then coaching up the rest of our diamonds in the rough. Tech has too many obstacles to consistently land classes like the FSUs of the world.

Can Gailey do that? Who knows. We will get a chance to really see that coming up this year.

Gailey has done a good job of getting some quality players so far and I think he has done a great job with his first true recruiting period.

Also, getting a ton of great players never has and never will guarantee you a great team. In the end it is the coaching that makes great teams. Take a look at the Goff & Donnan lead teams or perhaps even FSU the past two years.

I think you are VERY wrong. Ugag has ALWAYS out recruited us. In fact they had a top 5 class a few years ago. Donnan and Goff both were great recruiters as well as ugag recruiting itself.

We had quality wins over NCST and UVA that you just want to discount.

In fact we were one player (quality qb (hamilton or Godsey) away from being 10 and 2.

We had major injuries on the line (Dorsey was out for the FSU game). That could have been the difference.

The MD and Ugag losses are troublesome, but I honestly feel we are in pretty good shape. As long as recruitings continues to go well we will be ok.

As far as winning the ACC we may do it next year. There is NO team in the ACC that is truly unbeatable.

Beating Ugag? Ask Auburn? It would have been 4 years straight had Ugag not completed that 4th and 15 hail mary. South Carolina had them beat but for Pollocks heroics. Kentucky was leading at halftime. A VERY mediocre UF team beat them.

With ALL the parity in college football right now I think your post is ridiculous.

As for the OL, we will likely start 5 Jrs. this season. Considering how well they did this year as Soph's, they will likely be a team strength for next 2 years. Bottom line is we are ok IF we recruit 5-7 top notch OL's next year. For depth we will have the likes of Tidwell-Neal, Hartley, Tarquino, Honeycutt,& McHargue.

Actually, this upcoming class needs a big back, another corner, and LB's(especially a MLB). WR's will be a MUST too next year. THWG

The OLine will start 2 Srs, Riley & Hartley, & 3 Jrs in Dorsey, Robinson & Wallace. The main backups will be Jrs Tidwell-Neal & Phillips along with So Honeycutt.
GT really needs OL NOW to give them a rs yr before they are really called on.

You guys(most of you anyway
smile.gif
) need to read this article. Puts some perspective into recruiting.

Click on the story titled In college recruiting, don't judge the book by the cover.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
The OLine will start 2 Srs, Riley & Hartley, & 3 Jrs in Dorsey, Robinson & Wallace. The main backups will be Jrs Tidwell-Neal & Phillips along with So Honeycutt.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Riley is a Jr I believe.

Originally posted by tommie:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GT Ace:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Riley is a Jr I believe.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're correct Tommie that Reilly is a Jr. Believe GTAce was taking a gander at what our line will look like next fall. There might be some interesting battles in spring and fall.

ACE, your right about Reilly, but not likely that Hartley beats out Phillips. Wallace to guard and Phillips at tackle giving us 4 Jrs. Signing OL's next year still allows for R-S. THWG

Reilly has got to learn how to snap the ball!! Other than that I believe ol will very good.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
Any chance of Reilly going back to guard and moving Tidwell-Neal up?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess anything could happen. Actually that had gone through my mind. There will be some interesting battles. To me that's a good thing. Should make us a better team.

Good article on the perspective of recruiting. Although recruiting is important, it is not nearly as important as the ability of the coach to get the most out of each talent and be able to coach the talent up.

wink.gif

Actually, we've recruited well & should be able to stay in the top half of the ACC. Our shortfall last yr & this yr so far has been OL.
The danger is that Virginia & Maryland have really picked up their recruiting with UVa getting the type players to contend with FSU. NC St has also picked up better players & are now like us with getting solid, but not outstanding recruits. If Va, Md & St had not picked up so much, then it would still be GT pushing FSU.
I see the ACC as a 5 team race for the next 3-4 yrs & any one of the 5 could win it.
PS: Ga's classes come & go based on injuries, early leavings for NFL, attrition & academics. Heck, they take 25, or more, Fr almost every single yr & have for the past 15 yrs. They lose a lot down the road.

this recruiting class would be hard pressed to be top 45, we are kidding ourselves, barring richt leaving, probation or uga losing the likes of van gorder we are in for a major drought against uga. i would like to think we could beat them 50 percent of the time but, i dont think we will ever reach that plateau with chan gailey, i admit i was wrong, when gailey was hired i felt like it was a good hire, i dont feel that way today.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Although recruiting is important, it is not nearly as important as the ability of the coach to get the most out of each talent and be able to coach the talent up.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
A rare occurrence.....I agree with you.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Unfortunately, I have not seen the slightest jot or tittle of evidence, whatsoever, that our current coach possesses even a hint of the ability that you mention.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
this recruiting class would be hard pressed to be top 45
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Out of curiosity, what are you basing that on? Also, let us see what the final tally is in Feb. The handful of verbals from players in the month of December were players heavily recruited by other Top 25 schools. The class is by no means finished, but thus far, the results have been pretty good.

Back