We are kidding ourselves in regards to recruiting

GT98, you're right for instance Moore was not very well known in this area, but Emfinger gave him a 4 star! I know I don't put much credence into this type of assessment, but Emfinger is more expertise in the Texas area. FWIW

I would have to say that it gets harder and harder for me to read the posts on this site and on the hive. I just can't believe the shortsidedness of so many Tech "fans" who always are so negative about the coaches abilities. First of all, Gailey is coaching the talent that O'Leary left behind from his stay. While I love our team and will support it to the end, they also underachieved last year during our "run at the BCS". Seems all the naysayers have forgotten that. Secondly, Gailey will instill character back into our program that O'Leary had managed to let slip away. I doubt very seriously that we will continue to go backwards in graduation percentage and have off the field troubles(Joe Burns, Kelly Campbell etc.) I have a great deal of respect for our head coach and his abilities. Maybe he won't get the numbers Georgia does, but how many of those actually academically qualify anyway. Every one is entitled to an opinion but please don't be so quick to show your ignorance by bashing a coach who hasn't even completed his first year at the helm of a team ravaged by injuries. Sting 'em Jackets!!!!!

We all know BS Bw by now, lets just ignore him. I think he may be one of those people who would rather be talked about bad than not talked about at all, just ignore the ---.

First of all, Gailey is coaching the talent that O'Leary left behind from his stay.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, he is, just not very well. Gruden is coaching the talent Dungy left behind so your point is kind of meaningless or is that what you meant when you said
be so quick to show your ignorance
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Originally posted by buzznut:
Gailey will instill character back into our program that O'Leary had managed to let slip away..........Every one is entitled to an opinion but please don't be so quick to show your ignorance...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">After an absolutely incredible statement like the one quoted above.......perhaps you should follow your own rule about showing one's ignorance?!?!?

I don't believe we've seen Gailey purposely humiliate an assistant like GO'L did Roof. GO'L has many positives as a football coach; character is not one of them.

Merry Christmas beeware!

By the way, we know your feelings on the head football coach at GT. That was your 946th post. Most of those 946 post said the same thing.

Is nice to see you agreeing with Ahso, but the rest of your post we've all heard before.
grin.gif

Beeware is right on the character issue. It is not naysaying to state an obvious fact - discipline is lacking on this year's team. I would say it permeates from the press box on down. Appearance and pride have diminished, and it is evidenced by the laid back approach from the time the team gets off the bus at Jacket Alley all slouchy to the crappy preparation before Georgia, culminating in 51-7. I'd say character is something he better get a crash course in.

The perception that CG is semi-retired and sipping mint juleps is just as totally arsinine as when it was first asserted and is at the root of a lot of this argument. Chan Gailey is a real man not a card board cut-out that we can disassemble at our leisure. He knows what he's doing and we do not. If he had of jumped up these guys beehinds on day one 1) It would have been a freshman mistake and 2) It would probably have backfired and destroyed these fellows confidence. Gailey is a genius for having gotten us through this season as well as we have. I've said it before (I think) but 51-7 was an indication of how our entire season could have gone. It could have easily been disastrous. We have a good man at the helm. Let's work with him and show him our support.

51-7 was an indication of how our entire season could have gone. It could have easily been disastrous.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">51-7 and 6th place in the ACC - I sure would hate to see your definition of a disaster.

You are right after all we did finish ahead of Wake and Duke, even though we lost to Wake. Good season.

DaveTech, with our QB and RB troubles I do think this was an ok season. Certainly not a disaster. The Ugag game sucked as did the second half against MD, but overall I thought this team did respond well to adversity. We'll see how it goes next year.

As for recruiting it seems we are doing pretty well. Obviously what happens between now and Feb are key but we appear to be doing at least as well as O'Leary's last couple of classes. And BTW, we have never outrecruited Ugag since I've been a fan (1975). Even when they have bad teams it's easy to recruit to a school like that. If some of you are basing our success or failure on how we do versus them, you are in for a long tenure as Tech fans. What we need to do is concentrate on getting the right guys, both on the field and off, putting them in the right positions and performing on gameday.

Being a martinet? Well getting worse vs. better as the season goes on only to get blown out 51-7 doesn't indicate character either. No one yet has offered any facts - only diversions - to explain how this happened. If this was indicative of a program going the right direction please explain it to us, especially with regard to the character issue. And please stop with this "well if he came in and was real tough they would have quit on him" routine. This laid back approach got us 51-7 so the current approach didn't work.

Very interesting thread here. Recruiting is only as good as the coaches that coach them once they get here. Chan has yet to show us what he can do. I'm afraid 2002 was not a good start.

Jim Donnan proved that at UGAG, he consistently had Top 10 recruiting classes nationally and never did what Richt has accomplished in 2 years. As one of our current players fathers said to me this season, these kids come out of high school and look to be taught the college game by their position coach and the head coach, there is so much more to learn these next 4 years.

Are these coaches good/great teachers? I think the jury is still out for our current group of coaches. Good/great recruiting can make or break you but it has to go hand and hand with good/great coaching!

This staff still has many questions regarding their coaching/teaching ability. IMHO, they were like a faucet, either hot or cold. The right mix could not be found for consistency. Here's hoping that 2002 was a learning experience for all and that 2003 will bear better results. The SVB bowl game hopefully will give us a peek at progress. Otherwise, get the resumes ready for the end of the 2003 season.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Recruiting is at best a big roll of the dice. Good or bad it is the lifeline of Div 1 schools. Good coaching is also a requirement to success at this level.
confused.gif

I realize that many of my sentiments are redundant but I have had to come to some rationalization for the Clem&Son, Wake, and Ugag tragedies.
pat.gif

Sela!
blue.gif

Back