We Could Lose to Mercer

On the plus side, I was starting to get worried that he was ill when he was all happy and optimistic. This sounds more like the coach we're used to hearing.

Some overlapping and some new post-presser sound bytes

Evaluation of the team after watching the game video:

“We just didn’t play very well. And I think you’ve got to give (Boston College) credit, but we didn’t play very well. We didn’t do a very good job as a staff, either.”

On his message to his staff:

“What you see is what you are. You’re either coaching it, or allowing it to happen. Tired of watching it.”

On what he liked about the game:

“Harrison Butker. I thought he had a great game. Qua Searcy showed up. He was pretty physical, made some plays. I mean, there were some individual guys who played well. We did enough to win. I thought that they fought. It would have been easy to (give in). They fought. But they’re their own worst enemy.”

On the feel of the game:

“It was a crazy game. It reminded me of a year ago at Notre Dame. That’s almost the same way we played. It was just like the first road game a year ago.”

On the team looking “shellshocked”:

“I don’t know shell shock, but we clearly weren’t ready to play, and that comes back to me. I include myself. I did a terrible job myself. I’m responsible for it.”

On being surprised by the team’s play:

“The way we played the first couple weeks of camp, I was excited to watch us play. We reverted right back to a year ago.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/6-things-that-paul-johnson-said-monday-after-pract/nsR5D/

“It was a crazy game. It reminded me of a year ago at Notre Dame. That’s almost the same way we played. It was just like the first road game a year ago.”

Well Coach, just keep working on your guys to "do what you do" while expecting that very talented defenses with very strong defensive linemen and linebackers are going to be coached to "stop what you do".

Maybe, you should look internally and try to come up with somethings a little less predictable.

Well Coach, just keep working on your guys to "do what you do" while expecting that very talented defenses with very strong defensive linemen and linebackers are going to be coached to "stop what you do".

Maybe, you should look internally and try to come up with somethings a little less predictable.

O-line needs a complete overhaul on how they approach defensive alignments. Communicating at the line about late adjustments isn't working in its current form.

A-backs and WRs need plenty of work on blocking, too. There was nothing going for us outside. BC was bringing three people motion side and we had no answer. It was a gang tackle every time.

635963831763209394-906644159_Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-13.gif

Pass protection, Dedrick Mills yards after contact and JT5 accuracy were the only things that I saw were better than last year. Other than that the team did look very similar to last year's. And that worries me because while I don't anticipate losing to Mercer, we're playing Clemson, Miami and Pitt right after vandy and I don't want to be 1-3 and out of Acc contention within a month after Labor Day.

OTOH, hopefully BC is the best defense we face this year.

Although, I do realize that a lot of our problem was the same old missed assignments, poor reads. JT5 willed us to win. He cannot do that every game.

Although, I do realize that a lot of our problem was the same old missed assignments, poor reads. JT5 willed us to win. He cannot do that every game.

He did that against Georgia Southern and uga in 2014.

BC may be the best defense we face all year but they're probably the öööötiest offense we face all year and we still let them go 350 yards against us. Take the turnovers away and you're looking at possibly 28-10 in the 4th. I don't know if our offense is good enough to win shoot-outs.

Yes. JT5 gave an icy stare to the Eagles from our sideline, thereby willing them into 3 turnovers.

I really don't think BC will be that bad again this year. They had no QB last year, and their best RB was hurt (the one that broke off a 73 yard TD against us).

Back