"We just don't have much depth" laments Coach Gailey.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
"We just don\'t have much depth" laments Coach Gailey.

Coach goes on to estimate that "we only played 14-15 D players". If u don't put them in, u can't develope depth. Are our 2nd stringers that bad?
GT played 15 D players: Brezina subbed for Wrotto, Wheeler subbed for Brown (when Brown was exhausted the 1st time & slightly injured the 2nd time), Davis/Reis played in nickel/dime packages (not as position subs, but as xtra DBs) & Brown comes out.
That's it. Except for Wrotto & Brown every D starter went the whole game.
Here's a very good article from the Macon Chronicle:

"we don't have much depth"

Re: "We just don\'t have much depth" laments Coach Gailey.

Personally, I call that poor management of player personnel by the defensive coordinator.

Father Time

Originally posted by GT Ace:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We may not have the most depth in the world....but we have more depth than we are using.

And the depth we have is not being utilized properly. Not sure if it is just the heat of the battle and the depth gets forgotten or what.

I remember Coach O'leary commanding our coaches to use more depth after the North Carolina game one year. And it definitely helped to play more players.

Yep, George commanded us to play more players after the NC State Game. The next week we played the exact same number of players.

The question is how much of a drop off do we have from the starter to the #2 guy. Even if they are fresh, if they aren't ready for college ball, meaning making the correct reads, etc., then most coaches will not be comfortable putting them in. I don't know the answer, but would hope that more practice time will get some of the younger guys ready to spell the starters more. Sure hope so or some of those guys are in for tough years.

Well put, NCJacket. That's what I'm saying in a way. Hard to believe that we only have 2 position subs on D that the coaches put in a game & 1 was forced.
Can we continue to ask our LBs & others to go to the pt of exhaustion? We will continue to lose gms in the 4th qtr with that attack. We had NO chasability in the 4th qtr.
We have lead every gm in the 3rd qtr & 2 almost to the end, yet GT has LOST 2 outta 3.
Golly, I'm pulling muscles wanting us to have a winning season, so I'm just asking.

there are few teams that have the quality of depth that FSU has - 3 deep at every position

we will match up much better in other games going 2 and 3 deep

i dont think GOLeavy used a lot of depth against FSU - maybe against UNC, but admit that there is a difference

bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Ace, I think we need to do two things. First, we do need to get more guys in the game. Not if they aren't ready mind you, but we need to push those backups to get it in gear so we can get them on the field.

Second the offense has to do a better job, especially in the second half of moving the ball. Simply put, we can't leave the defense on the field for 20+ minutes in a half and expect them to be effective.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Coach goes on to estimate that "we only played 14-15 D players". If u don't put them in, u can't develope depth. Are our 2nd stringers that bad?
GT played 15 D players: Brezina subbed for Wrotto, Wheeler subbed for Brown (when Brown was exhausted the 1st time & slightly injured the 2nd time), Davis/Reis played in nickel/dime packages (not as position subs, but as xtra DBs) & Brown comes out.
That's it. Except for Wrotto & Brown every D starter went the whole game.
Here's a very good article from the Macon Chronicle:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not much depth, huh! Chan do you think if you had watched closely the 'WELL BEING' of your SA's you wouldn't be in this MESS!!! This thread is so way out there - it's funny!

A manager has to know how their employees are doing - Chan failed here, I don't care what anyone says! Depth will be an issue going forward as well - I just wonder how many times he'll use these excuses????????
frown.gif

MistakenAnalysis:

take the blinds from your eyes, see the sunshine, lose your bitter coffee

you should be proud of our team right now, and not harping, harping, harping on what you consider "failures"

Coach Gailey has had one year to put his stamp on the program. so far, in his second year, i see total buy-in from the team

i guess that you're just not part of the team...

Originally posted by BuzzCzar:
MistakenAnalysis:

you should be proud of our team right now, and not harping, harping, harping on what you consider "failures"

Coach Gailey has had one year to put his stamp on the program. so far, in his second year, i see total buy-in from the team

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">In his one year the "stamp" he put on this program is A BIG MESS! He crys 'no depth' and YOU ALL ASK WHY? Failure to do your job should be the why at 900k per year! Good luck trying to convince those of us who see the big bucks paid out to make these kinds of excuses and fail!

Originally posted by BuzzCzar:
MistakenAnalysis:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm a part of the fan team like you. If I were a part of the team that put the product on the field ... I can't begin to tell you the changes I'd make right now. I'd revamp every part of this organization starting at the top and work my way down!

Ms TA, you are too funny!

Back in August you were saying that "If true freshman have to line up as starters and we are playing this schedule - and have no depth, we are not going to cut it and compete."

Now that CCG has coached the team to "Cut it and compete" with the toughest part of our schedule, you calim the HE is the one crying no depth. Funny, how you were the one crying this just 6 short weeks ago.

My question to you is, If you admitted this prior to the season, what were YOUR expectations from the first 3 games?

Did you expect us to win the AU game or "give out of gas/not compete"?

Did you expect us to go to Tally and shut down their offense, go toe-to-toe with them and come up 1 point short?

How much did you really expect us to lose by?

Since you would make changes at the top, who are you going to take a program that has 68 players on scholarship and fans that won't give a coach a real chance to put his program in place?

Okay coach _____, we'll pay you $xxxK per year, but we EXPECT you to come in next year, win at least 8 games (since the previous one only won 7 his first year and that wasn't good enough for you)and beat FSU and win the ACC championship the next year. I am sure you are aware coach, that the last guy went to Tally and lost by 1 point. He beat another team that was expected to win the SEC, but lost to BYU and WE WON"T ACCEPT THAT HERE !!

Here is your words if you want to read them:
http://www.stingtalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005390

Ms Tech cleverly writes:

I'm a part of the fan team like you. If I were a part of the team that put the product on the field ... I can't begin to tell you the changes I'd make right now. I'd revamp every part of this organization starting at the top and work my way down!

Oh no! Here we go again with the HR spin on how to maintain a successful football program.

Ya Know,.... with all your accusations of others firing off personal attacks, I would like to lodge a personal attack complaint as well. This stuff is killing me! Please relent, PLEASE.

I know that I should just say NO to reading your material, but I am weak and cannot help myself.

So, I beg of you... PLEASE STOP.
drinking.gif

I, too, fall into the trap of reading MsTA's redundant tirades. If I was as upset about the program as she is I'd find something else to do on Saturdays!
But I'm proud of the direction of our team and I believe that saying negative things on this board or any other public forum is just bringing the program down. Our guys - coaches and players - deserve our support.

MsTechAnalysis: Are you drunk, stupid or on a 365 day/year PMS trip?

I have thoughtfully read and considered your position and decided you are in desperate need of anti-psychotic medication.

id like to put her into that DV drill, in the middle of the cirle

then, with each ridiculous critisism, a player who disagrees shows his disagreement with a little SLAM-ANALYSIS

MsTakenAnalis, pls give it a rest!!!

Mslackanalysis:
second verse same as the first...

you say
A manager has to know how their employees are doing
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

If a plant manager hires a floor manager and tells him/her that his job is production and that he/she (the plant manager) will take care of personnel issues, then he/she (floor manager) has the legitimate expectation for his boss to do just that. Listen to what the ones on this board who are somewhat familiar with the program say on the issue.

you say
I don't care what anyone says!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We all know that--truth or not, logic or not, if you dreamt it you just don't care how it really is.

Depth will be an issue going forward as well

I am stunned by your insight
rolleyes.gif
This has been known since the AD failed to live up to the reponsibilities that he set forth concerning grades (or at the least she whom he charged with the responsibility failed.)

If you read the article linked above, you have either failed to comprehend to quotes or you have read into what Coach Gailey said. Coach Gailey's quote does not imply that that is the excuse for for losing; it simply states a fact that is irrefutable. Furthermore, he adds to his statement that it is his continuing responsibility to prepare thoses backups for action. You simply (and incorrectly IMHO) infer that his is using the depth issue as an excuse.

Whether you like the man or not (we all know your stance here) and whether you agree with how he coaches (again, yada, yada, yada,) you would have to honestly believe that Coach Gailey and staff would have the best possible combination on the field for any given down. Would a deeper roster create better combinations? Sure, but you work with what you have. Coach Gailey was criticized for not playing D'BO as much as some wanted (including me) last year. However, I think we can agree that he was not the man for that job or he would be in there now.

So I feel like you can rest assured that the personnel on the field is the best we have to offer. I understand the sentiment of getting some players some "real-game" playing time, but I don't think Coach Gailey is willing to risk a game simply for that reason.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

MSTA, my ex-wife went thru these phases too when her friend came to visit but even she had good days. Maybe a pill could help you thru these bad days you're having.

As for the rest questioning why Gailey isn't playing more people, I would think even he would like to win given the opportunity. Sure, we came close against FSU and hopefully we can get more players on the field against CU but all in all I think the coaches, players and fans want to win "the" game at hand rather than "letting up" or putting less than the best we have available on the field. I can hear Gailey saying, "well we could have won but we needed to get some less experienced players ready for next year". Give it a rest! The rest if this supposed losing, rebuilding, wasted or whatever you want to call it season is practice for NOV. 29, 2003. I hope CG and all Jackets want payback for last year.

Back