We Need Big Bad OL Because...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
I cringe several times this year when one or two of our offensive lineman, whom I won't call by name, got shoved into the offensive backfield, that's embarrassing.

South Georgia Jacket

I like GOL's philosophy of recruiting 'em tall and putting the weight on 'em. B-I-G, stud, hosses - on both sides of the ball!

I preferred Ross' philosophy of recruiting 300 pounders and slimming them down some.

I can say this-if you think that recruiting 265lb OLs to grow larger is smart,think again.By the time they get to the 290-300 size either you have played them in a LOSING effort(you can play them but you will get your butt kicked) or they won't play fo 3 yrs(therefore good for only 1) waiting to get bigger and stronger, so they will finally have size but little experience.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend recruiting losers that aren't going to put on weight either.

Some 6'5", 265 guys are winding down while others are just gearing up and capable of putting on another 30lbs of muscle. Same thing for the 6'7", 280 guy. With a supervised redshirt year that's not a bad angle to supplying your college linemen needs especially when you're recruiting against "bigger" programs for the mooses that are already physical specimens. Conversely, some of the 300lb'ers out of HS wind up with overweight problems. Most recruits out of HS are still in a major growth mode and I think it's smart to take that into account when you look at developing a kid's potential.

On the other hand if you can get the big, tall, athletic kids with mega-skills and good 40 time, shoot yeah go for it. But if you see a 6'5", 265 growing boy that has alot of talent and could carry another 30-40lbs I say bring 'em in, start feeding 'em steaks and chickens and get 'em in the weight room.

Kinda like what CCG is recruiting 285 range with mobility , 350+bp,500+squat.Take a year and add 20 lb.s you got a strong300lb.ol that can move. IMHO
drinking.gif

football games are won and lost on the LINES this is why i hope CHAN put togather good lines on both sides of the ball(BIG BOYS).In my little dream world i wish our lineman would be about 310 6'6, 6'5, 6'4 and very fast.

Back