We need Bilbo at QB!!

buzzy bee

Varsity Lurker
1. How many of you really believe we can beat UGA with Suggs at QB? I want to, but can't. I can already see us driving between the 20's, only to see our QB force a throw into the UGA secondary or take a sack. I would love to have a QB in who can turn a broken play or protection into a 10 yard gain!

2. Chan says Bilbo does not know the plays. Well the supposed "turnaround" for our current starting QB came the same week Chan reduced the playbook for him. Couldn't he do the same for Bilbo?

3. Next year: despite the high hopes I have with the return of Hollings, Gathers, etc., don't you get the feeling that the best Suggs will ever get us to is 7-5?

I want to like Chan and yes I thought he was good hire for this job but I he is quickly falling out of favor with me (not that anyone gives a damn) due his stubborness with the QB situation.

Props to Tenuta..this defense is winning us games, more obvious now that Chan has admitted to his "keep games close" NFL philosophy.

Will be there in Athens on the 30th..Defense can you win it for us??

Techrod, I agree, we will nickname Buzzy Bee as "Budweiser".

wink.gif

According to people close to the team we would have to reduce the playbook to 5-6 plays with Bilbo at the QB spot. Still interested?

I'm still amazed that so many insist there is something else going on here. I continue to believe that with 100+ college kids involved, if there was something else going on it would be common knowledge on campus. No way you keep that many kids quiet about anything.

NCJacket, let's assume Bilbo was not on the team, why would we not put Camp into the game?

Remember, most of us, debating the QB situation, are seeing many of the same deficiencies backed up by ACC quarterback stats.

wink.gif

Its true that we have stuggled at QB this year.. but I am not one who believes that Bilbo is the answer... not this year anyway... there is a reason why Bilbo is not starting and AJ is starting... I am sure that the coaches on the Flats know a little more about things than anyone of us Fans....

I am not so sure Suggs will be the starter next year... maybe he will and be a complete star .. I hope so... but I believe that the coaches are playing the guys that they feel will help us get a win...

In terms of the game in two weeks... I think we have to look at things just like they are... we will be playing a Top 10 program.. we arent ranked... we have stuggled offensively most of the year.. UGA will be alot like FSU in that they can afford to play a bad game, and still turn a couple of plays and win... we cant afford to miss on any plays... Do I think we can we? I always think we can win, but I think our chances have been better in years past.

nc, c'mon man...5-6 plays...now incredibly absurd is that comment? If there's room for any open mindedness here, just look-up DB's Recruting Database write-up on The Hive and then even after giving it a discount for HS ball....think about it. THWG

Think about what guys?

The best QB we were recruiting 2 or 3 years ago was Latrez Harrison. He's a WR at MD now. HS stats are fine, what separates the good players is whether they can make the adjustment. I just think Bilbo is having some trouble picking things up and will be fine given time.

Ahsoisee, I don't have a problem with the coaches either playing Bilbo more or playing Camp for that matter. Whoever they believe gives us our best shot. They may be wrong, but their guess is a hell of a lot better than mine.

I still say that if there were problems or something else going on we would know. When the team came apart during the BL years over the Davis vs Luckenbill times, it wasn't a secret around campus. 100+ kids can't keep their mouths shut IMO.

NCJacket, I can't argue your point about disharmony filtering to the rank and file. I really don't have any inside information myself, I just see something that does not compute in my head, and I often think out loud trying to fill in the missing pieces.

drinking.gif

I believe most of us trust the head coach to make the key decision at QB, which is fine. But this coach does some things that are baffling to say the least.

Ala Bobby Cremins it is called "develop some depth man!"

Ok, so Chan has hooked his wagon to Suggs. We can accept that. But Sat's game presented a perfect opportunity to get Bilbo some reps. Suggs was sick all week and played with the tooth infection. But in the second half, we went conservative and most of the series saw Suggs simply handing off or doing low-risk things himself. Let Bilbo get in the game and get a feel for it. One of this season's biggest regrets is not developing any depth. As far as the "limited playbook" is concerened - that is a crock. Don't try to tell me Bilbo can't run the option as well as Suggs. And don't tell me that all the Michael Vick type of mobile QB's are too dumb to play the position. That is a coach's cop-out. If he can't grasp the offense as a starter, how can he be the second best and have to come off the bench and win a game for you if Suggs were to go down.

Gailey is showing some signs of O'leary itis, a little stubborn in other words. That Duke game was put away and Bilbo could have seen the field!

Father WASP I do agree that I had hoped Bilbo would get more time against Duke. It would have been a great opportunity to get him some time. I don't understand your later comments however. How do you know it's a crock that he doesn't have a good grasp of the offense, how do you know he can run the option and how does any of this extrapolate into a conversation about Vick or mobile QBs being dumb?

AJ Suggs may practice better than Bilbo.

But under game conditions, AJ is the most inconsistent QB that I have ever seen. I have seen many better QB's and many worse QB's....but none more inconsistent under game pressure.

In totally limited playing time, it is obvious that Bilbo has a presence about him under game conditions. He can and does make things happen. Just look at the bomb he threw against Wake (of course he never played another down against Wake after the TD).

I appreciate very much the effort that AJ gives when he plays. But he is as good as he is going to get. Bilbo is already as good as AJ and there is no limit on how good he will get....that is IF he ever gets to play again.

Father Wasp I agree with your last post, I was questioning some of the things you said in the previous one. Specifically you said Bilbo not having a grasp on the playbook was a crock and alluded to this meaning all Vick type QBs were dumb.

My god BW I agree with you! AJ may be the least effective QB I also have seen in game situations(sp). Now my thoughts. It's time BOB does his job as I think AJ is only the symptom of the problem and not the cause. It's obvious that BOB is not doing the job as QB coach or as OC.

I predict we will finally see Bilbo in two weeks against ugag. With the immobile AJ back there, ugag is going to be on him hot and heavy. After a couple of interceptions, I bet we will see Bilbo. What do we have to lose?

might as well give Bilbo PLENTY of PT cause AJ ain't gonna get it done!!!!

My god BW I agree with you!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OF I about had a heart attack, could you PLEASE repeat that for me?

We have to remember that while CG is hanging OUR hat on AJ, Phil Fulmer didn't hang the hat there long. This is really two schools now that he hasn't cut it.

The part about grasping the playbook was started by the staff - not the fans. As for the option - we already run it, just not very effectively because Suggs is no threat to run it. By the time he approaches the end it is strung out so far the RB doesn't have much of a chance. Bilbo has speed. He also has quite an arm since Sat. he nailed a receiver on the run at about 40 yards with a bullet. My point NCJacket is that you design an offense around what your folks do best, not what you want to run. It is my belief that even if AJ is the starter, it is not wise to be at this point of the year with no backup experience. One play where he goes down and Bilbo is in there anyway, so at that point we will be left to watching Bilbo in the shotgun, QB draw. Bilbo throwing a long one, etc. Let's give the guy a chance. And let's not forget Camp or Logan, who I have some confidence in in their own right. I stated the part about Vick and other mobile QB's to point out that athleticism can overcome alot of things, even a limited playbook if you're a threat to tuck it and go.

Back