WE...the fans...acted the same way toward the game

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
Listen guys...I am disappointed our players and coaches could not mentally overcome the challenge of this game.

However, it is tough to play a game that is anti-climatic to our season...with one team having everything to gain with a win...and the other having nothing to gain but only lose. We could not overcome that.

You want evidence of how hard it was to get up for this game....READ THE GT FAN MESSAGE BOARDS for the past two to three weeks. We rarely talked about Utah (usually only when some Utah nut made a post thinking we cared)....instead 90% of the fan focus was RECRUITING, NOTRE DAME, THE ACC, and UGA.

WE could not even get focused on this game.

Do not get me wrong....this is an embarrassing loss...but this was set up over several weeks.

Re: WE...the fans...acted the same way toward the

I agree. I don't think that's what affected the coaching staff, though. I thinkt their problem goes much deeper than that, and has been here much longer.

Re: WE...the fans...acted the same way toward the

I do not even want to get into that part....just pointing out the extreme difficulty in focusing on the game...even the fans did not want to get into it.

absolutely right

we didn't want any part of the podunk bowl but we got dragged into it anyway. The AA has to listen to the fans and the players if they want to field seriously competitive teams.

I wish SI or ESPN would do an article on this game on the angle of the commercialization of the college game to the point that its all about business decisions. Bogus bowl games to fill out bogus claims for administrators to justify more money so they can jump ship before it sinks cash in hand.

Re: absolutely right

GT; athletic director, coaching staff and players, accepted the bowl bid. If you are going to accept the bid, then prepare to play the game. I don't want to here any crap about, well, even the fans had a hard time getting up for this one.

Chan Gailey and staff are employed to coach football at GT. They failed miserably yesterday. The players are under scholarship to play football at GT. Hate to say this, but many of them didn't show up physically or mentally to play the game yesterday. DB is the athletic director with the responsibility of, among other things, overseeing the football program. Today he better da** well be evaluating his staff and their effort (or lack-there-of) yesterday.

There can be no excuses for what happened, just total embarrassment for the GT football program. I mean, if you're that down about the da** game then simply decline the bid, stay at home and save the fans the disgust of watching the team go through the motions.

I understand your point, but there are about 1 million reason$ annually(and for the next 5 years) why Chan Gailey has to get beyond fan base disappointment with the bowl and do his job to motivate our student athletes. What a disservice to the seniors,(particularly those on defense), to have their last college football memory be one of such utter failure.

You know, I thought our outcry over the bowl had brought the fan base together. It was as if we were willing to be upset for the team, not at the team, claiming they deserved better. We were pulling for them.

With a great effort and win we could have taken that "chip on our shoulder" unity up to the ND kickoff. Instead, we have a winter to reflect on a troubling last four games - weak effort at UVA in quarters 1 and 4, good enough to knock off the Canes at home, a last second loss to the SEC champions, and a game of almost unprecedented ineptitude in the bowl. Any wonder why our fan base needs therapy?

As usual, too good to give up hope, not good enough to have too much hope.

Back