Wednesday Practice

theDude47

Dodd-Like
I was able to make it out to practice today and I jotted down some notes.

1. David Sims definitely looks a lot lighter than he did last fall, Perkins is already at a good playing size and solid, Peeples and Taylor have beefed up a little, Watson has really slimmed down, Bostic is way way too skinny, and TJ still looks like big ole TJ.

2. It was good seeing Groh working with the defense and linebackers. He is very vocal and is extremely hands on. I feel really confident with him out there.

3. I think Coach Kelly is going to do wonders with our secondary. It is so much better now that he is coaching the entire secondary. This will help them get on the same page a lot faster during a game.

4. I noticed that Groh had the entire defense working on batting down passes and getting to a loose ball. I never really saw this drill under Wommack.

5. Let's talk about the QBs. I think everyone has this part on their minds. Order of Arm Strength: Luallen = Sims > Washington. Both Jordan and David have really strong arms, and Tevin's isn't bad but you definitely notice it on the out routes. Order of Accuracy (thus far): Luallen > Tevin > Sims. Luallen looks really impressive out there. He can gun it to the edge of the field or across the middle. He especially looks good on the run. He just looks like he knows what he is doing. Tevin is night and day compared to when he first came in. Bohannon has done wonders with him. What used to be a lame duck pass 90% of the time has turned into a nice tight spiral. Tevin looked pretty darn good on throwing the long ball. Sims was fairly accurate but he consistently over threw the A-backs on the out routes. I think the height of the A-backs was causing him a lot of trouble. Compared to last Spring, the passing game looks to be a big improvement. This doesn't mean that there weren't a couple of interceptions by the defense and some wrong reads. Overall, I saw a lot of good stuff out there. Note: They threw a lot out of the shotgun and some out of the flexbone, most were short passes with a couple of screens thrown in.

6. The A-backs showed some brilliance in the passing game. Embry and Bostic had some really nice catches. Overall though, there were a lot of dropped passes that should have been easy completions. The WRs did a lot worse. They had serious trouble holding onto the ball and securing it before making another move. They coughed it up quite a bit and dropped some easy ones. Hopefully, they will get better. Hill and a couple of others showed some promise.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, just let me know.

They threw a lot out of the shotgun and some out of the flexbone, most were short passes with a couple of screens thrown in.

Man, those two things are unlike CPJ of '09. Not that I'm complaining.

Thanks for the writeup.

6. The A-backs showed some brilliance in the passing game. Embry and Bostic had some really nice catches. Overall though, there were a lot of dropped passes that should have been easy completions. The WRs did a lot worse. They had serious trouble holding onto the ball and securing it before making another move. They coughed it up quite a bit and dropped some easy ones. Hopefully, they will get better. Hill and a couple of others showed some promise.

This and fumbling are my two biggest concerns on the offense. I remember Embry specifically dropping a few wide-open, easy catches. I think one was in the uga game.

We relied a lot on Bay-Bay last year. I'm sure CPJ is looking to spread it around more this year. If we get some passing going along with the option we can really f*** with heads this year.

From the sound of things the A-backs have gotten better at pass catching.

Glad to see the QB info:

Luallen significantly bigger/stronger showing strong/accurate arm.

Sims lost weight and apparent "chip" on shoulder and is competing hard.

Washington much improved passer, he's always been a dangerous runner.

This should be a great competition for the #2 spot. Also, Days is gonna push all of them in the fall, according to him, atleast.

We relied a lot on Bay-Bay last year. I'm sure CPJ is looking to spread it around more this year. If we get some passing going along with the option we can really f*** with heads this year.

But even Bay-Bay dropped a 4th down pass in the UGa game that ended the potential winning drive.

This and fumbling are my two biggest concerns on the offense. I remember Embry specifically dropping a few wide-open, easy catches. I think one was in the uga game.

One was on the 3 against WF, and would have ended the suspense.

Note: They threw a lot out of the shotgun and some out of the flexbone, most were short passes with a couple of screens thrown in.

Can you tell how much of this shotgun formation is offensive scheme verses getting our guys on D some practice on where they should be in the 3-4?

But even Bay-Bay dropped a 4th down pass in the UGa game that ended the potential winning drive.

The difference is his was the exception, Embry's have been much more commonplace. I never felt comfortable seeing the ball head his way.

The difference is his was the exception, Embry's have been much more commonplace. I never felt comfortable seeing the ball head his way.

Don't forget Thomas dropped a sure TD against LSU in the Chicken Bowl. He had to overcome a bad rep for dropping balls, which he was able to to last year.

Embry was open and dropped a long pass in the second or third quarter against UGA last year. It was very disappointing because it wasn't his first time either.

I must remember things MUCH differently than most of you guys. I thought Embry was one of our more reliable A-Backs in the passing game. Ant had hands like a brick and Roddy wasn't catching well because of his messed up wrist.

Embry got more balls thrown his way than any other A-Back. I don't recall seeing him drop a ton, though I do remember the UGAg one. Also, most every ball that Nesbitt through to Embry were over the middle and that was not really Nesbitt's strong suit, so keep in mind it's not like these were well thrown balls that Embry was playing with here.

I gotta agree with unforgiven on this one. I too remember Embry being the one A-back who consistently got the ball thrown his way and a fair amount of good catches.

I must remember things MUCH differently than most of you guys. I thought Embry was one of our more reliable A-Backs in the passing game. Ant had hands like a brick and Roddy wasn't catching well because of his messed up wrist.

Embry got more balls thrown his way than any other A-Back. I don't recall seeing him drop a ton, though I do remember the UGAg one. Also, most every ball that Nesbitt through to Embry were over the middle and that was not really Nesbitt's strong suit, so keep in mind it's not like these were well thrown balls that Embry was playing with here.

Any ball that hits a receiver's hand is a well-thrown ball in my book.

I think most all of our A-backs could stand to improve their pass-catching skills.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Orwin Smith catch a couple of tunnel screens and trucking a few safeties.

Any ball that hits a receiver's hand is a well-thrown ball in my book.

I think most all of our A-backs could stand to improve their pass-catching skills.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Orwin Smith catch a couple of tunnel screens and trucking a few safeties.

I agree.....but these aren't receiver's we are talking about. Abacks probably need to have the most variation of skill sets possible on the whole team. Our Abacks did not grow up learning how to adjust to ball's thrown poorly in the air, they have not done it so much that the footwork is natural so they can concentrate on catching the ball. Just because a ball hits a receiver/aback in the hands does not mean it's a well thrown ball, it's just in most cases if it is a receiver he is good enough, that he can handle the footwork needed naturally so that all he has to do is catch it with his hands. Different story with someone who isn't able to naturally do those kind of things.

They have to know all the running schemes and run with the ball. They have to know a lot of different blocking patterns, and then they also have to be able to slip out for receptions.

You can't make a blanket statement that a receiver should catch any ball thrown his way when these guys are not 'receivers'. I'd say if our A-Backs catch 75% or more of the passes that are catchable, that is success in my eyes. Because of everything else they bring to the table. Receivers are a different story, they either block or catch the ball, I expect receivers to catch 90% or more of the passes that are catchable.

Back