Week 1 Games

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
08-04-2015.jpg

Opening week of college football brings a few interesting brands face to face, but equally interesting it is often the week of the year with the most opportunities for the hilarious upset of a team in the FBS by a team in the FCS, power bonus for a team in the power five. Who is going to take one for team schadenfreude? Let's have a look at week 1's most interesting games.

Saturday, August 29

3:30 PM - North Dakota State at Montana

The defending FCS national champion bison will actually be the first televised kickoff this year, what will feel like a full week before you can watch the rest of these on this list. Their victim, the Montana Grizzlies lost last year in a 22-10 decision en route to winning 9 games. North Dakota State, known for ritually devouring about 1 FBS team per season, doesn't have one on their schedule this year (took the FBS long enough to figure this out), so to make this right I'm officially declaring NDSU an honorary FBS member. Should they lose this game, they will have officially participated in the first FCS over FBS upset of the year! Congrats, NDSU. Opportunity awaits.

Thursday, September 3

6:00 PM - North Carolina vs South Carolina

The opening of Power Five Football and round 1 in the perennial season-long regional grudge match between the ACC and SEC, as well as the 12 football teams at various levels with the word "Carolina" in their names, and their 35 neighbors. Both of these teams are historically okay, and figure to be at least okay this year, so this football game should be okay. Personally, I'll eat this up like it's the freaking super bowl because I am chemically addicted to this game and it has been a long long time since my last fix.

7:00 PM - Elon at Wake Forest

Admittedly this is a long shot, because Elon last year was to the FCS what Wake Forest was to the FBS, but it's the first of our games that presents the tantalizing possibility of a Power Five FCS upset. Wake Forest was one of the lower performing teams in the entire FBS last year, although they had a defense which was increasingly reliable late in the year which will probably be enough to bail them out here barring any increase in productivity on the other side of the ball. I'm hoping we don't see Wake Forest have some kind of offensive renaissance for a reason other than that the tears of FBS fans are a delicious seasoning in the cuisine of my people, and that reason is Alex Kinal. The Australian punter for Wake Forest is very near the all time NCAA record for career punts and other fun things, and if he remains on last year's trajectory he will etch an unobtainable mark into the record books which will stand long beyond the time when graduate students at the University of Cydonia on Mars studying ancient Earth cultures line the game of football up along the same pages as ancient Aztec blood sport. I want the punctuation mark on Alex Kinal's campaign of field flippery to be something you could only write in Nazgul. I want to see him punt 40 times a game, all season. Sorry, Wake Fans. Actually, admit it, Wake fans, you'd like to see this too in kind of a twisted way.

7:30 PM - Alcorn State at Georgia Tech

You should watch this game because Georgia Tech should be your favorite team. In fact, you should go to this game, that'd be fun!

8:00 PM - Western Kentucky at Vanderbilt

Western Kentucky games should always be on your radar, because if they are anything like last year, they will always be fun. Western Kentucky either scored or allowed a billion points in each and every single game last year, capping off its regular season with a borderline erotic 67-66 overtime win at a nationally ranked Marshall. Both of the lowest scoring games last year in which WKU was a participant were blowouts, a 59-10 loss to Louisiana Tech and a 45-7 win vs UTSA. I can tell you one thing about this game for sure, just knowing WKU is on the field, it will be fun. As insurance on that statement, WKU's starting quarterback Brandon Doughty is back for a SIXTH year of eligibility. Now that we have established the presence of gasoline, let's try to add some fire: Vanderbilt. As awful as their record was last year, they are liable to put up a good fight in this game. I don't think we'll see a repeat of their 37-7 loss to Temple (if only because WKU wouldn't stop at 37), but they are in real jeopardy here if they don't have great improvement over last year. Bonus points to Vanderbilt for upping the stakes on South Carolina, as well. If the Gamecocks don't take care of business, the SEC could very well start the season out 0-2. Paul Finebaum would be delighted at the wealth of trolling opportunity.

9:00 PM - TCU at Minnesota

Let's take a break from the regional tribe warfare and the genuine joy upon seeing the suffering of others and visit what could actually be a very good football game. These two teams last year jumped out to anomalous seasons, and TCU's victory over Minnesota was a big part of the debate over precisely where they should fall in (or out of) the playoff picture for a while. Both teams are obviously going to be looking for more than they wound up with last year, with TCU hankering to win a playoff berth and Minnesota itching to represent in the Big 10 championship game, so in their 2015 debut I expect both teams to put their best foot forward.

8:30 PM - Michigan at Utah

Michigan was a lake of salty emotions last season, and the epicenter of some truly embarassing stuff, thanks in large part to the journalistic prowess of some of its fans (thank you all, truly). Now they've hired a coach who may actually have a progressive psychosis of some kind but is erstwhile very good at football things, or so his resume says. Rebuilding is probably the order of the day, but they'll have to get off to that in a hurry against Utah. In case you missed this contest last year, Utah soundly beat a Michigan team that probably wasn't expecting to be raided by a group of respect pirates who come from a state with an actual salt lake. Utah was no joke, losing to only a bunch of top 15 teams and uh... Washington State, whose coach is an actual dread pirate and probably didn't appreciate any kind of unauthorized piracy in his domain. Either this will be a good game where we get to see what's in store for the Harbaugh era, or it will re-open some very fresh wounds for Michigan fans. Either way, we get to see something fun.

9:30 PM - Duke at Tulane

Duke has been a surprising story for the last two years, arguably the best back to back years for the program in living memory. Coach Cutcliffe has made a ton of people really really mad that their programs lost to DUKE of all schools, but can he keep it up? Duke loses a ton of important pieces this year, and isn't a school which traditionally reloads... or rebuilds. I don't expect a game against Tulane to really tell anyone much, but if Duke wins comfortably, I think you can keep them on your radar for the rest of the season. On its own merits, this game should probably be a close one, if you find yourself unable to pay attention to the rest. Bonus points for watching this if you're a Georgia Tech fan (you should be), both of these teams are on the schedule.

10:00 PM - UTSA at Arizona

Last year, a senior laden UTSA took a talent laden Arizona down to the wire, and it was incredible fun to watch. Whether this was a function of UTSA or was just the way Anu Solomon seems to prefer every game is difficult to know, but UTSA didn't recapture near-Arizona levels of production again last season, finishing with just 4 wins. Can they recapture the magic?

Friday, September 4

1:00 AM - Colorado at Hawaii

Hawaii continues its long standing tradition of doing completely un-American things like playing in college football games that START at 1 in the morning, somehow entrapping both Colorado fans and CBS Sports Network in their evil ploy. I know, I know, time zones. Still, Hawaii, think of this like a business decision. If you'd just kick off every home game at like 6 AM your time, millions of people would be awake to watch it. Sell ad space or something.

3:30 PM - Charlotte at Georgia State

Nothing else is on, and Charlotte could totally win, I mean, it's Georgia State. Just keep it on in the background in case something happens.

7:00 PM - Baylor at SMU

Art Briles brings a busload of touchdowns and a 400 lb tight end a few miles down the road to kick the tires on an attack that everyone, everywhere, needs to be watching. SMU just hired that guy from Clemson who was pretty good at calling plays on offense. I won't say this will be a close game, Baylor should win by approximately 7*10^52, but it should be very fun to watch.

10:15 PM - Washington at Boise State

Boise continues its long standing tradition of playing a power five team on the opening week with an opponent who should be a lot easier than their first few. They always show well in these games and have fun trick plays. The catch, here? You have to watch this on the smurf turf. Get your black and white sets out and pretend it's the good ol' days, I guess?

Saturday, September 5

12:00 PM - South Dakota State at Kansas

Kansas is an odd beast. It's been one of the very worst FBS teams for the last few years, including even last year, but very very briefly last year, they were not. They gave us a moment of "wow Oklahoma State is overrated" and then promptly went back to sleep, only to abruptly reawaken against Iowa State to win a conference game for the first time in forever. "Haha, Iowa State," we all thought. We were fools! Fourth ranked, virtually playoff-bound TCU SURVIVED its encounter with Kansas and from that point on... Kansas was freaking awful again. Rock Chalk What The Heck? In any event, Kansas played a pretty close opener last year with Southeast Missouri State and South Dakota State was good enough, for an FCS team, last year. This game is on the list because it has Power Five FCS upset potential. It would be the most disappointing of potential upsets, though, because Kansas is #1 at disappointing.

12:30 and 1:00 PM - Wofford at Clemson, Maine at Boston College, and Youngstown State at Pittsburgh

The ACC is seemingly contractually obligated to have an otherwise decent team drop one laugher at the beginning of the season, and any of these could just as easily as the next be that game. Bonus points for watching Clemson because #Clemsoning, and now they have two offensive coordinators for twice the #DaboDance.

3:30 PM - BYU at Nebraska

Bo Pelini is out, and some guy who has been coaching Oregon State forever is in. What does this mean? We're all eager to find out after the drama that ended the Pelini saga at Nebraska. BYU is still BYU and will definitely tell us who the new Nebraska is. This should be among the better games on the day.

3:30 PM - Louisville vs Auburn

Petrino, the evil genius, and Grantham, he of the "choke" sign, take their talents to Atlanta, for players and coaches permitted to travel in the state by law, to meet up with mad scientist Gus Malzahn and sleeper agent Will Muschamp in the Chik Fil-A something or other. Round two of the ACC-SEC grudge match will commence, almost certainly with the presence of hidden knives, dust being thrown in eyes, groin kicks, and other elements of advantage. This will probably be the best game of the day.

3:30 PM - Virginia at UCLA

Virginia did not do extremely well last year, but they played UCLA in the opener pretty close. With Brett Hundley just a little too far away from LA to complete a pass in this game, will UVA be able to take this one? One thing's for sure, Mike London's job is probably on the line this season. This could either be a big win for him, or the start of a slow burning dumpster fire that ends in December with a lot of people very sad that Zima is gone.

7:00 PM - Arizona State vs Texas A&M

Arizona State's Berkovici was one of my favorite quarterbacks to watch last year when he got playing time, because he is a very visibly intense person. He doesn't like to celebrate, he doesn't like to take time off plays, he doesn't even look like he likes to stand on the sidelines when ASU is on defense. He's always got this berserker glare in his eyes and he has nearly uncontrollable power in his throws. Put him in one of those bizarre helmets ASU had that looked like someone ate several glow sticks and then vomited on a black bowling ball, and he's got an air about him like he just ingested some mushrooms to make himself feel invincible and he's about to charge the enemy lines wearing little more than a battle axe. I wonder if ASU is bringing those helmets back? Anyway, a potent rendition of Pac 12 football meets the silly attack of Texas A&M and this game should resemble an episode of Dragon Ball Z. People are going to be flying everywhere, explosions, chaos, everyone speaking Japanese. It'll be difficult to follow for fans of defense, but quite fun.

7:30 PM - West Virginia vs Georgia Southern

I think this would be one of the weirdest games to attend, because both groups have accents and grammar that are thick enough for people from the surrounding area to have difficulty understanding them. Either these two groups are about to discover that they can understand eachother perfectly and become instant best friends, or they are going to be completely lost and possibly hostile and definitely way too drunk and then someone is going to light a couch on fire and it's all down hill from there. It's one of those things that when I think about it, I'd like to see it, but then when I think about it a little more, I really don't want to see it. The game, though, the game should be good. Georgia Southern has a habit of playing above its station, and West Virginia is really only slightly above its station.

7:30 PM - McNeese State vs LSU

McNeese State looked pretty good last year against Nebraska. Les Miles is involved. You never know, folks.

Sunday, September 6

3:00 PM - Purdue at Marshall

Brand recognition outside the Power Five is spotty at best, so if you don't recognize the Thundering Herd, you are forgiven, but you should really fix that. This will be the only game on, and Marshall is always fun to watch. Plus, Purdue has recently been SO BAD it's fun to watch, so it's double the fun.

Monday, September 7

8:00 PM - Ohio State at Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech won this game last year, then limped towards the finish line, died, was revived by paramedics, limped a few more feet, died again, was placed into a casket, and then carried by weeping fans across it. Ohio State lost this game last year, then immediately became more powerful than you could ever imagine. What the heck is going to happen here? Virginia Tech gets approximately 100 starters back from injury but retains their offensive coordinator, a decision that has many critics. Ohio State now has so many Heisman contenders at QB it is moving one to RB. Trick plays, anyone? Ezekiel Elliott? Good lord. Bud Foster + a ton of talent, coordinator PLEASE... This will be a good game.

We're almost there!

08-24-2015.jpg

For those who have managed to read to this point and who are interested: the comics come from the #CFBFanLife segment on my wife's website Ducky Comics (LINK). The weekly game preview is now also hosted on that site as "The 2 Minute Drill" (another LINK). All clicks, shares, tweets, reblogs, and other social maneuvers are humbly appreciated.

Last edited:
I got a bad feeling that the Elon game is the first humiliating ACC defeat.

Thanks, these are fun.

Last edited:
I enjoyed these last year. Season is just around the corner! I'll be watching Tech and UCLA as always. Washington at Boise should be interesting with Chris Petersen returning to face his former team. I'll probably check out TCU as well since I've always rooted for them. I'll keep an eye out for Southern vs. WVU as it could be interesting.

Can't wait to be at the Michigan game. ööööing tickets are all around 200+ though. The only single game tickets available were standing room only and they are 175 face.

Is anyone managing the Stingtalk Betting Challenge this year?

That's crazy that TIA overlooked that one. That's more watchable than anything else in that slot.

Lmao I screwed that one up big time. I'll write a blurb for it later but honestly the fact that I missed it is funny enough.

Lmao I screwed that one up big time. I'll write a blurb for it later but honestly the fact that I missed it is funny enough.

Eh, no biggie. We all know that you really don't like college football that much.

Back