Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

We've lost 6 straight overtime coin tosses:
2017 UT
2014 UGA
2013 UGA
2012 Miami
2012 VT
2011 Utah

The chance of losing 6 in a row is 1/64.

That's really bad luck because the team that wins the overtime coin toss wins the game over 60% of the time in the FBS. We won only 1 of those 6 games.

The last time we won an OT coin toss was 2009 Wake Forest, and we won that game.

You are correct.

Tech has in those 6 overtime games scored just 4 TD's in 8 total OT periods, with 1 FG (Utah), 1 interception (VT) and 2 turnovers on downs (2013 UGA 2nd OT and Miami).

In addition, Tech has twice missed FGs on the final play of regulation that would have won the game (Utah, Tennessee), made 1 FG on the final play of regulation to force OT(UGA 2014) and allowed 1 FG on the final play of regulation to force OT (VT).

Overtime should be exciting, like it was in 2014 in Athens, but it's just a hope killer. Against UT, I was still hoping the voice in my head that had been screaming "ALL IS LOST" would be proven wrong, until we missed the field goal. If it feels that way for me, I have to imagine that going to overtime after blowing a lead is demoralizing for the players. The numbers seem to support that.

Overtime should be exciting, like it was in 2014 in Athens, but it's just a hope killer. Against UT, I was still hoping the voice in my head that had been screaming "ALL IS LOST" would be proven wrong, until we missed the field goal. If it feels that way for me, I have to imagine that going to overtime after blowing a lead is demoralizing for the players. The numbers seem to support that.

This. Four of those six games, we blew double digit leads. We lost all four.

I'd love to see a stat that shows the winning percentage of the team that forces overtime. Every single one of those games except for UGA 2014, the opposing team scored at the end to force overtime. Like the poster above said, it's demoralizing.

I'd love to see a stat that shows the winning percentage of the team that forces overtime. Every single one of those games except for UGA 2014, the opposing team scored at the end to force overtime. Like the poster above said, it's demoralizing.
I just posted a paper on this in the other thread.

Big cry. still undefeated in regulation. Everyone knows OT is fake football and provides a 'winner' about as convincingly as penalty kicks do in futbol.

Paul Johnson Challenge Coin
Side 1: It Is
tenor.gif

Side 2: It Is
fixed

Why the hell did I have to read "2013 U[sic]GA" this early in the morning. My day is ruined.

Back