Well, at least the refs are playing their game

The Jacket

The Coat
Let's start an official log for the game.

Blown Call #1: Blatant pass interference against Miami results in Greg Smith only having one arm to catch with and thus gives Miami an interception in the endzone.

You're never going to get a pass interference call when you throw into triple coverage. Never.

He was well ahead of the coverage, he stopped, went up and was grabbed all over. You can't count the guys that show up when the ball is on it's way.

Sure you can. It happened to Miami on their first drive when Kyle Wright underthrew the ball three times in a row. They could've called pass interference more than one of those, but they didn't because of the underthrows. Just like you're more likely to get interference called against you when you are consistently getting burned(us vs. bc), you're also less likely to get it called for you when you're making bad passes(has happened to both us and Miami today).

Pussy-footin' football!

You people really don't get it.

You can't engineer a football game!

That was a horrible call. The D back had Smiths right arm when he tried to jump. What does triple coverage have to do with pass interference?

It has a lot to do with it. Pass interference is completely a judgment call, a real gray area. If the ref doesn't think you deserve it, or if he doesn't think it really affected the play, he's not going to give it to you. It's why Calvin was able to commit offensive pass interference on almost every fade route he ever ran.

Haha. I'm not speaking evil of Calvin at all. He kept doing it because the refs let him. That's not being evil, it's being smart. Just because the rule book says something doesn't mean that's the way it is; you have to see how the rules are actually implemented and play to those.

I'd love to see video of Calvin doing this. I don't remember it ever happening.

Find some videos of him running the fade into the endzone. Most of the time he would run right up to the corner, grab the guy's chest as the ball was in the air, then slightly push off as he spun around to jump for it. Nothing flagrant, but when you're 6'5" and the corner is around 6', you don't need to create too much separation to make it an easy catch.

Like I said, I watched him run that route for as long as everyone else, and I never saw him do that. If you could suggest some particular instances, that'd be awesome.

I can't suggest any particular instances, because I seem to remember it on almost every time they ran it right(ie good throw by Reggie so Calvin didn't have to adjust). The problem is that this play is fairly unremarkable, so you don't really get youtube videos of it, and even if you do, Johnson is likely to be out of the picture until the ball is close to him.

Back