Well, GT's best hope is recruiting the rich state of Florida

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, GT\'s best hope is recruiting the rich state of Florida

Tech's recent early commits from Nebraska & Pennsylvania notwithstanding, it appears that Coach G's best move to get the players needed to compete in the ACC is in the talent laden state of Fla. Gailey & staff did much better there in the past yr than most realize & seem to have some 'ins' with the coaches down there.

In his 1st recruiting class Coach Chan only got Venice Gilliam & Eddie Ivery, but the staff came on strong in Fla in their 2nd season. The recruits: Joe Anoai, Pat Carter, Chris Dunlap, Brian Fleuridor, Rashaun Grant, LeShawn Newberry, Adamm Oliver, Kyle Pupello & Kenny Scott. This is a pretty good group of talent & most will make an early impact @ GT, some very early.

All 11 of these younsters appear to have the grades in order & a desire to do well in school. GT has a solid history of only losing a coupla Fla young men after they get here, in all these yrs. The academic side really helps Tech in that they stay eligible.

Coach Gailey should continue to do, at least, as well as he did in '03 & is really on the verge (POISED) to do even better in Fla. With Miami now in the ACC, I see many, many Fla kids wanting to be in the same conference with FSU, Miami, play on the field against them & be on TV with them. If the Noles & Canes don't offer them, GT could reap a whirlwind of talent. Of course, it will also help Clemson, NC St & in the lesser star athletes, Wake Forest.

Rather than looking at Miami as another extremely tough game to win, it may be the 2nd best thing to happen to Tech in the past 35 yrs, with 11-0-1 being 1st. The Yellow Jackets could/should be bringing in football talent on an almost equal footing with FSU/Miami very, very shortly. Maybe even by '04. These Fla youngsters will look quicker @ GT & probably will be ruling out the Syr, BC WV, Rut of the BE.

GT's staff has added xtra recruiting in Fla &, now, may even add more. There is absolutely no reason that Ga Tech can't become a MAJOR recruiter of football talent in Fla. If we don't strike now, & we have a solid base established, we will miss out on an opportunity of a talent bonanza.

Re: Well, GT\'s best hope is recruiting the rich state of Florida

Ace, and others it is just this simple to me: Coach Gailey asked when he came if the school was willing to give what was needed to recruit a team that could compete for a national championship. The answer was "yes".
This calls for an all out effort to "get the job done" unless the powers that be did not live up to their word.
Considering everything: I fully expect an effort that is proportional to the highest expectations in rucruiting. Anything less will be a dismal dissapointment (in my opinion).

techsamillion, I'm not so sure that "yes" came from The Hill. IMO you were right on in a previous thread about "expectations". My concern is that they just aren't high enuf at the top OR throughout much of our fan base.

Let's just hope/pray that Bilbo gets his chance and is allowed to fail in the early going (first 4 games), and that the injury bug doesn't bite. If so, I think we may have a chance to come out of this in the short term. In the long run however, those expectations must change and we must come to grips with academic neurosis. THWG

U're right on, GoldZ, the expectations of GT people are way too low. They think the best we should hope for is 6-6 without getting embarrassed somewhere.
Heck a rebuilding yr @ FSU is a 9-4 reg season. A rebuilding yr @ Miami is 9-3. Last yr @ Virginia, a 'rebuilding' yr since they played so many Fr, was 9-4 reg season.
C'mon folks, O'L's 'worst' yr of his last 5 was 7-5 in '98 & 7-5 in '01(& that team finished 8-5). In between were 10,9 & 8 win seasons. There's no reason whatsoever that we should expect less out of Gailey than we did outta O'L. GT doesn't have to give anybody 'time' to figure out what's going on. Richt won a conference championship his 2nd yr. Should we expect less outta Gailey than we do outta Richt? (Watch the excuses pour in as to why Gailey can't coach a conf champ team like Richt did).
There's no reason these GT players, or coaches, can't win the ACC, NONE. Perhaps they don't know how to do what is necessary, but they can do it. We, the fans, shouldn't jinx them by expecting them to win a few, lose a few & simply NOT get the job done.
C'mon Tech people, let's do & expect all we can to win an ACC championship. Don't u think our AD staff can do it? Don't u think our football coaching staff can do it? Don't u think GT's very good football players can do it?

Ace, I almost bit. Your post was tongue in cheek.... right?

I see no reason why we can't win the ACC. You have that little faith in GT?

JJ, we will win the ACC, and the national championship. We will do it when all of Ga. Tech allows us to do it. Go Jackets!

We'll win when our players &, somewhat, our coaches have the 'will' to win. That 'will' can be recruited with outstanding players, taught by a coaching staff that knows how to win a championship or inspired by a person or thing occurance that lifts the team to having the 'will' to win it all. GT fans saw it in '90, again in '98 & almost again in '00.
GT's players will not win because some Institute 'allows' them to.

GT Ace, it certainly was not O'Leary. We have already proven he was very inept without Friegden. 18-20 and 0-4 against UGA in 3/13 years without Friegden is pitiful.

At least Gailey has a better start than this.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well, O'L sure knew how to HIRE asst coaches that could help him win an ACC championship. Hiring the 'right' asst coaches is a big part of being a div1a HC. If you can't hire good coaches who can recruit, keep the recruits & teach them how to be even better, you have failed at the hiring practice.
Does Gailey know how to hire good asst coaches who know how to win championships????
That's a very good question, Ahso, & thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Can the football Asst Coaches at Ga Tech get the job done?????

Back