Well now we've done it....new goal posts

drinkclearwiskey

Jolly Good Fellow
And they are the collapsible kind. Well it was fun while it lasted.

*Two new goal posts were installed at Bobby Dodd Stadium this week. Both have been engineered to be collapsible. Tech officials were taught how to build them by, ironically, Virginia Tech. It was after a win over the No. 4 Hokies that thes goal post in the North end zone was torn down and marched down the street the night of Oct. 17.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/tech-defense-works-on-186392.html

I think it's hilarious VT showed us how to build them.:laugher:

Are they of the hydraulic lowering type? Or, are they simply easier to disassemble? I'd imagine that if we learned how to build them from VPI, we'll have no problems tearing those ****ers down. Except that we're going to be a top ten team and should rarely have the situation arise where marching the goalposts around is appropriate.

Are they of the hydraulic lowering type? Or, are they simply easier to disassemble? I'd imagine that if we learned how to build them from VPI, we'll have no problems tearing those ****ers down. Except that we're going to be a top ten team and should rarely have the situation arise where marching the goalposts around is appropriate.

Did I misread that or did you ninja edit it from never to rarely?

I too wonder what they mean by "engineering to be collapsible". I assume they mean hydraulic.

I don't think it means hydraulic. If it meant hydraulic, they would have said hydraulic. I'm pretty sure it just means they will come down easier and there will not be a SNAP. Probably a lot cheaper to put new ones in. Could be wrong though.

Are there any NCAA penalties or fines we incur when we tear down goal posts?

No. If there was, that would be at the conference level, not the NCAA level. For example, the SEC fines a team $10,000(?) when their fans storm the court in basketball.

I don't think it means hydraulic. If it meant hydraulic, they would have said hydraulic. I'm pretty sure it just means they will come down easier and there will not be a SNAP. Probably a lot cheaper to put new ones in. Could be wrong though.

There is technology that uses nitrogen filled cylinders that get installed in the ground that could provide the means to lower them slowly.

If we can steal the T off the Tech tower, we can still tear down a damn goalpost. I'm sure given a bit of time someone could show up with a cutting torch, and "collapsible design" be damned.

If we can steal the T off the Tech tower, we can still tear down a damn goalpost. I'm sure given a bit of time someone could show up with a cutting torch, and "collapsible design" be damned.

When's the last time someone successfully got the T?

Save the goal posts til we when the NC--SOON--then tear 'em BOTH down! (maybe next year)!

Not anymore. After the last time it was stolen they made the T like fort knox. They have 24 hour closed circuit security cameras, pressure sensitive roof tiles, cables running through it that set of an alarm when the connection is broken.

Stealing the T would be an inside job, you would need to infiltrate security/GT police to get the defenses turned off.

Not anymore. After the last time it was stolen they made the T like fort knox. They have 24 hour closed circuit security cameras, pressure sensitive roof tiles, cables running through it that set of an alarm when the connection is broken.

Stealing the T would be an inside job, you would need to infiltrate security/GT police to get the defenses turned off.

This

Oh come on! You mean to tell me a school that can help design a rocket to take people to outer space can't figure out how to beat that piddly little system? :p

Go all Tom Cruise and Mission Impossible that bad boy!

I was this close one night to getting that inside job accomplished too.

Back