Well......

33jacket

Dodd-Like
Here is the point. To date our record is better than alot of us thought, including me. I missed on this a ton. But I went back to look at our conversations the past 8 months....and low and behold:

These are my posts and replys, but the point with them is alot of us have been talking about the issue with our defense for months.

I specifically have been talking about the OL sucking against better ACC opponents. The offense has taken a dive in the past 2 weeks. This is coming to fruition. The next three will be make or break.

UVA WAS A TOTAL FAIL in every facet of the game. PJ should be feeling the pressure from fans as much as groh. The playcalling has been suspect and the sloppiness and no execution falls on him. Groh has had only 1 year to recruit to his system and is using no talent. PJ has had 4. Not the same folks.

UVA felt alot like Kansas. Last week did too. This team is starting to just roll their helmets out. No focus, penalties turnovers. It is JUST LIKE last year. Are they getting worn out? Does PJ need to scale back contact in practice a notch? Why so many mental errors? The lack of offensive production, inability to establish the dive is a HUGE issue.

I am sure many of you could go back and put the same quotes like below. It was obvious from day one, but yet I don't feel like we are recruiting to address these issues on the lines. Do you?

10-2-2011

been saying it for 6 months now. Our DL is the same, don't expect huge improvements from last year. Same guys, same issues, expect slight improvements due to familiarity with scheme and better backend. But not big improvements. Our line is pedestrian.

10-2-2011

First. Don't believe the depth chart weights. I have met PEters and Walls, in fact a few times, and Peters is listed at 270, that is about right. Walls is not 300. Not close. He is 290 preseason, during the season his weight drops a ton due to playing, he is playing near 285.

Second. Walls has no shimmy shake. Watch guys like Vince wilfork. There explosion in the first 5 yards is the best in the NFL. They can get upfield and lateral as quick as a LB in the first 5 yards. You guys can't just do a depth chart size weight crap and determine if we have personel. I am 6 ft 2; and 190. I can gaurantee you, I can't play CB. I don't have the hips. I can play Safety though.

The NT skillset is one we don't have. The combined size with the skillset is VERY HARD to find.

10-2-2011

the only delusion here are the fans who thought because of Groh, we would have a world beater defense with the SAME PERSONNEL. You guys don't get the fact our older, mature players are not very good. They are average. And the youthful guys are young and athletic but their bodies are not totally ready.

So the delusion is you fans imo.

We have a 1st year MLB. We have 3 very average DL for this scheme. We have 1 very average OLB for this scheme. And a VERY YOUNG secondary.

The secondary has played well I think. They were asked last game not to give up the deep ball. Check. They shut down graham. They were asked for force the under for two games and did it, despite zero pass pressure. They are always in position to make the hit. That means the scheme is there and its coached properly.

The front seven is average in talent and physique for this scheme and if you think a coach can make magic out of that through scheme you are mistaken. Issue is recruiting to the system. Just as it is and was an issue for offense. It has taken paul 4 years to do it, and we are still young.

9-17-2011

As predicted the d front is the same as last year. No pressure nothing. What a shock. Same players same results I don't know why anyone had higher hopes.

Third down defense is atrocious

No blitzing or aggression. We r in base two deep every play just watching.

That qb has all the time in the world and like 2 incomPletions.

Alot of work to do.

8-29-2011

a few comments.

I still can't believe how small our OL is. Short and Small. I believe, when we play talented DL that has size we will have trouble establishing the dive initially; and will have to establish the perimeter first to open it up. I just don't know if I have to get used to PJ always having tiny OL or we are just severely under-recruiting this spot in numbers and size...or both?

4-3-2011

11. DL has to improve on clogging holes in 2 gap run downs. Still a weak point I believe...

3-3-2011 - when referring to our starting NT And backup

I'll play

One is big and plays with no mean streak, quickness; he just leans, gets blocked right out of the hole. Totally a soft player. And no matter what you do you can't cure soft if it ain't happened by now.

One is undersized and over 4 quarters can't hold his own consistently, but does have moments of good play. Gets dominated against good BIG interior lineman from SEC and Clemson, Miami etc type schools. He is a rotational player, yet our starter. I am not hard on logan, he tries, he plays well in spurts, but the man is a interior DE in this scheme not NT.

negrodamus.png

Here is the point. To date our record is better than alot of us thought, including me. I missed on this a ton. But I went back to look at our conversations the past 8 months....and low and behold:

These are my posts and replys, but the point with them is alot of us have been talking about the issue with our defense for months.

I specifically have been talking about the OL sucking against better ACC opponents. The offense has taken a dive in the past 2 weeks. This is coming to fruition. The next three will be make or break.

UVA WAS A TOTAL FAIL in every facet of the game. PJ should be feeling the pressure from fans as much as groh. The playcalling has been suspect and the sloppiness and no execution falls on him. Groh has had only 1 year to recruit to his system and is using no talent. PJ has had 4. Not the same folks.

UVA felt alot like Kansas. Last week did too. This team is starting to just roll their helmets out. No focus, penalties turnovers. It is JUST LIKE last year. Are they getting worn out? Does PJ need to scale back contact in practice a notch? Why so many mental errors? The lack of offensive production, inability to establish the dive is a HUGE issue.

I am sure many of you could go back and put the same quotes like below. It was obvious from day one, but yet I don't feel like we are recruiting to address these issues on the lines. Do you?

Good post.

Here is how I see our defense and offense personnel on a 10 point scale:

Defense ~ 5/10 (bad d-line 3/10, horrible LBs who can't even solo tackle 3/10, and a decent secondary 7/10)
Offensive ~ 7/10 (good backs 9/10, good WRs 9/10, meh OL 6/10, average QB 6/10)

Our play on the field in the past few games has been:
Defense 4.5/10 (90% of max)
Offense 4/10 (60% of max)

Our offense is under performing MUCH more than our defense. I blame PJ. Last season the same crap happened, and we blamed our players. I hope they go on to win the rest of the games so that we don't have to have this conversation.

I hope CPJ can figure out why defenses know our snap count better than our O-line. I hope he can figure out how to change the blocking scheme and playcalling to stop whatever MD discovered, because UVA did the same damn thing and we had no answer. Our second half performance in the past two games is very disturbing. We have to win the Miami game or else things may start to go into full meltdown mode and our whole season will be defined by the UGA game.

Good post.

Here is how I see our defense and offense personnel on a 10 point scale:

Defense ~ 5/10 (bad d-line 3/10, horrible LBs who can't even solo tackle 3/10, and a decent secondary 7/10)
Offensive ~ 7/10 (good backs 9/10, good WRs 9/10, meh OL 6/10, average QB 6/10)

Our play on the field in the past few games has been:
Defense 4.5/10 (90% of max)
Offense 4/10 (60% of max)

Our offense is under performing MUCH more than our defense. I blame PJ. Last season the same crap happened, and we blamed our players. I hope they go on to win the rest of the games so that we don't have to have this conversation.

I hope CPJ can figure out why defenses know our snap count better than our O-line. I hope he can figure out how to change the blocking scheme and playcalling to stop whatever MD discovered, because UVA did the same damn thing and we had no answer. Our second half performance in the past two games is very disturbing. We have to win the Miami game or else things may start to go into full meltdown mode and our whole season will be defined by the UGA game.

Offense - 'tight' playcalling, can't pass with teams playing EIGHT in the box=BIG problem. WR can't get open in single coverage. OL is young and will get better with this last class. One more year in the weight room and familiarity with each other will pay dividends! I suspect Vad Lee will start next year, not because Tevin is playing that bad but that Vad will simply be that much more dynamic and will simply be BETTER.

I don't know our winning % when scoring 14 points but it probably ain't pretty.

Defense - smaller AND unathletic DL = POOR!!! When these guys don't make ANY plays too much falls on our LB's. Missing Drummond and Attaochu hurt more yesterday than most realize. I LOVE Burnett but he gets lost in the size on zone blocking simple cut back runs. Quayshawn was 'lost'. Hopefully the FR LB's in the last class push for starting time next year....Hopefully Shawn Green has the offseason of the century! Peters and Walls are gone next year. Who starts? TJ Barnes NEEDS TO GO TO BOOT CAMP FOR PUSSIES!! WAKE THE F UP!!! YOU ARE 335+ LBS, TIME TO GROW UP!! Better get a BIG DL in this class or our pipeline at this position will be a liability for the next two to three seasons....Maybe we keep Kallon and he bulks up to 300 and is the animal this D needs?

Didn't see Sylvester, or the DL make ANY plays yesterday.

The defense is better than last year, but the offense is getting worse.

Special Teams - DISASTER!!! Blocked FG - on the kicker, Kick offs - JOKE, Punting - Bigger JOKE!!!

Miami, Clemson, VT and UGA will RUN OVER US WITH SIMPLE STRAIGHT AHEAD RUNNING PLAYS. Their OL's and skill position players will be the best we have played. This will eat the clock and keep our O off of the field. The play calling will get 'tight' and we will lose. What do the coaches do to change that?

Maybe home field advantage and 'emotion' will?

Back