Went to practice today--

Herr Goldshields

Varsity Lurker
It's hard to tell a lot without full contact, but I'll try to pass on a few observations. Henderson, Parker and Anoai are clearly physically apart from the others on the d-line. All 3 are so quick and agile in drills it is frightening. Adamm Oliver isn't far behind the 3 studs in terms of the same physically impressive qualities (excellent feet and agility), but when the scrimmage started, he got chewed pretty good by Coach Tenuta for something relating to the football side of things evidently.

The d-backs had their day today. Not that the QBs looked bad. They just didn't have anyone open much. With Houston, Scott and Davis, we are going to shut down a lot of teams' passing game!

Ball IMO is the clear #1 and Taylor Bennett impressed me 2nd most today at QB.

I don't know if George Cooper can block a lick, but none of the TEs out there are even close to him as an athlete and a pass catcher. Darrius Williams and Mike Matthews are both HUGE.

Calvin made some ridiculously sick catches scooping it off the ground today. Ditto everything everyone says about him. He is so big to be so agile and athletic. Levon Thomas really seemed to concentrating on catching the ball today, and looks very fluid. Dbo didn't have the best day. He dropped a couple, but kept getting back after it.

Chris Reis looked pretty solid in terms of the mental side at LB out there.

As for the youngs guys that stood out to me, Pat Clark is small but really seems to get good separation. When he gets open, he's like 10 yards open. Mike Cox has really nice hands and a pretty quick change of direction for a guy of his build.

The O-line was too far away most of the time for me to see, and I'm sure I didn't get to fully observe all the players. This is just the stuff that stood out to me.

Thanx for a good report Herr Goldshileds. Sounds like CJ is just going to be a monster at WR.

1) Were they running Cox mostly in single set?...or in the 2-back set was he the TB or FB?

2) I had heard that Bennett was reading the defense well and was tremendously accurate...what did you see?

3) Did Dunlap have any big catches today?

4) Any standout plays among Robertson, Hall, Chambers, or Wheeler?

1) I did not notice that Cox got in during the 11 on 11 at all, but he was catching passes in the same drill with TBs Rashaun Grant and Drew Gause.

2) I'm neither knowledgable nor observant enough to comment on Bennett's abilities to read the d, but he did seem to drop back briskly and get set up very nicely before throwing. Today was a bad day to judge accuracy since the d was absolutely smothering out there and, I assume, some passes were thrown away on purpose, but you could tell that Carter was totally off on some plays, whereas Bennett wasn't so much.

3) Dunlap had a big catch on a fade route in passing drills, but he pushed off. Both he and X had their moments, but they were working against I-P and Sam Williams alot and not against Reuben and Kenny as much.

4) I didn't see much of Robertson at all. Apparently he is still in the adjustment period to his new position. I thought K-Mike had a good day overall. Chambers needs some work and got chewed once or twice out there, but you can tell he really wants to hit somebody. Wheeler was getting a lot of time at the Will LB spot. He, Reis, Tugboat and K-Mike got the better of things in the passing game today. It was hard to tell about the running game because they couldn't really hit PJ yet.

Thank you for the answer and the update. Too bad it is a 5.5 hour drive to practice for me these days!

Back