We're #1 on Dinich's "Upset Watch" this week

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
:turbonoes:
1. Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech: Stat to know: Virginia Tech has won more ESPN Thursday night games (19) than any other ACC school. The Jackets are favored to win this game, as they should be, considering how poorly the Hokies played in their win over Marshall, but never count out Virginia Tech’s defense. The Hokies are No. 36 in the country in third-down conversion defense, which will make for an interesting matchup against a team that is No. 2 in the country on third downs, converting 66.7 percent of the time. The Hokies continue to struggle on offense, as quarterback Logan Thomas is No. 95 in the country in QBR, but Virginia Tech’s defense has proven good enough not only to keep it in games, but to win them, too. This is game has historically decided the division winner more often than not, and it’s the first ACC game of the year for Virginia Tech. Expect the Hokies to play to win.

Wow I can't imagine this being called an upset will go over well with Virginia Tech fans.

Hard to disagree with her in this case. I'm concerned about that D, and our return coverage really stinks. If this game were in Blacksburg, I would call it a toss-up personally. VPI usually gives us fits in the same way we do to UNC or Clemson.

Her last sentence is what really worries me. I imagine they came to lose against Marshall but won in spite of themselves.

Interesting - we're actually ranked ahead of them in 3rd down conversion defense. If you look at this from the three sides of the ball tho...

- GT Offense vs VT Defense
Both top-level units in the country

- GT Defense vs VT Offense
GT has gaudy stats but is probably an average-to-above-average unit. VTs offense has been horrid but has upside

- GT ST vs VT ST
GT actually has a big edge here - and comparison of stats despite varying schedules carries more weight in these categories...

Net Punting
GT: 41.43 (16th in country)
VT: 36.38 (75th)

Punt Returns
GT: 3.20 (108th)
VT: 7.06 (66th)

KO Coverage
GT: 23.00 (89th) (keep in mind we're getting TBs with Butker which aren't counted here)
VT: 24.75 (106th)

KO Returns
GT: 27.80 (14th)
VT: 17.77 (112th)

Kicking
I didn't check the stats, but neither is stellar. Their starter Journell missed 3 FGs (one negated for running into the kicker) against ECU and then was suspended for the Marshall game. His replacement went 0-3 against Marshall. Journell is back against us. Butker is 1-3 (one blocked) on the season with a huge leg. Still unproven though.

In other words our offensive matchup looks like a wash, our defense is probably better than their offense, our special teams is probably better than theirs, and we're at home. We should win this game.

All of this "it's their first division game, expect them to play to win, blah blah blah" is bull crap. It's also on the road, in a rowdy BDS on a Thursday with a lot of stuff happening at GT. It will not be easy for GT or them, but all that non-football stuff is a non-issue. What does it being their first ACC game have to do with anything? Other than it'll be their first ACC loss too.

Awesome. How many years in a row did she pick Duke to upset Tech only to be proven wrong each time?

Even a retarted defense comprised of a bunch of downies could stop the VPISU offense.

NOT TOO WORRIED

She is not logical at all. The post right below her "upset watch" has multiple mentions of GT possibly beating Clemson and ruining their chances of going undefeated. So in her view, we are good enough to be a significant threat to a very good Clemson team, but somehow in danger of getting upset at home by a mediocre VPI unit?

Jackets roll on Thursday night.

Expect the Hokies to play to win.

She read the TechSideline message board thread where they suggested VT should just concede this game and play the backups. Using her excellent ANALyst skillz, she deduced VT will actually try to win the game despite this recommendation.

She is not logical at all. The post right below her "upset watch" has multiple mentions of GT possibly beating Clemson and ruining their chances of going undefeated. So in her view, we are good enough to be a significant threat to a very good Clemson team, but somehow in danger of getting upset at home by a mediocre VPI unit?

Jackets roll on Thursday night.

You are not logical at all. I'm bout to blind you with science.

One, she is not saying there WILL be an upset. She is saying that they are "a guess as to which games in the conference MIGHT give us the biggest surprise." In other words, who does she think possible might yield an upset.

The games she didn't pick make this one seem like a good call. Clemson v. Wake, NC State Central Michigan, Duke v. Troy, FSU v. BC, and Miami v. USF all involve teams that don't have much of a shot at all of pulling an upset.

It's a little surprising to me that she didn't include uva v. Pitt, but then I realized nobody cares about the game. In that sense, it wouldn't be surprising who wins. Then again, maybe she thinks Pitt won't lose.

I digress, the point of the article is to drive viewers. She has to submit something every week. Most weeks there are only 2-4 choices. Even if the purple turkeys have a 30% chance of winning, that would be worth writing about if you were the espn writer assigned to cover the ACC.

Not gonna bother looking back but I'd imagine she probably picks us as the upset alert for VT every time we play and they're favored as well...

Back