We're at the crossroads of the Paul Johnson era

I have seen one great coach at GT in my lifetime (Coach Dodd was before my time). His predecessor (sp?) won 5 game games in his last year. This coach inherited that team/talent and won the NC in his 4th year. No excuses/alibis/et al. He just recruited well, coached well, lead well,hired good assistants and paid attention to all facets of the game (O,D,ST). It's not a mystery.It's been done before, here and at other schools. I don't think the answer is wearing a redshirt right now and/or on the scout team.

I have seen one great coach at GT in my lifetime (Coach Dodd was before my time). His predecessor (sp?) won 5 game games in his last year. This coach inherited that team/talent and won the NC in his 4th year. No excuses/alibis/et al. He just recruited well, coached well, lead well,hired good assistants and paid attention to all facets of the game (O,D,ST). It's not a mystery.It's been done before, here and at other schools. I don't think the answer is wearing a redshirt right now and/or on the scout team.

That possibility scares the hell out of me, B.

So... you guys are ok with finishing 7-5, and losing to UGA again if it means keeping Vad's redshirt intact? Or do you believe we can beat UGA with our team as is? If so, I'd love to hear what gameplan we could use to accomplish that.

Story time:
I was at the Duke game last season, and while that abortion of a game progressed, I had a sinking feeling. I seriously thought the gaggers would put a beat down on us. Like 51-7 bad. But Tevin came in and put up a pretty good offensive game in the cesspool for a backup.
Point being, things look bad right now, but the season is far from over. Uga may be playing LSU/Bama the week after us, and we will likely be done until bowl time after playing them and get them at home. Don't give up yet brother. Their defense couldn't stop Tevin last season.

As far as beating Uga and winning more than 7 games...In my uninformed opinion:
I think we need to see some more Synjin from time to time. Tevin gets flustered and with the way our OL has been blocking, we may need a bruiser in there just to help move the chains.
A fumble on a 20 yard run by Synjin would probably be better than an 18 yard punt.
We also need to get orwin 15-20 touches a game. KR, PR, passes, designed runs, screens. He is our best offensive player. Get him the damn ball!

Story time:
I was at the Duke game last season, and while that abortion of a game progressed, I had a sinking feeling. I seriously thought the gaggers would put a beat down on us. Like 51-7 bad. But Tevin came in and put up a pretty good offensive game in the cesspool for a backup.
Point being, things look bad right now, but the season is far from over. Uga may be playing LSU/Bama the week after us, and we will likely be done until bowl time after playing them and get them at home. Don't give up yet brother. Their defense couldn't stop Tevin last season.

This forum needs more of this. +1

Based on the teams upcoming on our schedule, and the last 3 and a half games we've played, on what basis are you hoping for this?

Basis? Not sure I understand what you are asking. The offense has played well at times this season. Of course the level of competition was much lower in the cupcake games. However, the offense is capable of executing. The nail in the coffin with this team is not necessarily the QB but is actually Special Teams.

This is college football....18-21 year olds are a bit unpredictable. We won't know until we play the games.

Story time:

As far as beating Uga and winning more than 7 games...In my uninformed opinion:
I think we need to see some more Synjin from time to time. Tevin gets flustered and with the way our OL has been blocking, we may need a bruiser in there just to help move the chains.
A fumble on a 20 yard run by Synjin would probably be better than an 18 yard punt.
We also need to get orwin 15-20 touches a game. KR, PR, passes, designed runs, screens. He is our best offensive player. Get him the damn ball!

Good post Bandit. FWIW, I agree that the game with the pups won't be a blow-out. If you look at the last decade plus, 51-7 was an outlier. These games, like most all rivalry games, are hard-fought, gut-wrenching games that are won in the trenches by pure will. And that is exactly what has me so doubtful about our chances.

Basis? Not sure I understand what you are asking. The offense has played well at times this season. Of course the level of competition was much lower in the cupcake games. However, the offense is capable of executing. The nail in the coffin with this team is not necessarily the QB but is actually Special Teams.

This is college football....18-21 year olds are a bit unpredictable. We won't know until we play the games.

Is the offense capable of executing? Most certainly... I mentioned that in my original post and said that I still don't think we are very far away. But you have to have a playmaking QB, and we don't have anything close to that right now, nor is it likely that Tevin will revert to the form of the first four games games against Clemson, VT, UGA.

And we're gonna have to disagree that the ST is the nail in the coffin. We knew before the season started that, like the previous seasons, ST was going to be a liability. No one was going to be shocked that they were bad... maybe by just how bad we actually are, but we were expecting to be un-good. The nail in the coffin for this team, and all of PJ's teams so far is when the offense can't support the defense and ST.

Paul Johnson may be a stubborn man, but he is not a stupid man. If he thought Vad Lee was his best chance to get him to 9 wins and/or a win over UGA, he would play him. He knows 7-5 or 6-6 is going to mean another long off season and that he and his staff will have lost much of the goodwill earned in the first two years. If Vad does not play, it will be because CPJ believes Vad is not at this point a better option at QB.

Diseqc;921712} I don't get the love affair with Vad. He's shown nothing so far and won't until next year. It's all speculation at this point.[/QUOTE said:
I saw more promise from Vad at the summer scrimmages than any other QB

I saw more promise from Vad at the summer scrimmages than any other QB

You must not have gone to the same scrimmages I saw. I saw Vad throwing pics, dropping snaps, and having major problems running the offense consistently. You know, typical freshman stuff. If I recall correctly, Vad's unit scored 1 TD in 2 scrimmages. Against our 2s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Vad won't be good - but it will be 2 years from now until he is. All of you idiots saying Vad this, Vad that - we'd be lucky to be 4-4 if Vad had started all year.

The season isn't over. We're 6-2. Still got a lot to play for. Yes, the last two games were disheartening BUT let's not hate our team like the OP does. I'm not going to turn on our QB after he wins 75% of his games to start the year. I'm not going to turn on our coach when we've got only two losses. That's what mutts do.

Paul Johnson may be a stubborn man, but he is not a stupid man. If he thought Vad Lee was his best chance to get him to 9 wins and/or a win over UGA, he would play him. He knows 7-5 or 6-6 is going to mean another long off season and that he and his staff will have lost much of the goodwill earned in the first two years. If Vad does not play, it will be because CPJ believes Vad is not at this point a better option at QB.

What is there about this that folks just don't understand?

You must not have gone to the same scrimmages I saw. I saw Vad throwing pics, dropping snaps, and having major problems running the offense consistently. You know, typical freshman stuff. If I recall correctly, Vad's unit scored 1 TD in 2 scrimmages. Against our 2s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Vad won't be good - but it will be 2 years from now until he is. All of you idiots saying Vad this, Vad that - we'd be lucky to be 4-4 if Vad had started all year.

The season isn't over. We're 6-2. Still got a lot to play for. Yes, the last two games were disheartening BUT let's not hate our team like the OP does. I'm not going to turn on our QB after he wins 75% of his games to start the year. I'm not going to turn on our coach when we've got only two losses. That's what mutts do.

They are reading press clippings and have dreams of Vad being a 4 time Heisman Trophy winner. For those that don't think that the coaching staff puts the players on the field that they think gives them the best opportunity to win NOW need to go back to fantasy island.

It definitely looks like there is something on offense that needs to be fixed or adjusted, and it might be too big to adjust within the season. Everything I've seen out of CPJ makes me think he'll make the changes he needs to make.

I've seen recruiting mentioned a couple of times. We're recruiting just as well now as we have over the past 20 years. A little better, actually. Saying that Chan was a master recruiter just isn't true.

On another topic, I heard 30 seconds of Beau Bock saying Tech needs to go back to a pro-style "big college" offense, but that was idiotic. We're doing more with this offense than we did under a pro-style. Throwing bad passes is just as bad in a pro-style offense as in this one. I can believe that we need to throw more and better, but I don't see why you'd change the scheme to do it.

It cracks me up the certainty with which most of the people here think Vad is going to be an All-Star. This from people who obviously don't get to watch him in practice, and don't appear to be experts in the execution of our offense or the techniques associated with its positions.

Didn't a lot of people think Days would blow Tevin out of the water this year? Didn't most people think Godsey would never see the field?

I hope every player is an all-star, but there's a lot of counting our chickens before they hatch on here...

I hope every player is an all-star, but there's a lot of counting our bald f*%^ing eagles after they've snatched a 50 lb salmon from the nearby river on here...

fyfy to accurately reflect the assessments of who/what Vad Lee is and does.

haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

Back