We're taking zero OL this year?

thwg

Damn Good Rat
CGC and CBK are flying around Atlanta now recruiting the best OL in GA. The 2019 season OL is a concern for sure but there are bright days ahead.

Key has a cool pic of the ATL in twitter before sunrise but I can’t figure out how to paste it from my phone without akin calling me a fool.

rocky top buzz

Varsity Lurker
Only 5 lineman can play at time. 15 will be enough and let’s stop pigeon-holing these Olineman. They are more than just option lineman and their offers to other schools speak to that.
Of the current offensive lineman on schooly, who was the highest rated and who was GT competing with for them?

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Only 5 lineman can play at time. 15 will be enough and let’s stop pigeon-holing these Olineman. They are more than just option lineman and their offers to other schools speak to that.
Do you happen to know how many of those 15 will be graduating after next year? I agree that I think our current OL can step up to the challenge of a new scheme (especially given the rep the OL coach has on here), but I'm more wondering about roster numbers being funky going forward for a bit.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
I don't see your logic. 100% of the current o-line are in the same boat transitioning to a non-option offense. Someone is going to have to play on the line. Freshman who haven't spent 1+ years running the option seem easier to mold.
The logic is there's no reason to throw good money after bad.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
I credit the staff for not settling for OL they weren't excited about just to get a warm body on the roster. I'm referring to a commit who we didn't follow up with.

That tells me this staff is not playing CYA - they are going for broke or to paraphrase our new OL coach, 'he didn't come all this way to play small ball'.

Its a ballsy strategy and I, for one, applaud it.
We need help at several position, so you are correct, we can't take a player just to take a player. Every scholarship has to be a money lick for the next several years.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
We took a grad transfer and offered someone, too, but didn't get any traction with him, it seems. Some of the guys we have could step up in a different scheme. DeFoor, in particular, should get more of an opportunity.

The pickings were slim for OL this late in the game. We have enough bodies so we don't necessarily need more depth at this time. Why would we take someone who isn't better than who we have?

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
just FYI, there are only 24 OL rated 3-stars or better that did not sign in December in the entire country.

there are a couple that are interesting like Fred Norman, who is from Rossville and is 6-7 300 but his offers are on the App St and Marshall level. But obviously, we don't know why that is...

Last edited:

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Word.

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
Seems to me that we might be able to make our new OG positions work with the OLs already here, but need entirely different type OL for new OT positions. Center is an open question in my mind for new offense as to whether we can use existing OLs or need a new OL at center. I'm sure spg practice will give a lot of answers.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
If our coaches thought the 2 OL that were offered by the previous staff, but did not sign in Dec, were worth the ship they would have followed up with them with great vigor.

CGC & CBK would have honored the ships, but obviously saw the need to focus elsewhere.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
If we didn’t hire Brent Key I’d be more concerned. His name alone will get us some stud O Line prospects.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Richie Petitbon is an OL grad transferring from Alabama. Is there any chance we could get him?

18in32

Petard Hoister
Get ready for smashmouth football. No more blocking phantoms and diving on the ground. We'll see what we've got available soon enough and go from there.
It's weird to say we weren't playing smashmouth football under CPJ. Linemen were attacking on every snap, instead of waiting to get hit.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
It's weird to say we weren't playing smashmouth football under CPJ. Linemen were attacking on every snap, instead of waiting to get hit.
Yeah, opposing teams said our line was very physical. I am glad we are moving away from the option and Key is a million times better than Sewak, but it wasn't all ankle-diving. Braun, in particular, was known as a very heavy hitter.