Were the critics of the T.O. right?

it was purely brutal last night to watch guys time after time dive at the feet of a defender only to have the defender pull an mma type move and sprawl back avoiding the block entirely....... our guy out of the play, their guy making the tackle... Allen was especially proficient at throwing himself on the ground

People always say that if the defense keeps their assignments they can stop us, but that is crap. If we make our blocking assignments, nobody can stop us. We haven't blocked properly since the 2nd half of the UGA game. The question is why, and I don't know the answer.

People always say that if the defense keeps their assignments they can stop us, but that is crap. If we make our blocking assignments, nobody can stop us. We haven't blocked properly since the 2nd half of the UGA game. The question is why, and I don't know the answer.

+1
So true.

Coach may want to get some of the players up to speed on the basics.

On that Roddy play, Bay-Bay also flat out missed his block on the LB. It looked like AA was not sure whether to get the linebacker or the DB. If AA makes his block, and #8 gets his, it's a big gain.

I don't know, but maybe we need to go back to Roddy and Luke Cox starting.

I agree that we need Roddy and Cox starting. Marcus Wright is the only other player who can block consistently.

The biggest difference between this year and last year is the number of negative yardage RUNNING plays on first down. That's a hole we can't fight out of. The dive has to get to the line of scrimmage at worst. Guys like Allen whiffing as a lead blocker on pitch plays don't just get us a 5 yard loss, they almost get Roddy Jones killed!

It seems that the TO, more than other offenses, depends on the trenches and on blocking. Pro offenses seem to have a way to scheme around bad blocking with screens and passes to the flats while the TO looks dead in the water. They crash the dive and then give Nesbitt no time to run, pitch or throw the ball, what are we supposed to do?

It seems that the TO, more than other offenses, depends on the trenches and on blocking. Pro offenses seem to have a way to scheme around bad blocking with screens and passes to the flats while the TO looks dead in the water. They crash the dive and then give Nesbitt no time to run, pitch or throw the ball, what are we supposed to do?

That's a really good point. I never thought of it that way. I don't know how you scheme around a bad O-line in our type of offense. CPJ is the option master. Hopefully he can scheme something up.

The triple option is simply a play that is used in Johnson's offense (granted, a lot), but the offense is by no means limited to the triple option. Those same screems and passes to the flats you mention can be run just the same out of the flexbone formation as they can in any other formation. CPJ has said himself that they can run anything that an I-formation team can simply by motioning the A-back behind the B-back to form the "I". It's all in there, you just haven't seen much of it yet. Maybe you will down the line.

We weren't running the TO. That was the prob-lem. That and a lack of a defensive scheme besides showing up like a high school team.

"HOO HOO! LET'S JUMP AROUND LET'S JUMP AROUND!" Yeah. Sure.

I agree that execution is the #1 issue. However, is anyone else noticing that all of the teams we've faced this year have often just had more bodies at the POA than we've had?

Maybe it just seems that way since our guys are lying on the ground and theirs are making plays. If true, this tells me they are not respecting the pass. IMO, right behind execution is the passing game. We've got to make them pay for throwing 9 guys at the LOS.

Would it be fair to offer that execution and coaching are intimately and exquisitely connected?

Would it be fair to offer that execution and coaching are intimately and exquisitely connected?

No.

It's like the 'madden' theory that the Coach shouldn't have made the QB throw the ball downfield into triple coverage. The coach may call a play and say we want to throw it downfield, but when the game is played, the coach doesn't get to play it. If the QB throws it away or runs out of bounds or throws to the short man cause the deep man is covered, that's his decision not the coach's.

Same in that the coach can say block this man. Don't miss this block. But when all is said and done, it's AA's decision to dive at the feet of the guy he's trying to block instead of CPJ's.

Now where they ARE tied together is that if a player doesn't execute to the Coach's liking and he still leaves them in, then that is his fault.

It would be fair, but talent must also be factored in, you know the silk purse/sows ear thingy.

When three future first round choice multi millionaires (1,21,91) are ALL playing out of sorts, sumthin else is going on. Is it even remotely possible they were tired? I mean wheezing in the first half is very odd for players at their level.

We are getting ****ty blocking out of the g-c-g. Our a-backs are probably getting half as many blocks as they should. I think it is time to move Cox back into the starting lineup. Sure, he isn't going to break a huge gain, but he will spring the other guy better than anyone esle we have.

OTOH, when Cox was at BB, the defense didn't crash the dive like the do with Dwyer. That might be a way to open up the BB for 4-5 yards on first down.

I saw a tackle last night that on pass plays didn't block the DE once. Tech eventually just gave up and told Cox to block. A FB blocking over an OT?

No way outta that lsj. Maybe punt on 2nd and/or 3rd down until they drop one deep!?

TO would work if we had better overall athletes and DC. The ones we have now are good enough for 9-3 seasons and that's fine with me to be honest, but it would never be enough for many.

Back