Wes Durham - Al Ciraldo

I am mystified by this remark.

Never mind, "balls on the 40," right, ArchiTECH?

I like you and I think we could be special friends.

On the topic, here are three Al Ciraldo ones I remember;

"He's back, he pumps, he passes - he passes again."

and,

"It's a long, high kick - hits on the 40."

and,

"Little Brent Cunningham, scoots around end."

Al was a terrible announcer and I absolutely loved him dearly for it and will fight to the death any woman who says otherwise.

love,
ArchiTECH

Jack Hurst could make the hair on your neck stand up, he had some great catch phrases. Al (god love 'em) was the best reason there was to attend the games in person. If it wasn't for (the young left hander) who would always say after a play that Al got wrong, "now Al, what really happened there" you never knew what was really going on.I really like Wes because he has a ton of information off the top of his head. I do wish he would be a little more of a homer though. Do any of you old timers remember back during the Curry era when Skip Carey replaced Al? Skip was very professional but no passion in his play by play.

Believe it was during the Fulcher era and it was, oh God, Milo Hamilton.

Maybe already posted by now.

Many posts in this thread I could second. I'll just add my two cents and say that I can't imagine anything better than to have Al calling a game again this fall. I'm the kind of guy who listens to Wes even when I'm sitting in a bar with friends watching the game, so you know I value him... But the voice of Al Ciraldo is burned in my memory as meaning "Georgia Tech" in a way nothing else is. Part of it I think was how distinctive it was: nasal and high-pitched, he sounded like a radio man from a different generation. It sounded like he was wearing a boater and cellulose collar. Just takes me back to my youth, and the heroes and dreams of youth, to hear that voice. Don't know if Wes can be that Voice for kids today.

Both are great announcers. Al was very distinctive - great voice, wonderful phrases unique to him, painted a great picture with his words. He was on the radio at a time when few Tech games were on TV - so he really was great at calling the game and you could close your eyes and envision what was going on.

Wes is more articulate and accurate - a true professional. He realizes almost all of the games are on TV and many of the listeners are watching the video as he provides their audio. Brings great excitement to the game. Glad he is our voice and hope he will be for years to come.

77 speaks for me perfectly

Hearing Al's distinctive voice and the excitement he transmitted made you feel like either Grant Field or Alexander Memorial Coliseum was the center of the universe and that you were missing something by not being there.

I recall seeing him receive an honorary Tech letter jacket, I believe during the Curry era, on the field either during pregame or halftime. Tears were running down his face putting on the gold jacket.

Apples and Oranges if you ask me.

Al Ciraldo was a better game announcer because of his long experience doing radio broadcasts - he had to paint the picture for everyone and communicate the situation of where the runner was, where he was heading, and describing the play as it unfolded. Wes doesn't do this because he's of the TV era and trying to paint a picture isn't part of what he has to do in the booth. He doesn't describe the action like Al did. Less is more nowadays and let the visual do the talking. Wes is better with facts, Al was better with catch phrases.

The team of Al and Kim King is the best I've ever heard.

BTW, Al didn't invent the "Bunny shot", that was used on playgrounds at least as far back as the early 60s in central Ohio.

Back