Wes Durham

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I believe that Wes is one of the best play callers in college football, certainly better than Munsen as he is now at UGAg. Does anybody think that he will become the legends that Ciraldo or Munsen are in our state? I used to love listening to Ciraldo and the "fine young lefthander". I think Wes has carried the torch well.

JJ, he is good, but will he stay when his Dad retires at North Carolina? I think one of the best announcers we have had at Tech was the one announcing basketball, but is now with ESPN. I can't remember his name though.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I think one of the best announcers we have had at Tech was the one announcing basketball, but is now with ESPN. I can't remember his name though.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I beelieve you're talking about Brad Nessler.

Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I think one of the best announcers we have had at Tech was the one announcing basketball, but is now with ESPN. I can't remember his name though.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I beelieve you're talking about Brad Nessler.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yep, and he coined the phrase "Thriller Dome".

here is is bio:

Brad Nessler

Ciraldo's specialty was basketball. There has never been a better BBplay-by-play man than Al. Wes is already as good in football as Al ever was. Munsun was a pretty good BB play-by-play man at Vandy, but he has become a ridiculous parody of himself at uga. Among my all-time favorites have been: Caywood Ledford,KY-BB; John Woods,Tn-FB; John Ferguson,LSU-FB.

I'm no Auburn fan, but I used to enjoy listening to Jim Fyffe who recently passed away. Fyffe, the former UT guy, and Munson are my favorite SEC play-by-play guys.

Wes does a great job for us and Gene Deckerhoff at FSU isn't bad either.

Have to give props to Wes and Wes & Kim during FB season. Being an oot (out of towner) I have to rely on internet broadcasts (more often than I'd like) and it's great to get the broadcasts and hear Wes. He can stay as long as likes AFAIC but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at UNC if his Dad ever hangs it up. I'm sure UNC would go after him.

Heard Wes & his dad on one of the sports talk shows a couple months ago.. Eerie how similar their voices are.. Hope Wes retires here, what a great announcer...

The real question IMO is the relationship between Wes, UNC and the people doing the UNC broadcasts (used to be Village Co., not sure anymore). There are other guys working with Woody now who probably expect to step up when he steps down. No way Wes would go in as the second man in the booth. Also don't know that UNC fans would necessarily want Wes since they have become familiar with the other guys on the broadcasts.

"Munson" and "play by play" don't go together. His game call is horrible. His flowery stuff is what people like. I have no stomach for it.

Techsta, you better watch out! Those dog fans will crush your face with a hob nailed boot.... or something.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
What makes everyone think he would go to UNC just because his Dad's there? Atlanta, and all it offers, would be ten times better than Carolina.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BDG: I agree - I don't think he takes over for his dad. Atlanta has much more to offer and I believe he is a dedicated Tech announcer. I'd be very surprised if he left for UNC or anywhere else.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I'd be very surprised if he left for UNC or anywhere else.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's what they were saying in Nashville as he was packing his bags for Atlanta. Wes was, and still is, very popular in Nashville still routinely guesting on the local sports call-in shows (which I listen to everyday). Another former Vandy announcer that still gets cred up here - Larry Munson. I hope he doesn't leave either but he doesn't impress me as someone that bleeds white and gold. Great guy though!

Gnats: Nashville to Atlanta is a few steps up - location wise. I don't see Atlanta to Chapel Hill that way. If location is a determining factor Atlanta wins hands down.

I have heard Wes several times say that he is just like everyone else in the sense that he will have a job that is best for he and his family.
Therefore, it is a given that if something he deemed better, he would be gone. However, with any "ties", I think stability for he and his family will prevail.

Believe me folks, Atlanta is definitely a step up from Nashville
pat.gif
but Carolina is home for WD and that bears a strong influence.

What makes everyone think he would go to UNC just because his Dad's there? Atlanta, and all it offers, would be ten times better than Carolina.
BOO

BDG, I'm on the same page as you. UNC Hoops coach and UNC commentator don't carry the same weight. I'm not sure why he would even consider it.

I think Wes does a pretty good job of balancing being a homer and a commentator on both Football and Basketball.

Just gotta love when he gets wound up on a long break-away run or deep pass
JJ

"When mama calls"...........it will be
very hard for Wes to turn down a chance
to go back home.

I would like to think that Wes would stay
with us forever, but my gut feeling tells
me that when his dad steps down, UNC will
waste no time in acquiring his services.

I also agree that the legendary Al Cilrado
was the greatest basketball announcer I have
ever heard.

Back