We've been here before. Can we handle it?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
We've been 3-0 before. We have also face-planted after promising starts before.

We are one of the youngest teams in the country and with youth comes inconsistency. Kansas tested us for a half - maybe that'll count for something. Maybe our guys think we can just 'turn it on' and blow any game wide open at any time. I hope this attitude is being kept in check by the coaches and by the more mature members of our team who have been there before.

One thing I like about this team is that they are starting to mirror the disposition of our coach - a very good thing - aggressive, loose, swagger, not afraid to put a cleat in the other team's throat.

I am very curious to see how the first half of UNC goes. They have some monsters on D and might seriously disrupt our offense or at least slow us down a bit. I know we can beat UNC but I will be keeping a watchful eye on the attitude of the team to gauge whether or not they have what it takes to meet increasingly difficult challenges as the season progresses.

Good question -- hope the allergy to success that has been a problem the last few years is gone!

I don't think this team has much in common with last year's team, let alone with any of Chan's teams.

I'm sure I don't know either. But having said that, I'm curious to see how we respond when we have to on both sides of the ball. Maybe we saw a little of that in the early going with Kansas. We are yet to play a game where we have to bring up the intensity level to win. That may be coming Saturday.

We haven't been 3-0 since 2004, right?

Didn't I see last 4-0 was 1990 or was that last 5-0?

I think we stay focused. The main reason we are doing so well IMO is the lack of bullets to the foot. Low penalties, great execution, calmness by TW. No matter the level of competition, biggest difference in this team is focus.

Did you hear Orwin's interview after the game? He was already talking about UNC. This team knows how to focus on the week ahead. This is a much different team from what I can see.

Team seems focused, let's hope they can stay that way.

I would love nothing more than to see this team prove without a doubt that last year was a product of Chan's final players clashing with PJ's new guys.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I always feel like we have a top-25 jinx. One week in the rankings and then a let down. It would be nice to keep the fire going. I expect some losses down the road, but this team seems capable of winning 3 or 4 more before the schedule gets tough.

One game at a time men and we will be okay.Most of us know that UNC is our first real test.Win it and we should move up a notch or two and to be honest dont see that many teams left that can handle us.Yes we play some good ones but we should at least be even or better with them if we play at home.

I hope we can handle it...in the past our MO was to break into the top 20 and then lay an egg. This would make it even harder to climb back into the rankings later in the year.
I think we can lose to every team on our schedule if we turn the ball over. It's simple as that.
But we can win them all if we dont get drive killing penalties and protect the football.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I always feel like we have a top-25 jinx. One week in the rankings and then a let down. It would be nice to keep the fire going. I expect some losses down the road, but this team seems capable of winning 3 or 4 more before the schedule gets tough.

I hope we can handle it...in the past our MO was to break into the top 20 and then lay an egg. This would make it even harder to climb back into the rankings later in the year.
I think we can lose to every team on our schedule if we turn the ball over. It's simple as that.
But we can win them all if we dont get drive killing penalties and protect the football.
This is the allergy to success I was talking about -- hoping we have acquired immunity! :biggthumpup:

We've been 3-0 before. We have also face-planted after promising starts before.

We are one of the youngest teams in the country and with youth comes inconsistency. Kansas tested us for a half - maybe that'll count for something. Maybe our guys think we can just 'turn it on' and blow any game wide open at any time. I hope this attitude is being kept in check by the coaches and by the more mature members of our team who have been there before.

One thing I like about this team is that they are starting to mirror the disposition of our coach - a very good thing - aggressive, loose, swagger, not afraid to put a cleat in the other team's throat.

I am very curious to see how the first half of UNC goes. They have some monsters on D and might seriously disrupt our offense or at least slow us down a bit. I know we can beat UNC but I will be keeping a watchful eye on the attitude of the team to gauge whether or not they have what it takes to meet increasingly difficult challenges as the season progresses.

You're the kind of person who wants to know when, where, and how you're going to die aren't you? You can't just enjoy the fact we are 3-0, with a chance of going 4-0, but instead you have us at 3-1.

Our boys have been anything but cocky, mainly because they know that Paul won't be satisfied until we get that win in the Orange Bowl (following an undefeated season and an ACC Division and Conference Title).

The only thing that really worries me is our passing defense. However, our offense is running so well that as long as our defense can stop them a few times (which they've been able to do), we will out score every opponent. UNCs defense let UVA score 17, a team who barely beat Indiana. And UNC only scored 28 on the same team Indiana scored 31 on. Indiana is last in the Big Ten and lost to Ball State.

Come on guys.

One game at a time men and we will be okay.Most of us know that UNC is our first real test.Win it and we should move up a notch or two and to be honest dont see that many teams left that can handle us.Yes we play some good ones but we should at least be even or better with them if we play at home.
Carolina has a good team. This will not be easy. They are, as always, big and tough on defense. Great defensive ends, big and physical linebackers. We are going to have to block those guys and give Tevin a chance to get to the perimeter or it will be a long afternoon.

North Carolina probably has athletes that rank up there with VT, Clemson, and FSU. they scare me like the fore mentioned teams.

I think Burdell's got some salient questions. Questions I'm curious about as well. I think our schedule is very favorable this year for building to larger challenges.

...has seen Tech go through this kind of thing many times before.

Yeah no kidding.

Back