"We've got a coupla of committs from Ga players"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
"We\'ve got a coupla of committs from Ga players"

says Coach Gailey on his radio show. We know we have Wheeler. Who is the other one?
Although Chan said "we are recruiting Ga players" why do we only have 1 public &, evidently, only 1 nonpublic? Ga players have been committing left & right. UGa has 15 committs from Ga already.

Re: "We\'ve got a coupla of committs from Ga players"

This has been a frequent source of discusion on the board. I believe that we aren't doing a very good job in GA and we have raised our academic standards (which would make Braine and our president liars)and we aren't recruiting as many players in state as we typically do.

I don't think we have raised standards per se, that is we haven't set a hard minimum SAT or anything like that. But I do think Gailey has been told the kids he brings in had better be able to do the classroom work. If that's raising the standards it's a sad state of affairs IMO.

That is good if we have some commitments. We have always had a policy that our recruits must qualify meet the minimum SAT and gradepoint as set by the NCAA. You will find that most SEC schools will recruit non qualifiers. I do not think we have changed our policy just that it is taking Gailey a while IMHO too long to set up his Georgia recruiting network.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
I don't think we have raised standards per se, that is we haven't set a hard minimum SAT or anything like that. But I do think Gailey has been told the kids he brings in had better be able to do the classroom work. If that's raising the standards it's a sad state of affairs IMO.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The problem is knowing which of the kids with maginal high school academic credentials can do the work. Many have worked out for us and some have not but it is very difficult to tell based on standerdized test scores. It seems like this staff, with the guidence of the Hill, aren't taking as many chances. I hope I am wrong but I am worried that the 'sad state of affairs' will be our talent level in a few years.

Question on the hive it is reported that we have offered mike heard the kid from lovejoy and that he and choice would be going to the same school which would more than likely be (GT). GTT or MASTER B can you tell me if this is true? I'm going to see LOVEJOY play WESTSIDE OF MACON friday and I JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW MANY FUTURE JACKETS I MIGHT BE LOOKING AT.

We should be able to accept any SA's from this state that ugag can, or we should stop taking money from the taxpayers of this state and become a private school like puke u, vandy, or miami.

texstinger, we should accept any kid from Ga who can 1) help us on the football field, 2) do the work in the classroom, and 3) actually wants to come here and major in something we have to offer. Taxpayers of Ga have nothing to do with any of those three that I can see. And what Ga thinks about their ability to handle #2 has nothing to do with anything either.

The taxpayers of Georgia, including me, have a football factory already, UGAG. If Adams wants to make it into UVa South, that's fine with me.

Meanwhile, as a Georgia taxpayer, I want to KEEP Tech like it is academically, and let other schools keep on trying to be Georgia Tech North, Georgia Tech West, Georgia Tech Europe and whatever. Hell, Alabama can have a hot football team. What we can have is superb world center of learning, AND a hot football team by doing just what we're doing.

There was a story recently by Brian Murphy of The Macon Telegraph And News on Tech's recruiting and he quoted Gailey as saying that the rumor about the 950 SAT was totally untrue. Gailey went on and said that there were many variables that he would have to factor in but the standards had not changed at all. He also said that he would know
which recruits to take a chance on as opposed to the ones to drop. He was very emphatic about there
was no changes in the qualifying standards at TECH.

So, nobody knows who the 2nd committment from Ga is?
RB Tashard Choice, LB Mike Heard & CB Derae Allen are all from Lovejoy & all are being recruited heavily by div 1a schools.
Another good threesome are S Avery Roberson (who we really want), as well as CB Jeramie Johnson & LB Jarvious Jackson(who may not be qualified yet). These 3 attend Washington HS in Atlanta & are also being heavily recruited in Div 1a.

NCJ, as to #1, obviously if we are recruiting him we think he will help us on the field, #2 if we are recruiting him we think he can do the class work and GT needs to accomodate the needs of the taxpayers children in this state more than we need to accomodate the needs of students from other states and the other COUNTRIES that compromise 17% of our student body. And #3, you said something as to the taxpayers not having anything to do with the courses or majors we offer? So they just need to give us their tax dollars and keep their mouths shut about what we do with it, whether or not it is used to help their children or someone from Korea or whereever? Sounds elitist to me good sir, I'm sorry. Bellyseries, the state already has a football factory? What are you talkin about? Who said anything about that. I have yet to get a reasonable answer as to why we should continue to take taxpayers money, then tell the majority of the people in this state that their children are too stupid and not good enough for us while 17% of the student body is from overseas. This school is first and foremost for the people of Georgia, or we should go private.

Originally posted by texstinger:
Sounds elitist to me good sir, I'm sorry. Bellyseries, the state already has a football factory? What are you talkin about? Who said anything about that. I have yet to get a reasonable answer as to why we should continue to take taxpayers money, then tell the majority of the people in this state that their children are too stupid and not good enough for us while 17% of the student body is from overseas. This school is first and foremost for the people of Georgia, or we should go private.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well you can call it elitist or you can say the cream rises to the top or you can say that some students are more blessed than others or whatever you like, but there are differences among people and their brains. It seems to have worked very well to have different schools for different levels of capability, and different educational goals. Everybody thinks I'm such a big liberal, but good grief, there are plenty of Georgia kids who are "too stupid", (your phrase) to go to Tech and succeed. The school would either have to modify its mission radically, or flunkout huge numbers of students. Besides you'll never catch me equating intelligence with "goodness".

Meanwhile there are many advantages to Georgia and us taxpayers to have an internationally respected school.

Uga has much broader schools of study than GT. There are so many liberal arts degrees at UGA that allow them to recruit players that we can not. Need to recruit players that want degrees from GT and can handle the work. Selling that is key in recruiting in my opinion. Big difference in even being a management student at GT and being in "general studies", comparative literature, classics, art, insurance (risk management), real estate, and just about anything you can think of at UGA.

I don't believe for one second that everyone UGA can recruit we can as well.

Originally posted by tommie:
Question on the hive it is reported that we have offered mike heard the kid from lovejoy and that he and choice would be going to the same school which would more than likely be (GT). GTT or MASTER B can you tell me if this is true? I'm going to see LOVEJOY play WESTSIDE OF MACON friday and I JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW MANY FUTURE JACKETS I MIGHT BE LOOKING AT.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">tommie, MasterB can answer this a lot better than I can. Do know we are recruiting Heard and Choice and reports are we've offered. They are not the only ones we are recruiting from there. Not sure who the others are or if we have offered.

Looking forward to a report on this game. ;-)

Belly, I would just say that a internationally respected school and a nationally respected FB team with a lot of players from this state are not mutually exclusive.

Absolutely, texstinger! Look at Stanford, for instance. They are known and respected internationally and yet they have won the Sears trophy a number of times.

Whoever said we cannot have both is a true nerd!!

Originally posted by bizzybee:
Absolutely, texstinger! Look at Stanford, for instance. They are known and respected internationally and yet they have won the Sears trophy a number of times.

Whoever said we cannot have both is a true nerd!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We are not talking about womens water polo, we are talking about Div 1 football. Stanford has NEVER been a consistent winner in Div 1 football despite having several good coaches (Dennis Green and Bill Walsh to name a few). John Elway never even made a bowl game at Stanford.

Back