We've regressed under CPJ for the first time today...

Nawaab

Dodd-Like
Interesting dynamic added to the season now. We've been building and building since 2008 without any real regression yet. Sure, we had the disappointing losses to UGA and Iowa last year, but while those sucked, they didn't really hold us back as we still won the ACC and played in a BCS bowl.

Well that ended today. We're 2 games into the season, and GT has yet to play a crisp quarter of football. It's like we've got a hangover from last season. It's on the players to break out of it. They gotta play with hunger and smarts, neither of which have been apparent yet.

Of course, in-game coaching has left a lot to be desired. Something is just not right in the offense. It's like we've got a Ferarri with the handling of a Datsun. Something feels off. Maybe there is some minor adjustment needed for this offense for major college football level that Paul Johnson hasn't figured out. If I had to take a guess, it's a problem with the A-Backs and what type of athletes we have there and how we are using them. We can't stretch the field vertically at all with them, and that is making it easier to cover us, and even more so with an inaccurate quarterback who can't make the defense pay for one-one coverage with the wide receivers.

So we can easily shake this off and still win the ACC (which is an embarrassment of a conference right now), or we can end up with 4 of 5 losses just as easily, too. This season just became morbidly fascinating.

I disagree with about everything you said. We didn't play crisp in the first two games last or the year before. We have had worse losses too. UVA in 08 comes to mind because that was a game we should have win and it was a conference game.

Do you not remember last year at all? Offense sucked the first three games.

Do you not remember last year at all? Offense sucked the first three games.

I agree...Do any of you guys think that our problems on offense when we're playing teams that have a week to prepare is more of an execution problem with us moreso than the other team having more time? Because it does seem that it takes a couple games to begin every season to get going and after our bye week it almost always takes us a half before we start clicking on offense.(orange bowl, uga..etc)

I agree...Do any of you guys think that our problems on offense when we're playing teams that have a week to prepare is more of an execution problem with us moreso than the other team having more time? Because it does seem that it takes a couple games to begin every season to get going and after our bye week it almost always takes us a half before we start clicking on offense.(orange bowl, uga..etc)

I have always thought that. The offense is intricately dependent on timing. I would think any preiod longer than the normal period between games, where you aren't building up to the peak readiness right before a game, makes the timing suffer. It's kind of like going to the gym and working out when you don't have a particular short-term goal in mind.

Interesting dynamic added to the season now. We've been building and building since 2008 without any real regression yet. Sure, we had the disappointing losses to UGA and Iowa last year, but while those sucked, they didn't really hold us back as we still won the ACC and played in a BCS bowl.

Well that ended today. We're 2 games into the season, and GT has yet to play a crisp quarter of football. It's like we've got a hangover from last season. It's on the players to break out of it. They gotta play with hunger and smarts, neither of which have been apparent yet.

Of course, in-game coaching has left a lot to be desired. Something is just not right in the offense. It's like we've got a Ferarri with the handling of a Datsun. Something feels off. Maybe there is some minor adjustment needed for this offense for major college football level that Paul Johnson hasn't figured out. If I had to take a guess, it's a problem with the A-Backs and what type of athletes we have there and how we are using them. We can't stretch the field vertically at all with them, and that is making it easier to cover us, and even more so with an inaccurate quarterback who can't make the defense pay for one-one coverage with the wide receivers.

So we can easily shake this off and still win the ACC (which is an embarrassment of a conference right now), or we can end up with 4 of 5 losses just as easily, too. This season just became morbidly fascinating.

You're just way off base on this one. I'm not a "CPJ walks on water" guy, but it seemed obvious to me that the plays we were running were right on. A couple of examples:

(1) we made a ton of yards on counter option plays after they started flowing to the ball and comitting too quickly. Nice play calling.

(2) the CB's and safeties were coming up in heavy run support, and we had open receivers all day. If our WR's actually catch the ball or run the right route, or if Josh actually throws the ball well, we win big.

(3) undisciplined ST play was a key issue - Jefferson's late hit, the stupid block in the back, and the terrible punt were killers. We gave up 14 points on two of those drives.

This was not a coaching issue in-game, it was an execution issue.

(3) undisciplined ST play was a key issue - Jefferson's late hit, the stupid block in the back, and the terrible punt were killers. We gave up 14 points on two of those drives.

This was not a coaching issue in-game, it was an execution issue.

I could have handled a close win but those 2 BS penalties really sealed the deal for us and should have never happened.

In any given year you are going to have probably 30-40% of the games that could have gone either way. Last year we were 4-0 in "coin-flip" games: Clemson (2x), Wake, @FSU. This time we were on the losing side of things, while looking like sh*t in the process - just as we had done after week 2 last year. Too early to hit the panic button.

The point I'm making is most people based expectations on what we did last year. But our record may have been inflated. We won't go 4-0 in coin-flip games this year, particularly considering our road schedule. Might be time to re-calibrate.

I still feel kind of bothered by people writing Joshua off as inaccurate. I can remember three plays yesterday that looked like bad passes at the time - two overthrown deep balls and, IIRC, the final throw of the game. But considering how lost the wideouts were the entire game, I don't know if maybe they just weren't gunning it like they should have been to catch up to the pass - I'd have to re-watch it.

The rest of the passes were basically right on target and the guys just didn't catch the damn ball. I expect that the passing will be in working order by mid-season, but the receivers are in dire, dire need of help.

I still feel kind of bothered by people writing Joshua off as inaccurate. I can remember three plays yesterday that looked like bad passes at the time - two overthrown deep balls and, IIRC, the final throw of the game. But considering how lost the wideouts were the entire game, I don't know if maybe they just weren't gunning it like they should have been to catch up to the pass - I'd have to re-watch it.

The rest of the passes were basically right on target and the guys just didn't catch the damn ball. I expect that the passing will be in working order by mid-season, but the receivers are in dire, dire need of help.

There we five drops yesterday and two poorly run routes that would have changed the entire passing game. The drop in the end zone really hurt. It was a well thrown ball. Josh had two poor throws all day long. Unfortunately the last play was one. Our guys were in position to make plays. He should not have to duck down in the first 2 seconds of every throwing play though.

One thing I am curious about after watching the game, is how much control nesbitt has with audibles. Is he allowed to audible into a pass if he sees something he likes? There were several times yesterday when we had a hard count, and the cb on the wide side of the field showed blitz. If we would have thrown a quick stay on those plays we could have gotten 8-10 yds minimum.

Miami last year looked like a regression. UGA looked like a regression too.

Losses look like regressions when you're used to winning.

we are 2-3 in our last 5 with one win over SC state

I don't get why people fall into the ESPN trap of carrying win and loss records between end of seasons and beginning of seasons. These things only matter when you've had it running for a statistically significant number of games/seasons.

Football seasons are different discrete events in college with all of the personnel turnover.

I don't get why people fall into the ESPN trap of carrying win and loss records between end of seasons and beginning of seasons. These things only matter when you've had it running for a statistically significant number of games/seasons.

Football seasons are different discrete events in college with all of the personnel turnover.
Agreed, it seems pretty silly. You wouldn't carry Dwyer or Bebe's stats from those games over and give them to AA or Hill, so why do it with wins or losses?

Agreed, it seems pretty silly. You wouldn't carry Dwyer or Bebe's stats from those games over and give them to AA or Hill, so why do it with wins or losses?

When it's multi-year (3+) it's a pretty good indicator of the program (see: Utah, University of and Boise, not a state).

Otherwise it falls in the lies, damn lies, and statistics category.

careful, too much criticism of CPJ MIGHT get you banned

No being a whiny little turd is what is going to get you banned. You have offered nothing more than sound bites and no explanations of your stance other than "high school offense, I like Harbaugh better, and I only come say things when we lose and I can get attention."

I swear I hope you're only this much of a douche in your e-life or else it's a long road to hoe when you finally get out of school.

careful, too much criticism of CPJ MIGHT get you banned
You're dangerously near 'ignore button' stage, Train. Your posts aren't really contributing anything, they're just handwaving freakoutery. I've got no problem with you bashing stuff, just try and be funny or original about it, jeez.

Back