What a crock of BS

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Because playing those teams is fun.

Maybe if we get to the point where we're regularly going 10-2 and a crappy OOC schedule gives us a real shot at the playoffs I'd want to change things up, but until then I'd rather play real OOC teams than add one more (mostly) guaranteed win a season.
What about getting to 8-4 but a crappy OOC schedule meant going 10-2? Or getting to 6-6 but a crappy OOC meant going 8-4? National respect doesn’t only begin at the playoffs. If Tech went 8-4 for a few years under Collins with easier games instead of going 6-6, that wouldn’t meant anything to you? Going to Ole Miss carries that much value?

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
What about getting to 8-4 but a crappy OOC schedule meant going 10-2? Or getting to 6-6 but a crappy OOC meant going 8-4? National respect doesn’t only begin at the playoffs. If Tech went 8-4 for a few years under Collins with easier games instead of going 6-6, that wouldn’t meant anything to you? Going to Ole Miss carries that much value?
Yes, it does. Obviously I love watching GT play any team, but to be honest cupcake games just aren't the same as games against legit teams. We only get a dozen times to watch GT play a year. Two of those are already cupcakes. I want the other two OOC games to be legit.

Plus so much of my enjoyment of college football is the different settings and traditions of various schools. I'd love to get an opportunity to walk through The Grove (or at least watch it on TV depending on logistics) and then watch the Jackets play. And I always look forward to an opportunity to stick it to an SEC team.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I don’t have a hard time with this rating. We have to win some games now. Three win seasons with some bad losses earn the dubious distinction of being picked with the Dukes, Syracuses and Vandys of the world. I think we will make positive strides this year. We can’t trip up against the first two opponents. We ought to beat Duke and Virginia Tech. That gets us off the three spot. Out of UVA, Pitt, Miami, BC, UNC, ND we ought to get one or two more. With 5 or 6 wins we won’t be picked so low in ‘22. Seven wins seems a reasonable ceiling for this season from my perspective. I hope the floor will be 4 wins. In that range talk of progress will be valid.

athensjacket

Varsity Lurker
Yes, it does. Obviously I love watching GT play any team, but to be honest cupcake games just aren't the same as games against legit teams. We only get a dozen times to watch GT play a year. Two of those are already cupcakes. I want the other two OOC games to be legit.

Plus so much of my enjoyment of college football is the different settings and traditions of various schools. I'd love to get an opportunity to walk through The Grove (or at least watch it on TV depending on logistics) and then watch the Jackets play. And I always look forward to an opportunity to stick it to an SEC team.
I think our schedules for the next 7 or 8 years are well balanced.
One FCS team, one G-5 team, Ugag, and one other P-5/Notre Dame. Seems reasonable to me.

TechRush

Dodd-Like
Tech can easily earn respect. There are two teams on Tech's schedule every year. Beat them, hell at least hang with them and Tech will gain respect. And don't lose to Syracuse. Note I did not mention The Citadel.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
I don’t have a hard time with this rating. We have to win some games now. Three win seasons with some bad losses earn the dubious distinction of being picked with the Dukes, Syracuses and Vandys of the world. I think we will make positive strides this year. We can’t trip up against the first two opponents. We ought to beat Duke and Virginia Tech. That gets us off the three spot. Out of UVA, Pitt, Miami, BC, UNC, ND we ought to get one or two more. With 5 or 6 wins we won’t be picked so low in ‘22. Seven wins seems a reasonable ceiling for this season from my perspective. I hope the floor will be 4 wins. In that range talk of progress will be valid.
Yeah I agree with you that 4 games is the floor and we should blow by that easily. I think anything less than 6 wins would be a disappointment to me. I think 8 wins is the ceiling but we may need a little help along the way for that to be realistic. Hopefully we are competitive in every game save a couple maybe. I think the season will come down to if we are able to split the ACC games you mentioned UVA, Pitt, Miami, BC, UNC, and ND. That would get us to 7 and hopefully a bowl game.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
I'm all for a good schedule but a crazy hard schedule is an issue for us. We are not the larger state university that can bring in any football player they want. We have always had depth issues and crazy stupid hard schedule like we have w/ UGA, CU, ND plus the ACC is counter to what we are about right now. Maybe in five years.... not that we have a choice.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
The only reason anyone in the nation has heard of Kansas State is weak OOC scheduling. It is certainly a route that works. I’m not a huge fan, but we should have tried to do it while switching from the 3O.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Yeah I agree with you that 4 games is the floor and we should blow by that easily. I think anything less than 6 wins would be a disappointment to me. I think 8 wins is the ceiling but we may need a little help along the way for that to be realistic. Hopefully we are competitive in every game save a couple maybe. I think the season will come down to if we are able to split the ACC games you mentioned UVA, Pitt, Miami, BC, UNC, and ND. That would get us to 7 and hopefully a bowl game.
The ceiling will evolve during the season depending on player health.

GT 1950

Varsity Lurker
He has us on Tier 9 of 10. The team’s performance last year doesn’t justify that.
I agree with gtphd. We should be in tier 10... just kidding but a team with the rankings we had in both offensive line and secondary along with winning a total of 6 games in the past two years with historic losses to Clemson and the Citadel is going to have plenty of skeptics.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
I agree with gtphd. We should be in tier 10... just kidding but a team with the rankings we had in both offensive line and secondary along with winning a total of 6 games in the past two years with historic losses to Clemson and the Citadel is going to have plenty of skeptics.
Syracuse too. Getting blown out by a team that lost every other game on its schedule is right there with the others.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Not debating Tier 9. I'm debating relative value vs. Louisville.
If your point is that Louisville should be Tier 9, too, then your point is well taken.

Otherwise, seems like they just about nailed it.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Over the last 22 games, we're 6-16. 14 of those 16 are by double digits. One of the 16 is to a less than mediocre FCS team. Another one is to a FBS team that did not win another game that season.
Of those six wins, none came against teams that finished that season with a winning record.
Wanna go back even further?
We're 6-18 over the last 24, with 16 losses by double digits.
Tier 9?
We ought to be glad it doesn't go all the way to 11.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Over the last 22 games, we're 6-16. 14 of those 16 are by double digits. One of the 16 is to a less than mediocre FCS team. Another one is to a FBS team that did not win another game that season.
Of those six wins, none came against teams that finished that season with a winning record.
Tier 9?
Careful, Geoff will register an account here just so he can block you.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
Tier 9?
You must not have been around or listened to the radio but I heard college football analysts say they thought we could possibly win one game our first season. Looks like they weren't far off. These predictions were made just after CPJ retired. Moral of the story is, it didn't matter who we brought in. If it wasn't a TO minded coach the turn around was going to be awful and anyone with a brain knew it. We'll come back to this stupid thread after next season and then you guys can argue about our new level of prowess.