What do we need to go bowling?

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I think, if we do not lose any more key players, we could be fine.

Two of the most important positions, strategic to our success, are the quarterbacks and offensive backfield.

I fully expect the quarterback position to be a strong point this year. I have that much confidence in Nix.

If the new freshmen are good, especially Grant, we could be alright at this position. I fully expect to see some changes of players from other positions to the offensive backfield, early in fall practice, to see how they look at the position.

I think we already have very good receivers, but they lacked concentration last year. I believe the receivers have better coaching and will have better fundamentals this year. Look for very good production from this group.

I see the defense as being very strong, even with some of the losses to grades. If we remain healthy in the OL, I believe it will be very good.

Another slot I will be looking at with a lot of curiosity is the DT spot. I am curious if the two 300 pounders coming into the program can add some much needed quality backup for that position.

It could be a very good year depending on a few things falling into place.

smile.gif

The d-line looks like a rough situation to me. Those young DTs will not only have to add depth, they are going to have to be big time players. We are really short of bodies at DT.

Overall, we are going to get our asses kicked, but we can look good doing it. It's stupid to think we will be highly competitive facing the teams that we will for 2003 - but - we can go out and leave it ALL on the field and be known as fighters - teams will then not expect GT to just lay down and get stomped - this will be something to build on - pride.

Goldtoof, I probably agree with you that things will be rough. However, college football is all about the quarterback position. If this team has good QB play and stays healthy we can go to a bowl. I'm not expecting that to happen, but we can hope.

Agree with ya Axe. QB is still a big freakin' question - that is one of two or both reasons - 1. we haven't found the right guy yet (probable)
2. we have the right guy and coach does not want to reveal his hand

If we had one of the critical positions appearing as a lock, I would feel better, but damn, we don't, that's what makes college football fun, but it's not like we can go out and buy talent.

A QB to step up, plain and simple. The other pieces are there but we need a field general. Bring it, fellas. We need you now!

Patience during 1st 4 games with Bilbo. No quick hooks please Chan.

Stay very healthy, i.e.'90.

Non conservative play calling on FIRST down, please Chan. THWG

Originally posted by JacksonJacket:
And like Ohio State last year, we'll need a little luck along the way
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think it was Arnold Palmer who said once to a reporter that asked him about a lucky day
"Yea, the more I practice, the luckier I get."

Hit 'em hard, keep hitting 'em hard, play sound fundamentals and we'll have all the luck we need.

I think that if we're lucky with injuries this year and if the ball bounces our way a couple of times, I really think we can get 7 wins and finish 5th in the conference. That would likely secure a bowl game for us and keep the streak alive.

Someone has to step up at QB and our DB's have to got perform. Hopefully both lines will play solid enough to give us opportunities to move the ball on offense and stop some folks on D.

TECH got no breaks last year...I'd say we may get one or two this year and win a game that we have no business winning. I'd take the Awbarn, F$U, or UGA game in a heart beat.

I say that we pack BDS for AU and UGA and travel well to FSU. Maybe, just maybe, we'll have a chance at at least one of 'em.
lightningzap.gif

How about a little football talk?

Here is my position-by-position look on what GT needs to go bowling this season.

Quarterback: I'm not a believer in true frosh QBs. You cannot expect to win on a consistent basis with a true freshman QB. Maybe the guys like Manning, Zeier, etc can do it but not the typical kid. IMHO, Bilbo has to be the man for us. The light bulb has to come on in a big way for him. He could be the most physically gifted QB Georgia Tech has ever had, however, some QBs don't have the natural instincts to react quickly enough to make plays. I think Bilbo is a smart kid, but it takes discovering something special inside. For GT to earn a bowl bid this year, he will have to find it.

Running Back: We will have to count on a true freshman here. I'm hoping that Grant will be the man by the 3rd or 4th game. He has game-breaking speed. I know Coach Nix is very high on him. He has to be a bigtime back for us. Daniels, ACE, and Hatch will get plenty of carries and help us, but Grant has to be the difference maker. Matthews has the chance to be a big-time Fullback. He has a lot of natural ability. He can catch the football and do a lot of things. I think he will make the fullback a factor in our offense again. He is going to touch the ball a lot. I can't see moving him back to DE.

Wide Receiver/Tight End: We've got the necessary talent here, but we have to stay healthy. Depth is scary at both positions. Dunlap will have to play and Nate Curry needs to return to his old form. I think he is headed in that direction. We will run less 4 wide stuff this year. Chan's thinking must return to his NFL days as we only have 3 proven WRs on the roster. In the NFL, teams only have 5 or 6 WRs and 2 top notch players, so coaches have to keep their guys healthy. I'm guessing that Ball could see some time here perhaps in a Slash Stewart role.

Offensive Line: MUST STAY HEALTHY. This group has the chance to make our RBs look very good. On paper, we've got the best starting group in the ACC. They must stay healthy upfront like they did in 2000. We probably have more depth this year than we did then, but we need the same luck.

Defensive Line: Gathers and Henderson and pray for rain, or something like that. GG has to get close to his old form and play a lot of football. The Oliver kid needs to turn into a stud very quickly. If Anoai can play as well, that would be great. I really liked the Billy kid inside a couple years ago but he is limited in the size department. We've got to figure out a way to make him effecitve inside. The young true and redshirt freshmen must rise to the occassion. Like I said, a little prayer might not hurt either.

Linebacker: Daryl Smith is a senior and it would be great to see him play injury free for a full season. He can cover up a lot of problems upfront and he will need to. This group needs to stay healthy, however the first group is top notch. A little help from Wilkinson, Anyansi and a couple of the true frosh would help.

Defensive Backs: I think this unit is going to be the biggest surprise on the team. As soon as Landry and Butler get comfortable they could be the best Safety duo we've had in a long time. Both of them are very athletic and agressive against the run. Watch out when they figure out what they are doing they are going to be good. Reis must get some time as well. He is a big-time hitter. The corners look very solid as well. Assuming, everyone can play this could be the best secondary we've had in a while. They will need to be for us to make a bowl trip.

Special Teams: These guys aren't going to be world-beaters. They just need to be steady. Make the kicks they are suppossed to and don't screw up. We can't count on this unit winning games for us.

Offensive Coaching: They need to do what I think they are going to do. Figure out a way to play power football and get the football to lots of different people. We must establish a strong running game and keep things simple for Bilbo. We will look to get the ball in the hands of Foschi and Matthews and explore the deep stuff as well. Nothing fancy just solid old-fashioned football.

Defensive Coaching: They have to get the secondary ready to roll. I think we've got the players to do that. The key is figuring out a way to cover up the holes upfront. I have no idea how they will do it. We will watch Tenuta earn his money. That is for sure.

Intangibles: Once again we need some luck. Just like in 2000, we need folks to stay healthy and for true frosh to rise to the occassion.

Back