What happened to our deep ball?

Yeah. There is zero evidence of that.

Ralph told me Dez White had depth perception problems, and you could see it in the patterns they had him run which were basically ball coming catch it when it gets there. But Sims could not do half of what he does in the shallow and mid range if he had depth perception problems.

Zero evidence? His throw to Carter was so short Friday night that both defenders over ran the play. It was a compliment to Carter that he was able to get back to it and make it into a fantastic play. Brown's big catch earlier in the game required him to come to a complete stop to wait for it. How often have you seen Sims hitting a receiver down field in stride? If he does have depth perception problems you would expect his short range stuff to be fine and his mid-range to stuff to be ok; it is the distance stuff that would suffer. He certainly seems to have the arm to go deep.

He was wide open in a zone and sat down to make the throw easier. It was by design, based on how Carter & Sims read the coverage.

The yards after catch were terrific in the Louisville game. If we can get 12 yards per attempt dinking and dunking and throwing screens; cool. Deep ball is a work in progress but once we we start hooking up on that, look out.

Last edited:
He was wide open in a zone and sat down to make the throw easier. It was by design, based on how Carter & Sims read the coverage.

?? He didn't stop, he ran back to get the ball after it was thrown. The two defenders weren't able to put the brakes on fast enough and over ran the play. Brown might have stopped prior to the throw, I don't remember exactly.

Sims saw Carter wide open at the last possible second, per his presser. Throw was supposed to go outside. Underthrow was much better than an overthrow there.

I think that Sims has shown he is a threat in the short and intermediate passing game, so the opponent doesn't just jam the box with 8 or 9 like they did against James F Graham. Seeing a lot more two safeties high; and this cuts down the deep looks.

Back