What happens after Feb 5, 2003?

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
Signing day; full of surprises!

Is there anyone, based upon the outcome on Feb 5, who will change their opinion on Gailey?

If so, what will be the keys you are looking for to move to the other side, or at least back on the fence?

71Bee, of course I would be thrilled to see us come up with an outstanding recruiting class. Yes,
that would be encouraging somewhat, but I fear that what we saw this season went deeper than the cupboard being thin. I love Tech and look for the slightest bits of news to encourage me but we had better talent than several teams that beat us this year. We did sustain an inordinate number of injuries but just look at our bowl game we played the third place team in a minor conference that lost 7 players the week of the game but their coaches had their team ready to play. All that Chan offered us was a gaggle of excuses which is
his mode of operation. I think if Chan and his bunch had been coaching UGA this year he would have found a way to lose from three to five games.

I just wish I could see our team play with a pulse again. I don't think a lack of talent is our problem.

Feb 5th will likely just bring more complaining and belly aching no matter what players we end up signing. Some posters will find something to rail on Gailey about no matter how the class ends up. I am surprised nobody has blamed him for the 2003 schedule yet

Originally posted by 83jacket:
Feb 5th will likely just bring more complaining and belly aching no matter what players we end up signing. Some posters will find something to rail on Gailey about no matter how the class ends up. I am surprised nobody has blamed him for the 2003 schedule yet
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">______________________________________________

I actually disagree with that. I have been hard on CG - about specific things (been said too many times allready), but nothing would please me more in this world to be 100% wrong about CG - to see him have the best recruiting year we've ever had, and then to somehow find a way to create motivation in the staff and team, with a well-executing, enthusiastic, never quitting team, and win a bunch of games next year would be a dream come true.

I don't want to see Tech have to go through another coaching change; to me thats the worse case scenario.

However, I am also a realist and I can see what happens in the games by the same players I have been watching for 3-4 years, and the apparent trends that have seemingly developed.

Yea, my opinion of Gailey could radically change if he surprised everyone with a top 15 class. It would show me that he, and his staff, has what it takes to convince talented HS players to come and play for Ga. Tech.
Middle of the ACC pack recruiting would not change my opinion of him at all.
BOO

When it is all over I believe our recruiting class will be ranked about 6th in the ACC. There are those that will say the recruiting services know nothing but I disagree...they know more than we do. I also believe there is a high degree of correlation between ongoing recruiting rankings and final poll positions. While I hope not, I fear our FB program is on a glide path to mediocrity. Come on CCG, surprise us!

Originally posted by 71Bee:

Is there anyone, based upon the outcome on Feb 5, who will change their opinion on Gailey?

If so, what will be the keys you are looking for to move to the other side, or at least back on the fence?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think too many people on this board have already made up their mind about CG and don't want him back no matter what happens.

After February 5th, the same thing will happen on this board that happen before February 5th...a bunch of threads that debate the Pros and Cons of CG. IMO, this is not a very interesting board anymore. How many times can we debate the same thing over and over?

Originally posted by sfalco:
Feb. 6, 2003***
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for recognizing my birthday. That must be why you posted the date.
wink.gif

Originally posted by bugboy:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71Bee:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think too many people on this board have already made up their mind about CG and don't want him back no matter what happens.

After February 5th, the same thing will happen on this board that happen before February 5th...a bunch of threads that debate the Pros and Cons of CG. IMO, this is not a very interesting board anymore. How many times can we debate the same thing over and over?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Very good point.
pat.gif

Speaking of Birthday's Chan has the same birthday as I Jan. 5, although I was a middle aged man when he was born. Also Bobby Ross was hired on my birthday. You win some and you lose some.

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by sfalco:
Feb. 6, 2003***
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for recognizing my birthday. That must be why you posted the date.
wink.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So what do you want for your birthday, GTT?

The board gets irritating when people hide behind their "rights" to have opinions,I think. If the best defense you can up with for an idea is that you have a right to it, it's probably dumb or boring, or both. Of course, that's just my opinion. Well, I have a right to it, don't I?

Belly, I want a recruiting class filled with great young promising athletes here to get a great education and help make GT Champions.
blue.gif

GO Jackets!

It won't affect my opinion positive or negative. At the end of the day, it is what happens on the field that really matters. It would certainly be a positive step and perhaps might make some people's offseason easier to handle.

Thought I would throw this up again, just to see if yesterday's recruiting results have been inspirational.

nothing happened on 5feb that affected my opinion of chan gailey, we had a very mediocre class, possibly 6th in the acc. we are headed on a downward slope and if a change is not made at the end of the 2003 season, i forsee 5 or 6 years with 4-5 wins per year. we need a coach who has fire and can inspire, i.e. mike stoops, bud foster, maybe re-think charlie teaffe.

Happy Birthday GTT!! Hopefully you have a surprise package or two in this class!

drinking.gif

Good Question 71Bee...

I think the staff did a good job this year.. and while we will have to "endure" all of the Bradley articles etc. concerning the success of Georgia and others, I would be willing to bet that all of the Tech commits will be in camp come August, but I will bet you that many others, who signed "Outstanding Classes" will be watching commits become academic casualities before they even get out of the blocks.

Yellowjacket, I disagree with you concerning the recruiting services... I thnk we give them waaaay too much credit. There are a number of reasons why I believe they are overrated... for one, they dont even agree with each other... secondly, their "Star" system of determining a "recruits ability" changes with the same regularity that I change my underwear. If I believe that they know these details concerning the recruits, then I also believe that the Carmax salesperson knows the intricate details of every used car on their lot.

I will give an example found on Rivals.. there are two WR.. Chris Dunlap and Beau Sarver.. approximately the same height, same weight, same forty time.. but one is a one star while another is a two star... if you read the bios there is nothing in either that would lend information to determine a "star" .. so whats the difference, are they using their own system or are they waiting on various schools to use their knowledge to help them determine who is a good player or not.. if this is the case, then they are simply providing an inventory of players and waiting on the experts (the coaching staffs) to determine their value...

I dont buy into the value of the "recruiting experts" .. they do a good job of organizing the inventory... but there is no way that Rivals, Insiders, or others can know who would be of value to Georgia Tech.. I mean, would our class have been a better class with one Ernie Sims.. or three more 3 star linemen? A good debate could be had supporting either direction.

And Bugboy, I agree with you.. there have been more threads on this board debating the coach than anything else... We lost games to WF and VA in 1999, games that we shouldnt have lost.. but I still supported GOL.. didnt like his treatment of others at the Edge.. but supported him... I didnt like the losses this year, but support Gailey as long as he is our coach.. thats the bottom line and I have grown tired of debating the issue.

Happy B-DAY GTT ,it is my little girls special day as well! as for CCG, I will reserve my thoughts till the end of this year. Give me a team of so-so talent with a great HC over a team with great talent and a so-so coach.!

Thank you very much ThomasJacket. Happy Birthday to your little girl~

A Happy Birthday to Partick Carter as well, one of our new Yellow Jackets!
blue.gif

Back