What If Every Team But Tech Left the ACC?

Imagine the research the school could do with that amount of money. Wow. Tech would become a nationally recognized research institution overnight.

Thanks, athletics.

/----_stir.gif

Not even a plausible fantasy--our lawyers would bungle things so badly Tech would owe money.

Why GT still need to buy out GT if it was the only team left?

In reality, there's a clause that dissolves the league if there are 5 or fewer teams remaining.

Thank you for your inquiry. I checked with several top flight law firms and was told the following: If the league went from 15 to 1 team in one fell mega-second, the "dissolve at 5 or less" rule would not apply, uinless the one remaining team wanted to enforce it, which GT would not do. Furthermore, if we ever left the one-team ACC, which we were the sole member of and which was by then run by the GTAA, we would have to pay ouselves the entire $50,000,000.00, if we elected to demand it from ourselves. Plus, I contacted ESPN, and their spokesman told me that this one-team ACC, playing 12 games a year against really quality opponents, would cause them to renegotiate the contract upward by $8 million per season, since they would put all 12 ACC games every year on in prime time. They would help us arrange an annual schedule along these lines: @Alabama, Ohio State, @Southern Cal, Clemson, @Texas, @Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, @ Florida, Auburn, @ Oregon, Georgia. The competition and attendance would be excellent and, even if we went 0-12, we would, of course, still host the ACC Championship Game. If the team that beat us the worst were a member of another conference and they were in their conference championship game, they would then play in the ACCCG in Atlanta the following week, which would give them two chances at making a BCS bowl or better, thus making the entire situation attractive to everyone. If the "guest challenger" won both their conference championship and the ACCCG against us, they would automatically be proclaimed "National Champions" by virture of winning two conference championships in the same season. Furthermore, an NCAA spokesman has said we would be granted a waiver to play in the Peach Bowl if we lost the ACCCG and finished 0-13, because we would have qualified for the ACCCG. The Chick-Fill-A Bowl said this would be fine with them, because "having a winless ACC team play a bad SEC team and get slaughtered would be more fun and less embarassing than what we are seeing every year now: having a good ACC team get slaughtered by a bad SEC team." Dr. Pepper said having the ACCCG in Atlanta every year would be great for them, because they could wave their sponsorship of the game in Coca-Cola's face, since Coke's world headquarters is just a few blocks from Bobby Dodd Stadium, the annual site of the ACCCG. When Chan Gailey was told about this, he said, "I wish they had this when I was there." Coach Paul Johnson, on the other hand, said "It is what it isn't." The Sporting News reported that athletic directors around the country were speculating that many other teams, led by Texas, would adopt the ACC's "one team league model," and Wes Durham tweeted, "Incredible. Every other team in America will be on the outside looking in."

Y'all are thinking small.

Keep the conference size about the same. Just drive individual teams out, and replace them. If we could cycle through 100 teams, that is 5 billion dollars.

And if some teams could be suckered more than once....

Back