What if we go 11-2?

There's no reason we should go over any one loss team. We would have an argument if there are no other one loss teams.

Forget it. If we beat UGA and FSU, we end up either 12-2 or 11-3, ACC champions, and a win over the dawgs. To cry over not making the playoffs with 2 losses to non ranked teams is ridiculous.

Forget it. If we beat UGA and FSU, we end up either 12-2 or 11-3, ACC champions, and a win over the dawgs. To cry over not making the playoffs with 2 losses to non ranked teams is ridiculous.

Agreed, let's just focus on what's at hand as there's a lot of football left to be played. Beat the Dwags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the "let's focus on what's in front of us" crowd like us talking about making the playoffs makes the team not focus on what's in front of them.

It's just not going to happen. We aren't leapfrogging teams like Ohio State if they remain with 1-loss, especially since they'll also have a conference championship game. We need several teams to lose in order to move ahead of them.

I think people are too caught up in the current rankings. As they stand now, the rankings show who the board thinks are the BEST teams. With no conference champs yet, that is the only logical way to rank them. Things will shake up after conference Champs are crowned and the board can take that into consideration.

I think that the board will start with conference Champs and look for reasons why NOT to put them in the top 4 or why another team may be more deserving. If sec champ has 3 losses, and other conference champs have 1 and us at 2 it will be big10 champ and pac champ by default, 1 loss sec west runner up (if that plays out) and the final spot will be between us and the b12 champ. We would have a great shot if we had just beaten 2 top 10 teams, the sec champ and a top 3. Previous rankings will not matter. They will seed the top 4 based on who they want in the playoff, working backwards from conference champs as a starting point. It will not work like previous years where you have to work your way up the rankings week by week.

I think people are too caught up in the current rankings. As they stand now, the rankings show who the board thinks are the BEST teams. With no conference champs yet, that is the only logical way to rank them. Things will shake up after conference Champs are crowned and the board can take that into consideration..

Agreed. Which is why all the bitching and moaning over the rankings is stupid. While I do think they provide insight as to who they think is the best team, ultimately they really are meaningless and don't necessarily correlate to who they will put in the playoff.

Not that I think we will get in, but the bottom line is no one has any idea what they will do once they have conference championship results and have to actually choose the participants.

If we go 11-2
We'll have beaten the following teams:
VPI
Miami
Clemson
Georgia
FSU

I'd argue that's as good a 5 wins as any team in the country and certainly the best at Tech in atleast 24 years.

If we go 11-2
VPI
Miami
Clemson
Georgia
FSU

I'd argue that's as good a 5 wins as any team in the country and certainly the best at Tech in atleast 24 years.

And we would also have the worst losses of any team being considered for the playoff.

Everyone keeps bringing up our potential great wins but ignore the awful losses. Yes, 2 losses to unranked teams looks awful when determining the 4 teams for the playoff.

If we go 11-2
VPI
Miami
Clemson
Georgia
FSU

Virginia Tech is a .500 team. No one outside of our fans would consider that a resume-building win for a potential playoff team.

And we would also have the worst losses of any team being considered for the playoff.

Everyone keeps bringing up our potential great wins but ignore the awful losses. Yes, 2 losses to unranked teams looks awful when determining the 4 teams for the playoff.

Except Ohio State.

Also, how hilarious would it be of Vandy knocked off MSU?

Except Ohio State.

Also, how hilarious would it be of Vandy knocked off MSU?

Pretty öööö hilarious. If they even manage to keep it close, I'll be interested to see if the committee is consistent and drops MSU like they did with TCU last week.

Obviously it is better to lose to good teams and beat mediocre teams than to beat good teams and lose to mediocre teams - see Miss St.

Uh, give this another week. Duke can finish 9-3, UNC 7-5. That looks better than Texas A&M and LSU to me.

Uh, give this another week. Duke can finish 9-3, UNC 7-5. That looks better than Texas A&M and LSU to me.

Which is irrelevant, since you're not on the selection committee. They had Duke ranked in the 20s when they had one loss. By contrast, LSU was in the teens with 3 losses.

Back