What is it about this board ? (and a thanks)

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
This is absolutely the best sports message board I've seen...I think its because the posters seem to be pretty football savy....There is a 'relative" lack of personal insults...Lack of dawgs and the ones who do post are pretty good...

There is a lack of B.S. and a lack of "cute" personal "inside" jokes/stories etc for a limited "select"...

The administrators are awesome....

There is freedom of speech (BTW I believe that this board proves that every word someone says doesn't need to be scrutinized, and freedom of speech doesn't make a board implode - rather it enhances)

Sorry for the long post - I just think this board ROCKS and wanted to thank the moderators/admin's for a GREAT BOARD !!!

I second your post Gold Rush... as I have stated many times in the past, I have really enjoyed this forum... and appreciate the different perspectives, opinions, etc.. and your are right.. the admins are great, and the fonts really know their stuff in regards to Tech and football...

Great post !!

Gold Rush, I agree completely. This is a classy place to hang out. There is indeed much football, basketball, and baseball savvy here and the contributors are top notch without exception. There is an air of "agreeing to disagree without becoming disagreeable" that prevails most of the time. I know I have shown my rear end a few times and been exposed; but no one has ever been rude to me that I recall. And yes, the Admins. are truly outstanding and always looking for ways to improve the board. This is always the first place I come to when I turn on my computer or return to it after spending time elsewhere. There is a large nucleus of primary contributors, but no one is made to feel inferior or as an intruder. Thanks for starting this thread.

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
This is absolutely the best sports message board I've seen...I think its because the posters seem to be pretty football savy....There is a 'relative" lack of personal insults...Lack of dawgs and the ones who do post are pretty good...

There is a lack of B.S. and a lack of "cute" personal "inside" jokes/stories etc for a limited "select"...

The administrators are awesome....

There is freedom of speech (BTW I believe that this board proves that every word someone says doesn't need to be scrutinized, and freedom of speech doesn't make a board implode - rather it enhances)

Sorry for the long post - I just think this board ROCKS and wanted to thank the moderators/admin's for a GREAT BOARD !!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I absolutely agree with you about this board. It is great because it reflects the owner's beliefs and desires. It has its own personality for sure, and I really like it for that.

However, why do you have to try and take cheap shots at another board(s)!!! Why can't you just simply say this board is awesome, and you like it the best????

The other board(s) simply reflect that owner's beliefs and desires. If you don't like his beliefs or desire, you don't have to go there. It is a free country.

I promise you this... WHen this board gets as popular and has been around for over 6 years you will have fonts that are going to make the same complaints as you concerning this place. I seriously hope this board gets that popular. The admins have put in a lot of work here and run a good ship. However, when the masses come you can't stop human nature.

Thanks guys for the encouraging nicely written thread! Greatly enjoyed reading every word.

It's posts like this that encourage me to be a better poster and appreciate the board more.

I agree wholeheartedly Gold Rush. I like all the information I can get about GT, but I've always had a more comfortable feeling about posting on this board as opposed to other GT boards.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gold Rush,
It was nice when this was true....or if it were true....but I can assure you that it is not true anymore.
But I agree with your point that freedom of speech does not make the board implode....would just be nice if everyone had that freedom.
Just never understood anyone being afraid of words or feeling the need to censor words. Or to constantly complain about words.
Mindboggling....and very unnecessary....and doesn't enhance the board but actually holds the board back.

Beeware has a point.

To see a comical rule restricting speech, look at the locked post on the Hive, right at the top, which forbids profanity (no problem) AND the @#%##**! symbols for profanity. The Sunday funnies allow &%#@@^)!

Obviously, I have no problem commenting on other boards and how they are run. Why shouldn't we? But I concur that this is the best one. It has by far the fewest restrictions.

Originally posted by BEESerk:

"However, why do you have to try and take cheap shots at another board(s)!!! Why can't you just simply say this board is awesome, and you like it the best????"

"The other board(s) simply reflect that owner's beliefs and desires. If you don't like his beliefs or desire, you don't have to go there. It is a free country."

Huh ? Did I even mention any other board ?
Me thinks you are WAY too sensitive about whatever other board you refer to ( I assume the Hive?)...I was making a general statement about the VAST array of other boards I have seen - some political, some religious, or whatever.
Go back and look at my post - It was just a general statement...sheesssee give me a break !

I haven't given "props" (not EXACTLY sure what it means, but that's what the kids say these days--but it is a positive) to the admins. lately, but here's to you and the work and effort you put forth.

I very much apprectiate this board.

Gold Rush,

I seriously apologize if you were not trying to take cheap shots at another GT board.

However, your post sounded almost verbatim like other posts I have seen on here whining about how The Hive is run. It was NOT a general statement. YOu were specifically talking about sports message boards, and the "lack of dawgs". I think that pretty much narrows your focus. Your post could easily be taken the way I took it because of that.

Like I said, if that is not what you referring to then I am sorry for accusing you of it.

I don't think he was speaking specifically of the Hive though he was probably including it. But that's easy to do, after all it is an Insiders board. I don't see any problem with comparing & contrasting independent websites with commercial ones and users of commercial websites shouldn't be so sensitive about criticism. Regardless of who moderates these boards, they are owned by Insiders. So don't take things so personally. They are no different than mcdonalds or pizza hut. If I said mcdonalds sucks, would you get your feelings hurt just because you like to eat there? Would you get all mad and defend mcdonalds? I find this hilarious.

Originally posted by DustJacket:
I don't think he was speaking specifically of the Hive though he was probably including it. But that's easy to do, after all it is an Insiders board. I don't see any problem with comparing & contrasting independent websites with commercial ones and users of commercial websites shouldn't be so sensitive about criticism. Regardless of who moderates these boards, they are owned by Insiders. So don't take things so personally. They are no different than mcdonalds or pizza hut. If I said mcdonalds sucks, would you get your feelings hurt just because you like to eat there? Would you get all mad and defend mcdonalds? I find this hilarious.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just a correction for everyone to understand...

Insiders DOES NOT OWN The Hive, so your argument is invalid. They merely have an arrangement to host the board. The Hive itself is privately owned, just like this board I assume.

People who bash the Hive can't seem to grasp the concept that they are in fact bashing an actual person and a fellow GT alumn. Like I said before, The Hive's policy is a reflection of its owner's beliefs, just like this one. That is what makes both boards a great place.

Insiders DOES NOT OWN The Hive, so your argument is invalid. They merely have an arrangement to host the board. The Hive itself is privately owned.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">if we are quibbling over semantics, you are right of course. Maybe I should have used the word controlled. The point being, its an Insiders board, it is not independent. I doubt very seriously that the owner could just decide to close it down tomorrow if he wanted to. But I bet Insiders could.

Originally posted by DustJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BEESerk:
Insiders DOES NOT OWN The Hive, so your argument is invalid. They merely have an arrangement to host the board. The Hive itself is privately owned.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">if we are quibbling over semantics, you are right of course. Maybe I should have used the word controlled. The point being, its an Insiders board, it is not independent. I doubt very seriously that the owner could just decide to close it down tomorrow if he wanted to. But I bet Insiders could.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am not quibbling over semantics, I am correcting statements that are completely false.

The whole deal was explained quite clearly by the Hive's owner pryor to the move to Insiders. I am simply trying to clear up some misconceptions which you obviously still have.

The owner of The Hive could quite easily pull all the components that were previously not part of the Insider's site tomorrow if he wished, AND he had threatened to do such a thing until he was able to get some other guys to serve as moderators. Insiders cannot make changes to his board without his permission too.

I am not trying to attack you in anyway, but you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I attempt to explain it and you still don't want to understand the truth.

He can not pull the private board that requires a paid for membership. He does not own that. It was getting too costly and too much of a burden to have the board hosted by the pryor ISP. He made a deal with Insiders to have it hosted there, and use some of their administrative tools. He still maintains full auhtority! Yes, they do have some financial arrangements, but he didn't/doesn't need to disclose that.

"I seriously apologize if you were not trying to take cheap shots at another GT board.

However, your post sounded almost verbatim like other posts I have seen on here whining about how The Hive is run. It was NOT a general statement. YOu were specifically talking about sports message boards, and the "lack of dawgs". I think that pretty much narrows your focus. Your post could easily be taken the way I took it because of that."

"Like I said, if that is not what you referring to then I am sorry for accusing you of it."

Honestly, when I wrote that post, I was not thinking of the HIVE..FWIW, I happen to know and really like RR (now THAT may not be popular) - I have had the opportunity to have a few beers with the gentleman, and I think he's a good guy...Given that, I have no agenda to slam the HIVE..I was also on the HIVE back in '98 as well.

I go to a bunch of different boards for a variety of reasons, and I was just reflecting on why I like this board so much. Its really that simple.

As far as the comment on a lack of Dawgs on this board - that could apply to any board..I discussed this because its a concept that people can relate to...If I would have said that one reason I like the board is because there aren't many "amillenialists or other non-dispensationalists" no one would have understood what I meant. Thus the comment on the dawgs - its germane to this board...

Anyway - thanks - no apology needed for me !

One more point (again). I hate that the original intent of the first post was diverted.

The whole point was that THIS BOARD ROCKS and
THANKS to the admins !!!

I bet we can ALL agree to that, true ?

I go to a bunch of different boards for a variety of reasons, and I was just reflecting on why I like this board so much. Its really that simple.

As far as the comment on a lack of Dawgs on this board - that could apply to any board..I discussed this because its a concept that people can relate to...If I would have said that one reason I like the board is because there aren't many "amillenialists or other non-dispensationalists" no one would have understood what I meant. Thus the comment on the dawgs - its germane to this board...

Anyway - thanks - no apology needed for me !
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahh, I understand where you are coming from now and I completely agree. I can admit when I am wrong!

Back