What record next year would get Chan......

Actually, none of those since we play 12 games this year. Given all that has happened recently, I don't think it will be fair to judge him soley on his won-lost record. It should be more a matter of how well the team plays. If they play well, smart, tough, and never give up, that will say a lot under the circumstances. When Ross went 2-9 and 3-8, it as apparent that his teams were extremely well-coached and that things would get better. We need to look for the same this year under Coach Gailey. I'm not saying we can't have a good year won-lost wise, but that shouldn't be the only criteria.

My take on CG and his staff is that
they have not been able to coach our
players "up." This is one area that
the previous staff excelled at.

If last year's coaching is any indication
of the staff's coaching abilities, I am
afraid that we fans are in for a long
season. I hope I am dead wrong and I
would love to say that I was wrong, but
I just don't see this team winning many
games the 2003 season with our current
coaching staff.

I agree, it is all based on the circumstances. Things that will get him fired quickly are more showings like the one in athens. If we play tough against all opponents then we will just have to see. I just hope this team gets excited. You cant teach enthusiasm, but it sure is a powerful thing.

Great posts everyone...

TML.. I dont think Gailey will be fired even if the record is horrible.. I think he gets a minimum of three years... but agree with GTFish.. it just depends on how the losses arrive.. more blowouts etc., and his lifeline is much shorter..

OldGoldBee hit the nail on the head.. we didnt coach up last year... if that continues this year then we have a trend that needs attention..

In my opinion though, I think this year is alot like many other years for Tech.. there is a chance we could be very bad, but there is also the chance that we can be very good... I think it all depends on the play of the QB... I like our OL coming back... most forget that we started 2 Freshmen and 2 Sophs on the DL against GA.. they will only get better (if they are coached up !!)... I like our LB's... but the key to me is QB.. if we get good QB play, we will have a good year... if not, we will struggle.. I think its as simple as that...

I guess I'll turn in my tickets (BYU & Clem as of now) and just forget the season as you guys have seen the season already and know whats has happened so I don't need to see Tech play.

Any combination of the following will probably do it: 1.) Winning less than 5. There would simply be NO excuse for this. 2.) Not improving as the season progresses...this is critical. 3.) ugag blow-out II. Like it or not, this would do it, and IMO should when considering their massive losses of key contributors, including the entire OL and 4 of their 5 best players on D. Again...NO excuses.

I believe IF the proper patience is given Bilbo, we will win 6-7 games. If he gets the quick hook during the first 4 very difficult games, then we will be in for a tough season. THWG

I think 4 wins or less could potentially have Chan fired. 5-7 with 4 losses by a touchdown or less would not get him fired. 5-7 with 4 losses by 2 or more TD's: probably. After teh Auburn game, the most vulnerable 3 games I see are @FSU, vs. N.C. State, and @Virginia.
1) FSU is away following a game in which we have already played a great team.
2) I know N.C. State is homecoming, but they are hungry to beat us.
3) It seems the home etam always wins the GT- UVA game. Look at 2001. A hook and ladder play. Home team success. I'd hate to see this rivalry be stopped on a yearly basis due to expansion.

I think it's about how the team plays as much as the record. If we beat the teams we should and play well in all our games he'll be back. If we play like we did against Ugag he won't.

BTW, I still get confused about the line about coaching players up. It seems half our fans think we're loaded with talent and the other half think we don't have the talent to win so we have to coach guys up. IMO good coaches get players to play to their potential. They also blend the talents of their team to be successful. If a player isn't good enough I don't believe you can "coach him up" enough to make a difference. So are you saying our coaches don't get the players to their potential or what?

I think he should be fired if he's 13-0.

It'll be too big a disappointment to too many of us fans.

I agree with most having the opinion Gailey's future depends on team play along with the record.

I think we will have a pretty good idea after the first four games.

It will depend more on how the big money backers see the season as opposed to how the average fan sees the season.

BellySeries
laugh.gif

drinking.gif

Back