What recruits say about the season

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
From the ajc. It’s honestly worth the read even though I know, the ajc sucks and I should be banned:

Grayson High wide receiver Ryan King may be one of the top high-school prospects in the state of Georgia, but his standing as a Georgia Tech commit makes him something of a target on his team with the Yellow Jackets now at 1-5.

“I get a lot of (grief) from teammates, joking around with me and stuff,” King said. “I mean, I’m not upset with (the team’s record). Coach (Geoff) Collins and the new staff came in with people they hadn’t recruited and changed everything around pretty much. I think the best is yet to come.”

King’s sentiments were echoed by two other noteworthy members of the 21-player group of seniors who have committed to Tech’s 2020 signing class. They further commented that, among other committed prospects, Tech’s rough start has not changed minds.

“We’re just positive-minded,” said Tyson Meiguez, a linebacker from Creekside High. “We’re just ready to get there, get to work.”

Meiguez, who committed to Tech over Kentucky, Tennessee, Duke among dozens of other schools, sees the Yellow Jackets’ issues as things that can be worked on.

Meiguez said that coaches are telling him that “it’s really just inexperience with the new system. It’s just going to take a year or two for everybody to gel in the new system and we should get things back on track.”

He said that Duke and Washington State continue to recruit him. Recruiters bring up Tech’s record with him.

“I’m just like, it’s a down year for them,” said Meiguez, rated the No. 54 player in the state of Georgia (247 Sports composite). “It’s a new staff and that’s not really the kids they recruited. Can’t really control that.”

Buford High cornerback Jalen Huff said that he watches every game and pays close attention. He watches to see how Tech is doing, adjustments that players make and getting a better feel of his future team and opponents.

“I think they’re doing good, but for me, I just think it’s growing pains,” said Huff, who had previously been committed to Oklahoma and picked Tech over offers from Notre Dame, Penn State, Oregon and others. “It wasn’t an easy transition.”

Huff said he sees week-to-week improvement. In the 41-23 loss at Duke Saturday, he said the team missed some big plays that could have changed the game, but played better and made fewer mistakes.

“You can see the hard work paying off,” Huff said. “(Cornerback) Tre Swilling – he plays the same position I’m going to play – watching him, I can see the technical things in his game and the plays he’s making every week.”

Huff, who is continuing to hear from Nebraska, Illinois and Central Florida, is planning to enroll in January.

“It’s really coming fast,” said Huff, rated the No. 59 player in the state of Georgia.

Like Meiguez and Huff, King said he sees the team getting better. He hears the same from receivers coach Kerry Dixon.

“He said the receivers have been improving a lot since they first got there and they’re getting more comfortable playing in the spread,” said King, rated the No. 41 prospect in the state.

He’s O.K. with the results on the field.

“I feel like they’re doing the best they can with what they have,” King said. “And that’s why they’re trying to recruit the people in my class so hard, so they can start the rebuilding process already.”

King said he stays in touch with a number of other players in the class, including cornerback Miles Brooks (Jacksonville, Fla.), quarterback Tucker Gleason (Tampa, Fla.), Meiguez and Huff.

“I think we’re all just looking on the bright side and looking towards the future from where they are now,” he said.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
It was a mostly positive article. I'm sure the kids are hearing quite a bit of noise around the trajectory of the current season so far. Sounds like they all know the deal...this was always going to be a difficult transition. CGC and crew will have their work cut out to get the entire current class to sign. I'm hopeful we can, because this appears to be a solid group.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
It was a mostly positive article. I'm sure the kids are hearing quite a bit of noise around the trajectory of the current season so far. Sounds like they all know the deal...this was always going to be a difficult transition. CGC and crew will have their work cut out to get the entire current class to sign. I'm hopeful we can, because this appears to be a solid group.
Especially the kids attitudes. I’m sure it’s hard for recruits to take öööö from team mates about their school having a bad season.

But then again for most kids who aren’t going anywhere it’s not like they can say much.

GoJackets89

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's hard to sell Tech to these guys when it's a huge transitional year and early playing is in the mix. These guys seem to have a more level head than some around here.

And lol at Duke trying to negatively recruit. Cutcliffe is an old man and we aren't hindered by the 3O stigma anymore. We are going to blow past those guys here soon and they'll return to the bottom where they belong.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried about it. CGC is a big time recruiter. He recruited well when working under O'Leary. He's assembled a staff of "Player's Coaches" that are well respected and liked by players.
We will sign a class that finishes in the top 30, certainly the best since Gailey's famed class that featured Dwyer, et. al.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I’m sure it’s hard for recruits to take öööö from team mates about their school having a bad season.
Just wait till they're just fans. Even harder for fans to take crap from friends about their school having a bad season.

Bloppy

Professional Homeowner
I don't think it's hard to sell Tech to these guys when it's a huge transitional year and early playing is in the mix. These guys seem to have a more level head than some around here.

And lol at Duke trying to negatively recruit. Cutcliffe is an old man and we aren't hindered by the 3O stigma anymore. We are going to blow past those guys here soon and they'll return to the bottom where they belong.
^^ Mine right.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Don’t act like you didn’t read it. I copied and pasted so you didn’t have to click on it.
I'm not mad at you. Calling for someone to be banned from this board is a neutral thing to say.

I am annoyed at the AUC for being ööööty.

Post the article where they ask doggie recruits, "Well, your team öööö the bed again and another season will probably pass without a national championship. It has never happened in your lifetime, and probably your mom's lifetime. Do you still plan on wasting your time by going there?"

rain

Dodd-Like
I hate them the second most out of anyone. I want them to cancel their program
Yes me too. Hating Georgia is second nature. I also hate ND. When any of these three play each other I’m conflicted. There is always the possibility of hoping for a meteor strike.
Dook grads ARE turds though, yes.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
The recruits should perceive a tremendous opportunity to play immediately. With the exceptions of defensive back, running back and punter, every starting position will be wide open next season.