What Time Do The Baby Jackets And Bullpups Play?

I think the game was better when it was true freshman, when it became a JV game it didn’t seem to have the attendance as before.

I remember dressing in coats and ties to attend the game with my parents a couple of times, whenever someone Dad had coached was playing in the game. Went to Camelia Gardens for a Thanksgiving dinnef of turkey and dressing and egg foo young and hot and sour soup. Almost A Christmas Story memory.

some pretty good brawls on the field if I recall correctly. when it got harder and harder to field a freshman team, i remember there was a general call for any students to sign up to play

College football has never been the same since freshman eligibility.

I would say that TV money has been the biggest negative influence on college football. Prior to the big money contracts, there wasn’t as much at stake with respect to cheating.

Recall how well Pat Moriarty played one year in the frosh game
That was the game that I was manager for the freshman team that went 5-0 by the way including wins over Alabama and Georgia. Pat was a good dude. Last I heard he got a law degree and was an executive with the Ravens I think.

BTW, that game would draw 40K and was always played at Grant Field.

Recall how well Pat Moriarty played one year in the frosh game

Pat had a great season in the fall of ‘73, my freshman year. The team was strong - recruited by Fulcher the year after the Liberty Bowl win. Sims played more on varsity, but that team had a prolific offense with Mike Johnson at QB, Pat at tailback, Tony Head at FB, Don Breece and John Steele at WR with Leo Tierney at center. Tony Daykin was on the team - a pretty good class.

Pat had a great season in the fall of ‘73, my freshman year. The team was strong - recruited by Fulcher the year after the Liberty Bowl win. Sims played more on varsity, but that team had a prolific offense with Mike Johnson at QB, Pat at tailback, Tony Head at FB, Don Breece and John Steele at WR with Leo Tierney at center. Tony Daykin was on the team - a pretty good class.
Along with Mark Hunter, Ed Senules, Elliot Price, Alex Bryan and Herbie Scales on the OL.

The 1972 Frosh team's OL would go 5-0-1, beat Bama's future MNC guys, UGag, and once on the varsity would lead the season rushing records until CPJ came along. The tie came to Clemson's JV team that had a TE that would go on to fame with the great Pittsburgh Steeler teams of the '70s, Bennie Cunningham.

OldFarTekkers will remember other names like E.O. Wheeler, Oby Brewer, Danny Myers, Rudy Allen, Tony Lubischer, Joe Malta, Red McDaniel(s), Jeff Urczyk, Howie Johnson, and some guy named Steve Raible.

I went back in the late '80s when I was a young lad. Tech won. That's all I remember.

Along with Mark Hunter, Ed Senules, Elliot Price, Alex Bryan and Herbie Scales on the OL.

The 1972 Frosh team's OL would go 5-0-1, beat Bama's future MNC guys, UGag, and once on the varsity would lead the season rushing records until CPJ came along. The tie came to Clemson's JV team that had a TE that would go on to fame with the great Pittsburgh Steeler teams of the '70s, Bennie Cunningham.

OldFarTekkers will remember other names like E.O. Wheeler, Oby Brewer, Danny Myers, Rudy Allen, Tony Lubischer, Joe Malta, Red McDaniel(s), Jeff Urczyk, Howie Johnson, and some guy named Steve Raible.
Those guys were fun to watch.

I would say that TV money has been the biggest negative influence on college football. Prior to the big money contracts, there wasn’t as much at stake with respect to cheating.
Oh, that's the driver. No doubt. Freshman eligibility, which was driven by TV, was the marker.

Back