What'll we do now?

No I leave in May after getting my BS in Civil Engineering

Awesome -- that is pretty much what I did as well. Had a blast.

Hope you are doing it with a few friends, rather than by yourself. Not sure I could have done it solo, although I know people who do it. I needed the friend support through some of the rainy days on the AT.

Might as well take several months off to go on a looooong hike. It ain't like there will be high demand to put that degree to work, right away. :ugh:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. If any of you have any connections at Hardin, Holder, Brassfield and Gorrie, RJ Griffin, or such please feel free to pass along. Yeah I figure no better time to go walk for a couple of months.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. If any of you have any connections at Hardin, Holder, Brassfield and Gorrie, RJ Griffin, or such please feel free to pass along. Yeah I figure no better time to go walk for a couple of months.
If CM isn't working, you could try design. Check w/ TPA. Jr. is usually pissed off at his current employees and looking for a replacement. ;)

To hold me over for GT football, I will be leaving on a plane to Maine, specifically Baxter State Park and then I will walk to Ga, specifically Springer Mountain.

/I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail this year

Have fun, and congratulations in advance. That is a hell of a hike. I used to stomp around Springer Mountain every year when I was a boy, and I've hiked part of the AT, but never the entire thing.

No I leave in May after getting my BS in Civil Engineering
The only piece of advice I can give is that graduating from college the dumbest thing I ever did. I'd kill to be back in, with no cares or worries.

I live a few miles from the trail now, walked on it one time. It goes through some pretty..."spectacular"...places here. Jerry Springer spectacular. Be careful.

To hold me over for GT football, I will be leaving on a plane to Maine, specifically Baxter State Park and then I will walk to Ga, specifically Springer Mountain.

/I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail this year

Why wouldn't you hike south to north instead and thus enjoy springtime on a much longer part of the hike?

Why wouldn't you hike south to north instead and thus enjoy springtime on a much longer part of the hike?

spring = rain
when camping, cold is better than wet most of the time, IMO

Makes sense.

i just went online and found another reason:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1038315/k.C75E/Weather.htm
The mildest weather on the A.T. typically occurs in the northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and southern Pennsylvania sections, which have the most favorable combination of low elevation and a southerly latitude. Georgia has comparable conditions, but is very crowded in March and April with hikers on spring break and aspiring northbound thru-hikers.

I live a few miles from the trail now, walked on it one time. It goes through some pretty..."spectacular"...places here. Jerry Springer spectacular. Be careful.

That is another reason why I asked about hiking with friends as well.

I did south to north -- was not bad -- not many hikers back in 86 crowding the trail. The rain was okay -- but luckily we had a dry year that year. I met a few who have done north to south and south to north -- and most thought north to south was a bit better. So good luck WaC!

Thanks guys for the good luck. I originally wanted to go Ga to Maine but the best time to leave as other have said is about Feb March or so. There are a couple thousand people that attempt it every year in that direction. Well I am currently working on my last semester at school and it would not be easy for me to quit school for one semester only to come back for one semester. So I figured just wait till I'm done with school to go on the trail.

Since I graduate in May it is actually very nice because that is also one of the best times to start in Maine. The temp should be up by then and it should mean that I will end the trail right as it starts to get cold here in the south. Also there are only a couple hundred that attempt the trail North to South.

Lastly, I will be going by myself. I had a friend that was going to go with me and then backed out just a couple months ago. Which left me with buying a lot more equipment (I now have a 2 person backpacking tent I will never take with me and a camping hammock). So if anyone wants to go with me, they are more than welcome. I have basically all the gear needed for two people (minus your personal stuff like pack, and sleeping bag).

Thanks guys for the good luck. I originally wanted to go Ga to Maine but the best time to leave as other have said is about Feb March or so. There are a couple thousand people that attempt it every year in that direction. Well I am currently working on my last semester at school and it would not be easy for me to quit school for one semester only to come back for one semester. So I figured just wait till I'm done with school to go on the trail.

Since I graduate in May it is actually very nice because that is also one of the best times to start in Maine. The temp should be up by then and it should mean that I will end the trail right as it starts to get cold here in the south. Also there are only a couple hundred that attempt the trail North to South.

Lastly, I will be going by myself. I had a friend that was going to go with me and then backed out just a couple months ago. Which left me with buying a lot more equipment (I now have a 2 person backpacking tent I will never take with me and a camping hammock). So if anyone wants to go with me, they are more than welcome. I have basically all the gear needed for two people (minus your personal stuff like pack, and sleeping bag).

First and most important thing to remember: An ounce in the morning is like a pound in the evening. Pack light. Very, very light.

Well I tried to get you a partner but it fell through. Good Luck however.

I was told to ask you about the Black Flies?

Thanks for the effort.

The black flies are a problem in Maine during the Summer. From what I have heard, they bite like a horsefly. Best way to get rid of bugs is to eat a clove of garlic in the morning. Not a good bug repellent for the real world, but out in the woods it will work just fine.

Back