What's with all the waffling from Chan?

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
What\'s with all the waffling from Chan?

He's said (or so says John Hollis) that we would run an even more conservative, close to the vest, Dallas-style offense this year. But in the AJC yesterday, there was this...

Just because he's starting a true freshman at quarterback doesn't mean Chan Gailey will be shy about pulling the trigger.

The Georgia Tech coach, who will be calling the plays for the Jackets this fall, said Monday that he has no intention of playing it close to the vest just because the inexperienced Reggie Ball will be at the helm.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What's the deal here? Is he trying to play Lou Holtz-esque mind games with everyone?

Re: What\'s with all the waffling from Chan?

Joltin.. I am not sure what you are referring to.. but I have never heard Gailey describe his offensive strategy that way...

Hollis has given his opinion.. akin to this on on August 3...

4. What will it mean for the offense with Gailey calling the plays?
Expect a more conservative approach, with more ball control and use of the tight ends in mind. Gailey and assistants Patrick Nix and Buddy Geis will need to move quickly in getting a good feel for their personnel. Gailey will call the majority of the plays and will be keenly aware that he has a young defense. Running the ball, controlling the clock and keeping the defense off the field as much as possible will be top priorities.

But I have never heard Gailey say anything like that.. or even seen a quote like that.. I have heard him say that he hopes to establish a good running game and get balanced production.. any coach would say that..

Holtz was/is one of the best at playing "poker".. and I would hope that Gailey is playing some himself..

In my opinion, given the depth problems on the defensive line, I would hope that we can have success running the ball and have some sustained drives.. it will sure help us late in the game on defense.

Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
What's the deal here? Is he trying to play Lou Holtz-esque mind games with everyone?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's more or less it.

Jacketguy, that was the article that I remember seeing it in. Seems like there was an article about it during the spring too. Hollis being a beat writer and all, you'd expect him to have an inside scoop. It looks like he was basically taking a stab in the dark at what kind of system Tech would be running this season.

I guess it means we will use the Tight Ends more this year...which means they will average 2 catches per game rather than 1.

Hollis took it out of context.

Read the complete interview on this subject at the following link.

Click on this

Does anyone remember what style offense Gailey's teams ran at Troy State???...
This info would go along way to letting us know what type he runs in college... to look at his NFL career and assume that is what we'll see here is not fair IMO...

Originally posted by casbah62:
This info would go along way to letting us know what type he runs in college... to look at his NFL career and assume that is what we'll see here is not fair IMO...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wow, that would be hard to find out, that was 20 years ago + it was Division II. As Chan has said and learned, "a lot has changed since then." Yeah. Speed, speed, and more speed. If you look at Ralph Freidgen's offense at GT from 87-91, and look at the latest after he had gone to NFL, it is totally different- Philosophy is same, but plays etc are totally diff. We will need Tenuta to come up with some magic to try and help Gailey tonite. I think Gailey will have a lot of rollout passess for Ball to get him out where he can see the receivers and so that he can run if needed. That would be very similar to the GT offenses in 89,90 with Shawn Jones. Because Ball, like Jones, is a great athelete, he can make up for any mistakes with his athleticism. That's what Gailey is hoping for tonite. We'll see. I would compare Ball more to Jones than Hamilton anyway. Our National Championship year, Jones had 12 touchdowns passing, and 13 interceptions, but the intangibles of making big plays with his feet (6 rushing TD's) was what made hima winner. Ball will eventually be similar I believe.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm pretty sure it was The Wishbone.

Gailey has always modified his offense to the talent he has to work with. If I had to sum up his philosophy it would be: Have a strong running game. Everything else plays off the run.

I beelieve that Coach Gailey ran the
wishbone while he was at Troy State.

While a very conservative offense, the
wishbone was fun to watch. But I
honestly beelieve that the wishbone
has seen it's day.

However, there are variations of the 'bone
like the flex-bone or the spread as used
by Georgia Southern and the Air Force
Academy.

But as Father Wasp alluded to in a post
several days it takes a stable of running
backs who are unselfish and a good option
QB.

One of the best option QB's I have ever seen
was the Morgan kid for the Air Force Falcons
and also the kid from the state of Georgia
who was the QB for the Air Force. He was
a runner-up for the Heisman his Senior year.

I beelieve the kid's name was Dee Dowis.

Master B weighed in on this topic on the Hive a few days ago. The gist of what he said, if I remember correctly, was that he has seen all but one practice. In those practices they have been running a balanced offense between running and throwing and they occasionally have taken a shot at the home run ball. They have been moving the ball on the first team defense. He doesn't see any reason not to expect the same kind of play calling in a game that he has seen in practice.

Thanks all for the timely responses...
I would guess that if given time Gailey will return to his 'Roots' in one form or another... the Shawn Jones example is one that I think we'll see.... stables of running backs will come with a couple of more years of recruiting...
I think we'll welcome our young men home as winners tomorrow... although I anticipate a long evening with few nails remaining and even less hair....

GO JACKETS!!!

Gnome..Actually Hamilton was a tad faster and more elusive that Shawn Jones was...Reggie has more speed than Hamilton..Now it remains to be seen if he is illusive or possible better. In other words Ball is Faster than ANY QB we have ever had..Although he might not be as fast as Vick (NO ONE IS) Ball could very well be the fastest starting QB at any of the Major schools in the Country...Notice i said Starting QB...Shockley at Uga is probably as fast.. I think we will have to look at the WHOLE season to tell....

Back