When/if Ga Tech ever sees the day we can't beat a BYU

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
When/if Ga Tech ever sees the day we can\'t beat a BYU

team coming off a 5-7 2-5 campaign, on any field, is the day Ga Tech needs to take it's football program in a new direction, FAST.
Most expert projections have the Cougars doing no better this yr than they did last yr. GT should be able to handle this outfit much the same as we did last yr, in much the same way.
The national media & fan perception that GT's program has gone this far south so fast is mindboggling. There's no way GT loses to this Mountain West also-ran.
The real test will come vs Auburn.

Re: When/if Ga Tech ever sees the day we can\'t beat a BYU

What's the point in this post? BYU as a program has at least as much national legitimacy as GT no matter whether we want to admit it. And actually most predictions I've seen of BYU do have them doing better than last year. Maybe 3-4 in their conference but certainly a winning record.

BTW, isn't this about 2 weeks old from the Hive?

Just want to get the juices flowing.
I think Ga Tech should beat BYU & by slightly more than nailbiter status. I don't think that GT should lose to BYU anywhere, anytime. I think GT is a stronger program in a much better/tougher conf than the Utahans.
You think BUY, whatever, has as much national legitimacy as Ga Tech, & I don't. You've seen predictions of the Cougars doing better this yr than last, I haven't.
You say maybe 3-4 in their conf with a winning record. I can't see that since they play GT, So Cal, Stanford & Notre Dame out of conf which goes with their 3-4 in conf. I think they'll be very hardpressed to be as good as last yr's 5-7.
Do you want to debate college football or posting philosophies?
smile.gif

So, we have to have 2 Tony Hollings TD's in the 4th quarter to rally after trailing to the worst BYU team since 1973 and we supposedly "should handle this outfit, much the same way we did last year?" We lost 10 to academics, we dont have Hollings, we are at Provo with a true Freshman most probably going to start at QB, we lack depth on both lines- but wven with all that I still think our 1st string should win this game for us. But there is no good excuse for what we had to do last year just to win the game. BYU changed QB's, they lost Whalen early in the game, and still almost beat us if it werent for 36 carries by Hollings. I hope our staff does a better job but I dont see us handling anybody. Gailey is going to have to use those 29 years of experience and help this team win some games, and he better figure out a way to win this first one-It is a must win for this team and this staff.

Originally posted by JJacket:
If we get quality play out of Ball, we will be better than last year. The OL is huge and has nothing to fear from any D line it faces this year, even Auburn. I know some say we are a little undersized on the D-line, but we always are - get well soon Gathers - but Wrotto will be a good one. Our secondary is faster and better and our RB's are healthy and we've added speed with Grant and Woods. Our return game is going to be in fast motion so BYU better not miss their first lick and let our guys see a seam. The only missing component is Bilbo coming through at WR, where I feel he will eventually be a pro prospect because of his size and incredible strength, which is more akin to lineman strength than WR.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">1 injury on the OL and we are in huge trouble. Already in trouble on DL. 4 out of first eight are freshman (3 true, 1 redshirt). Like I said, first string I still be feel fine, but any injury and that is why depth, recruiting, and coaching need to be in line. Our coaches need to figure out a way for this team to win this game, because we got a lot of youngsters playing out there.

Ace,
I hope you are kidding.BYU is probably the equivalent of Tech on both OFF and DEF in talent and depth.(see GNOME answer to get specifics)The real difference will the home field disadvantage with our Fr QB and their KICKING game .We are lucky there is not a bigger spread.
I will be impressed if CG pulls this out.Similar to Clemson game last yr,-shouda,wouda,couda.

&lt;crickets&gt; chirurp, chirurp, chirurp....

If we get quality play out of Ball, we will be better than last year. The OL is huge and has nothing to fear from any D line it faces this year, even Auburn. I know some say we are a little undersized on the D-line, but we always are - get well soon Gathers - but Wrotto will be a good one. Our secondary is faster and better and our RB's are healthy and we've added speed with Grant and Woods. Our return game is going to be in fast motion so BYU better not miss their first lick and let our guys see a seam. The only missing component is Bilbo coming through at WR, where I feel he will eventually be a pro prospect because of his size and incredible strength, which is more akin to lineman strength than WR.

Originally posted by gnats:
&lt;crickets&gt; chirurp, chirurp, chirurp....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Your quote should read "and they never quit or made excuses along the way."

GT will breeze through this game in preparation for a real test with Auburn.

Never underestimate the enemy. It is the first step towards defeat. I believe we will beat BYU, but we will have to play our very best to do it. I expect a tough game where our guys face adversity and rise to the challenge and show more character than they did at any point last year.

Gnome's post is accurate. I'm not sure where some of this unfounded optimism is coming from, but I can count on one hand the number of times in recent years we blew ANYONE out. For every Vandy there is a struggle against Duke. With BYU at home, a freshman QB and having lost Hollings, Hargrove, Gathers not playing, etc. I can see why BYU is listed as the favorite. Blowing them out a sure thing?? Let's just be happy if we can win - period.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that
we will have an easy time with BYU!!

Provo is a very tough place to play
and we will be hard pressed to win
there.

I can speak volumes about the maturity
level of their players. I don't believe
that many of you realize that we will be
playing players that are older than the
"average" Div.1-A Senior players.

And believe me a year or two in age can
make a huge difference in the maturity
level of football players.

We are also one or two injuries away
from really creating havoc with our depth
chart.

Now, don't get me wrong I expect us to
win, but I honestly believe we will have
a tough fight on our hands.

IT's GREAT TO BEE A YELLOW JACKET!!"

Hey Tech fans, this is an honor to write a first post on your board. My dad graduated AVIS from GT back in I think 51 so I grew up loving the wrambl'n wreck. I have followed GT ever since. Hey I even own a Mustang GT... so of coarse I am a big TECH fan. Now for a reality check however, I have covered the west for many years and I read a lot of wonderful things about the hopes and dreams of your program. You should be optimits as Tech has a lot going for it in spite of the academic losses. Brains win games and you have smart players. The other side of that coin is the problem of being overconfident. A lot of times, BYU has traveled south and east and played teams and lost. Sometimes people look only at the box scores. They also look at BYU's bowl record which is pretty unimpressive. But again, BYU is a cold weather program and so most people following the sport in general never get into the nuts and bolts of differences which exist in programs. Michigan was horrible in bowls during the same era and precisely for the same reasons, cold weather team playing in the south or west, long road trip, never the home team, limited practice time, finals schedules which conflict, etc. Football at the college level is subject to so many external influences and that's why any team can sometimes just get good enough execution and the right bounces to win on any given Saturday. As a football writer, I've seen the ball bounce in a lot of funny ways. The one thing I can say in defense of your Thursday Evening opponent is, they are a tremendous program. Most of GT's players will find that their travel to Provo is much more exciting than a bus trip to Athens. They will be playing in thinner, dryer air most likely. They will more than anything take on a team which has exceptional athletes and far more team speed than you realize. BYU is big and strong albiet untested up front. But their RS freshman on the OL will be exceptional athletes. You don't start or make the 2-deep there if you can't bench over 400 Lbs and it's been that way for 25 years. Up front, they are a lot like Tech size-wise, although this year they've gone to smaller, leaner tackles with a lot of extension and good feet. They don't have tons of experience and that's where Tech has an advantage offensively. Conversely, BYU was always strong at stopping running games until two or three seasons ago. They have a new scheme but I think 19 of ther first 22 defenders back from last year and a secondary that is much deeper and returns great depth. They have very fast linebackers that all move laterally well and go three deep on the D-Line in their new 3-3-5 alignment. They are smaller and quicker like GT. They have been moving the ball pretty well against their own defense and frankly, their own defense my very well be a top 25 unit this year. Last year was an abberation for them. They spend a lot more time in the top 25 than they do in the bottom 70. Nebraska isn't expected to have another year like last year either and bad years are bound to happen every once in a while... 40 something years for Nebraska, 30 for BYU... What I am telling you is that NCJacket is correct. GT struggled to defeat a badly beaten up Cougar team at home last year, capitalizing on mistakes late in the game which could have gone either way. This BYU team is much more like the unheralted group that went 12-2 the previous season, but has a much better defensive set (most of those 2001 d-players are still at BYU), they are at home and they expect to win. If TECH loses this game, I worry the Jackets will lose respect for themselves instead of gaining respect for a very formidable opponent on the road in a tough venue. History, don't let it repeat... #3 ranked Pitt made that mistake on opening day in 1984, losing to what eventually became the National Champion BYU team that sent 27 players into the pros. Pitt not only tanked their season, they dropped off radar for several years after that because they just couldn't bare the thought of losing to a BYU. They forgot to respect their opponent. My family is from the South and so I grew up believeing in God, country and football... but you know, they hit like trucks out west and know how to play with the pig there too. So good luck, be thankful you have a great nucleus (Sagarin has GT at #30) and if you win, great, but if you lose, then go out and defeat Auburn the following week. Thanks for letting me come on board and for my father's sake, I hope TECH has a great year.

Sports forum west...BYU is a VERY tough team to beat at home..Miami found that out a few years back...GT has arguabley the 3rd or 4th toughest schedule in the country..Coupled with the fact that we are the most shorthanded we have been in many moons..We will be playing a lot of TRUE FROSH..So this will be a very TOUGH game for GT to win..
The most intruiging part to this game is going to be the play of our True Frosh.QB Reggie Ball..If he doesnt play like a Frosh. then we have a chance..He is suppose to be a good one..So we will wait and see...

Forum, great reply with well founded facts. You will find that most Tech fans are very knowledgable and therefore know exactly the kind of uphill battle that is in store for us on Thurs. night. You are correct - mature, strong lineman have always been a bedrock of the BYU program. Also, it is tough place to play. With all the starters returning and a new emphasis on defense, BYU may be the surprise in your conference.

This one will be tough for Tech.

Back