When you say you're not looking past....

ReeBee

Varsity Lurker
When you say you\'re not looking past....

..the next opponent, that's EXACTLY what you're doing. The words should never come up.

I'm not talking about a jinx or superstition thing. It's the coaching staff's responsibility to keep the players motivated and focused, and teach them that you must respect every single opponent.

I don't think Tech respected Duke. I had hoped that Duke's performance against UT would get our attention, but I heard that phrase too many times last week.

Too much talk about bowl games.

Too little preparation for Duke.

Re: When you say you\'re not looking past....

Disclaimer: This is not a Chan bashing post; just an observation.

I always loved O'Leary's philosophy of 11 or 12 "one game seasons." They spent the entire week focusing on that one team...nothing in the past or nothing in the future. When that "season" was over, they moved onto the next. It always seemed to work in his 7+ years here. I can't remember many games where anyone mentioned anything about the players "not coming to play" or "not being focused" or whatever.

I don't get the "worked the past 7 years" comment

did you go the maryland, clemson, and uva games in '01?

that team was MUCH better than this team and we didn't show up for those games

if we had Joe Burns in the back field and THAT LINE we would have at least 2 more wins

I agree that we should've won each of those games in '01, but I wouldn't say we didn't come to play in any of them. We were still in position to win each game with one or two more plays.

Now, I'll definitely say we didn't come to play in the UGA and F$U games that year. We played with a little fire for a while, but things went downhill fast.

Back