Where have we improved?

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
Since last season.. can’t point out a definite improvement besides incoming freshman making a play or two on their own merit.. maybe WR play?

Are we chalking this up to disrupted spring/summer? A lot of freshman?

even game management still seems goofy. I thought that would end once we settled on one QB

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
We have improved in talent. Execution is up and down but we are definitely more talented than a year ago and way more than two years ago. How we respond in our next game will tell us a lot about our coaching staff.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Our biggest issue right now is defensive team speed at the LB and DB positions. Our players often look out of position because they lack speed to get to the spots the faster offensive players get too. UCF, Syracuse, and Clemson’s WR’s and RB’s all took advantage of the lack of speed. You can’t coach over that. Not one of Johnson’s DC’s could scheme over our lack of speed. Right now, we are seeing what the lack of speed recruited in 2016, 2017, and , 2018 looks like. It’s all about recruiting bigger/faster guys which we are doing.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
This is subjective, but it seems like we are trying to do the things I expected we would try to do last year. Last year, we didn't even have the players to try to run the new offense. This year, we have the athletes to try to run it and, about 40% of the time, we do it pretty well. That's progress to me and, if we get it up to 60% of the time next year, we could have a winning season.

Since we're trying to do what I thought we were going to eventually do, I'm less frustrated than I was last year. Clemson beat us 73-7. But, it's still just one loss, and I didn't think we'd beat them.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Since last season.. can’t point out a definite improvement besides incoming freshman making a play or two on their own merit.. maybe WR play?

even game management still seems goofy. I thought that would end once we settled on one QB
Lol...retarded. The offense is night and day better. Clown post right after the Clemson game. Where was this post last week?

aeromech

Dodd-Like
O line and offense in general have improved a lot, today notwithstanding. Defense has been really disappointing.

Yes. I think playing a lot of freshmen, no spring, etc hurts us more than teams with a more established system.
I agree somewhat. OL has improved and did what I thought was decent job in pass protect today considering who they were up against. They aren't physical enough to drive block Clemson's DL; but that shouldn't surprise anyone. I thought CDP took a big step backwards today after some promising games this season. It just felt like CDP couldn't see the big picture and was in way over his head. I would have liked to have seen another QB get some time particularly after that inexplicable fumble on our 5.

Defense has been a mixed bag. They got some turnovers today; but the offense did absolutely zero to help them out. I don't know what the time of possession was for the first half; but it seemed like our offense had the ball for about 5 minutes. Defense has seemed to be hot and cold all season though. The entire second half was garbage time and they looked tired and demoralized and simply quit.

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
Our biggest issue right now is defensive team speed at the LB and DB positions. Our players often look out of position because they lack speed to get to the spots the faster offensive players get too.
The LBs look very slow. Sometimes I think they take bad angles too, but it could just be speed.

I've tried to watch, how often are we getting pressure from the front four?? I feel like we don't move the pocket much.

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
Lol...retarded. The offense is night and day better. Clown post right after the Clemson game. Where was this post last week?
To me there’s no difference in offensive execution or ability in the Louisville game compared to James graham and the offense in the nc state game last year

and I’m counting both opponents as similar talent level

the offense is night and day better? I don’t think so

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
We need to start playing the other young lineman. If Minihan continues to struggle with snaps we need to give Vaipulu a chance.
This really irks me at all positions. If this year doesn’t count then we need to be getting as many snaps for the younger guys as we can. We will be at best a .500 team with luck. There is no excuse with not playing more young guys. I would rather Graham or Yates move to another position so Simms and Gleason get more attention. (If they are taking any practice time).

TechAKnee

Flats Noob
This really irks me at all positions. If this year doesn’t count then we need to be getting as many snaps for the younger guys as we can. We will be at best a .500 team with luck. There is no excuse with not playing more young guys. I would rather Graham or Yates move to another position so Simms and Gleason get more attention. (If they are taking any practice time).
I guess the challenge is the whole competition is king mentality. The best players should play regardless. However, I can’t explain why a player like Curry is still taking snaps late in the game today. That makes no sense to me.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member

Get serious. Look at our offensive production per game. I mean at least do a little bit of homework.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
I guess the challenge is the whole competition is king mentality. The best players should play regardless. However, I can’t explain why a player like Curry is still taking snaps late in the game today. That makes no sense to me.
This is the most specific example I had in mind when writing my post.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
That has to be tempered with what is best for the team in the long run. Especially when the outcome of a game is already decided.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
We only had 3 penalties

I was told after the UCF game how poorly coached and undisciplined we were......funny what happens when you don't bring your own refs with you