OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
The records of futility laid at the feet of CGC:

First home shutout in decades.
First FCS loss in decades.
Worst conference loss ever.
Worst program loss ever.

In a span of 1 1/4 seasons.
If we had just transitioned after the 2015 disaster, think, we could be in year 5 of the most monumental college football redevelopment of all time, but noooooo. We had to hold on and lose to Duke a few more times.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
It means UNC is just another crummy Pinstripe Bowl bound ACC "team." This league has no business being a Power Five conference. Clemson has everything the SEC is looking for: no classes and no class. I wish they would go to the SEC. They got their rep playing ACC marshmallows. Let them try playing real teams.
:eek: Now I see clearly where you are coming from. You have no expectation whatsoever of Georgia Tech playing big boy football. You actually want us drop down and play small ball.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
You dickheads need to get over your cognitive dissonance and stop using tired excuses as a crutch cause those facts along with all the other dumbass öööö CGC pulls aren’t just bumps in the road or growing pains. Those are considerable ööööing black eyes that are concerning.
I'm not against CGC; but if we are ever going to become competitive with Clemson or UGA at some point CGC will have to make some significant staff changes. Pnope is not going to out scheme Venables no matter how many recruiting classes we have. You are absolutely right though, the cognitive dissonance of the juice drinkers is mind boggling. The "it is Paul Johnson's fault" excuse can only last so long; at some point the current staff has to take ownership.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The ONLY reason Paul Johnson's last 3-4 teams never got beat by 66 points is because they had better coaching. In fact, no team in the history of the ACC has ever been beaten this badly before now. Not even the Carl Franks' Duke teams. during their 22 game losing streak. We got totally dominated by Clemson in 2018 and still scored 21 points even though we apparently had a smaller OL, worse QB, and worse RB's.
I think it’s just the strategy.
It means UNC is just another crummy Pinstripe Bowl bound ACC "team." This league has no business being a Power Five conference. Clemson has everything the SEC is looking for: no classes and no class. I wish they would go to the SEC. They got their rep playing ACC marshmallows. Let them try playing real teams.
Clemson beat Alabama the last two times they played in the national championship. One of them was a blowout. What makes you think they would not be auburn, Tennessee and Florida? Those same teams are “marshmallows “ too. They just have more fans and bigger stadiums.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Our Offense is better than last year but we can't protect the ball. Our defense is not better. We only beat Louisville because of turnover margin that game. With just a little more bad luck we could be sitting at 0-5. The coaching needs to improve.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
I am also disappointed in the defense. I expected some of this “2nd best recruiting class in GT history” to see the field....but that’s not happening. Even yesterday when our guys were totally gassed we insisted on leaving in starters that simply weren’t getting it done.

Of course I also understand that we’re in an age of offense...and that many defenses across the country have looked bad. Georgia was considered the best defense in the country... and they gave up almost 600 yards of offense last night.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I'm not against CGC; but if we are ever going to become competitive with Clemson or UGA at some point CGC will have to make some significant staff changes. Pnope is not going to out scheme Venables no matter how many recruiting classes we have. You are absolutely right though, the cognitive dissonance of the juice drinkers is mind boggling. The "it is Paul Johnson's fault" excuse can only last so long; at some point the current staff has to take ownership.
I don't really disagree, but I would still say year 2 (especially with all the other crazy corona öööö) is still a point where "needing total turnover of the roster" is having a strong effect on what's happening on the field. The "Paul Johnson fault" reasoning gets said so often cause it seems like every time we lose a game or even look bad at any point during a game, half the people on this board throw that out of their brains. We basically wind up with two cognitive dissonances bitching at each other.

I'm not really sold on Patenaude, but I'm not really ready to condemn him for at least another year. It's hard to scheme anything on offense when every snap you play a guessing game of "which offensive lineman will fk up or wiff completely?". That said, I do agree we need to be ready and willing to go with someone else when we think we have the players in place and the playcaller isn't getting it done.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I was really hoping to see more TE plays out of us. I guess we have work to do getting those guys stronger and more talented. A good TE has the ability to get down the field 7-8 yards, shield off the defender, and make a catch.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I was really hoping to see more TE plays out of us. I guess we have work to do getting those guys stronger and more talented. A good TE has the ability to get down the field 7-8 yards, shield off the defender, and make a catch.
I think part of it may be we feel we need them as blockers more.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I agree with that. I also agree we are still outclassed greatly in talent.
I can see CDP growth. Don't really see any CAT growth. Our guys are out of position on defense constantly. DBs chasing a WR or TE down the field by more than a couple yards are out of place, not necessarily untalented.

Unfortunately, we are back to waiting a week to see exactly how much we've progressed and where we stand. Clem's Son is not a good barometer for us at this point in the rebuild.

JRJacket

Flats Noob
I’ll tell you where we haven’t improved: snapping the football. My Goodness. Every snap this year is at Sims’ ankles, and it finally caught up to us yesterday on the early fumble. It feels like this should be a very fixable problem. Yet here we are in game 5 and it’s still happening.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I’m bothered by defense but I do think it is a talent issue: our DTs are well below average; DEs are average at best and haven’t been 100% healthy. Our LBs are below average. That is too much to overcome upfront to scheme around it. I think our DBs are so focused on helping with the run that they don’t play their position.

On Def if you have any weakness then you are in troubled. We have too much to improve to fix this season.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I’ll tell you where we haven’t improved: snapping the football. My Goodness. Every snap this year is at Sims’ ankles, and it finally caught up to us yesterday on the early fumble. It feels like this should be a very fixable problem. Yet here we are in game 5 and it’s still happening.
Yeah, but also it’s the responsibility of one man. If he can’t improve drastically but yet he’s still your best blocker what do you do?

JRJacket

Flats Noob
Yeah, but also it’s the responsibility of one man. If he can’t improve drastically but yet he’s still your best blocker what do you do?
How can it be that hard to teach a snap?? Maybe I’m wrong.. I just don’t get how practice cannot fix that.